Solar Backup System

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay Im a mechanical engineer but I get lost as a human can get when it comes to electrical work any more complex than a outlet or a ceiling fan, I want to get a little solar array running I don't plan on using for anything other than a emergency system often so basically here's a list breakout of what I want the system to be like if anyone can be kind enough too give me some pointers

Property Info of what im working with: Partially shaded throughout the day, I'd say some spots get a solid (easy) 7 hours throughout the year constantly (which I don't know much about solar but I know that isn't prime but those 7 hours are fully unshaded sun hitting most of the roof)
as low tech (no bluetooth phone hook up crap) as possible
Id like for a system to be able to just run mostly at night current estimate for past 3 bills would break down to 16000 watts a day
I could do some more optimizing to my power usage so I think I could work it down to 13000 a day with some tweaks

What I need help with: how many and what size panels would I need to run that system 24/7 if need be?
how many and what sized batteries?
and I want something that would automatically kick on something rigged to the breaker box to auto kick on if it detects no power from actually regular power grid (so do they make something like that if so what is it called?)
and that's preeeeety much it

Okay Im a mechanical engineer but I get lost as a human can get when it comes to electrical work any more complex than a outlet or a ceiling fan, I want to get a little solar array running I don't plan on using for anything other than a emergency system often so basically here's a list breakout of what I want the system to be like if anyone can be kind enough too give me some pointers

Property Info of what im working with: Partially shaded throughout the day, I'd say some spots get a solid (easy) 7 hours throughout the year constantly (which I don't know much about solar but I know that isn't prime but those 7 hours are fully unshaded sun hitting most of the roof)
as low tech (no bluetooth phone hook up crap) as possible
Id like for a system to be able to just run mostly at night current estimate for past 3 bills would break down to 16000 watts a day
I could do some more optimizing to my power usage so I think I could work it down to 13000 a day with some tweaks

What I need help with: how many and what size panels would I need to run that system 24/7 if need be?
how many and what sized batteries?
and I want something that would automatically kick on something rigged to the breaker box to auto kick on if it detects no power from actually regular power grid (so do they make something like that if so what is it called?)
and that's preeeeety much it
For my solar electric system I have 10 - 295 watt panels, 8 - 430 AH lead acid batteries and a 4,000 watt inverter. I think I get around 10,000 -12,000 watts of power per day. Plus I have a 12 kw diesel generator with an auto start for backup. During summer we get get all the electric we need. We have a small house, just under 2,000 sq ft and we're running 2 chest freezers, plus a large fridge and washer and dryer, AC etc. Normally in summer we run out of battery power at about 2-4 am and the generator automatically starts. I have it programed to run for 4 hours before shutting down, I calculated thats enough time for it to go through; bulk charging, absorb charging and finally float. Year round the backup generator averages 3.8 hours run time per 24 hours. I'm considering adding an additional 5 - 10 more solar panels, with a solar tracker, and replacing my current battery bank for a larger one. I may have to get a larger inverter too.
Our well is on a separate generator 1/4 mile from the house. I'm currently in the process of connecting a new 12 kw propane generator that will automatically start the pump when the pressure tank drops below a pre set pressure.
I think when we're all done we'll be at around $100,000 for this system. At this location there isn't any other choice for electric.
Good luck with yours.

Lots of good stuff on youtube etc but since you are obviously after a large mains voltage system you really should talking to an electrician who specializes in solar installs. That's the best advice I could give you even though I have built 3 small offgrid solar systems. Do a couple of weeks research about it all on the web so you know the basics then look for an owner operator business, not a marketing one that employes sub contractors.

It's quite complex to do, even mounting the rooftop panels is complex and a big job best left to a pro I believe. Good luck

This looked like the correct thread for solar...
I have been looking to see if anyone made a container farm that was off-grid and completely powered by solar panels. Our hydroponic containers are, but we also have a solar array that includes the rooftops of the entire shopping center, so it's not a fair comparison. I did find Boxpower and the first unit on their website would easily power one of our hydroponic containers but the catch is, they want 20K for it! The nice thing is that it could be attached to a container like Cubicfarm makes or even better a DYI container you set up yourself.

Latest posts

Back