skunk.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one here is really dutch. We all have Swiss ancestry. Penn dutch is the language for the amish. But there are differences in dialects depending on what community you're in.

My brothers ex wife lived in Minnesota and she moved back once she got full custody of our Niece.
We watched Her graduation on YouTube and I was shocked at how many of the kids graduating had my last name!
My family used to be the only one in Houston with my last name and now there are dozens of them.

No one here is really dutch. We all have Swiss ancestry. Penn dutch is the language for the amish. But there are differences in dialects depending on what community you're in.

I tought the Amish are using an kind of very old (ancient) german? In fact with my swiss german (which is anyway different from german) i can understand a lot of this Amish speak.

It is mixed with some german. One of our sons is fluent in german, but not in Penn Dutch, and some is the same. The language was brought to America in the 1700's by the first amish boat, and again in the 1800's by the second boat. So it's developed in America since then. What is interesting is that alot of it is not so much written, as it is spoken. And the Bible that is quoted and read in church is the German one. The letters are taught and written old script style and are still taught today as the alphabet in the amish schools.

Latest posts

Back