Solar system questions

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markcl

VIP Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 175 watt panel system in shed to learn and charge power tool batteries. It doesn’t work below freezing so looking to do system two in house. I want to start with 400 watts of panel but they will be 25 ft from mppt controller then 200amp lithium batteries and inverter than 10 more feet to power panel . Now the questions what wire sizes?
12 or 24 volt panels? What size inverter? There is room for 800 watts of panels , how much bigger wires would it take?

24V for longer runs, 2000W inverter should be ok,
800/24= 33A coming down from the panels. industrial 3-phase cable would be good, you can pick it up cheap second hand too. It has 4 wires inside, 2 for +ve, 2 for the -ve

Keep the regulator, inverter and battery close together. Many Inverters of the 2000W stripe have an inbuilt solar regulator, typically 30A. Thats too small for 800W of panels though unless you get decent loss on the way down from the panels. There is always loss. Perhaps a bigger inverter/regulator

I have a 175 watt panel system in shed to learn and charge power tool batteries. It doesn’t work below freezing so looking to do system two in house. I want to start with 400 watts of panel but they will be 25 ft from mppt controller then 200amp lithium batteries and inverter than 10 more feet to power panel . Now the questions what wire sizes?
12 or 24 volt panels? What size inverter? There is room for 800 watts of panels , how much bigger wires would it take?
My new solar panels are 200 feet from the battery bank. They are 4, 415 watt panels and I ran 10 gauge wires. My system is 24 volt, my battery bank in 12, 2 volt batteries at 1169 amp hours each.

Which ever inverter you use make sure more can be added if later you want to increase the system ,I had a Goodwe 4.6 kw , but could not add any more ( did not realise this back in 2019 that I might want to increase ), I have changed to a 10Kw Sunsynk , which more can be added , although that is not needed this time around , it is 48 vlt , only installed 10 days ago , also increased the panels to 24 ( total 9.97 kw ) batteries are Pylontech 2.4 kw ,by 8 units ( total 19.2 kw ), our power is 220 vlt AC in South Africa, also the DC circuit braker has capacity to add more on the system , I had to change from 180 amp to 250amp , I am using 40 kw plus now from the sun , used to be max 25 kw ,it is a learning curve , cost wise not really profitable going green never is , but having constant power here is a must , good luck going forward

Which ever inverter you use make sure more can be added if later you want to increase the system ,I had a Goodwe 4.6 kw , but could not add any more ( did not realise this back in 2019 that I might want to increase ), I have changed to a 10Kw Sunsynk , which more can be added , although that is not needed this time around , it is 48 vlt , only installed 10 days ago , also increased the panels to 24 ( total 9.97 kw ) batteries are Pylontech 2.4 kw ,by 8 units ( total 19.2 kw ), our power is 220 vlt AC in South Africa, also the DC circuit braker has capacity to add more on the system , I had to change from 180 amp to 250amp , I am using 40 kw plus now from the sun , used to be max 25 kw ,it is a learning curve , cost wise not really profitable going green never is , but having constant power here is a must , good luck going forward
I have electric home but with a smaller propane fireplace/stove so this is for lights, wi-fi and emergency refrigerator….

Latest posts

Back