skunk.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yikes!!!
We live in a master planned community but we still have gators,coyotes,possums and skunks!!!
The dogs love anything that gets over or under the fence.
They eat the possums but they tried to taste the skunks this evening unfortunately.
Bad idea for them.
They'll be sleeping in the backyard for awhile.

What is a master planned community? Is it a housing complex with HOA?

A master planned community is one that the developer planned and developed…consisting of different areas of the development that have different housing pricing. They normally share nice recreation areas and pools. Many of them consist of 55+ age groups…not all of course.

Just be glad it wasn't a porcupine!

My dog Hazel....

20210729_135027.jpg
20210729_143836.jpg

So we take her to the vet and $2000 later she no longer had quills in her throat...(she actually caught the dang thing)

A week later....Seriously Miss Hazel?

20210801_091032.jpg

What I have done for skunk that does a decent job is mix Lavender oil, lemon grass oil, sandalwood oil and dawn dish soap and wash them down...rinse, repeat. Works pretty good.

Last edited:
Just be glad it wasn't a porcupine!

My dog Hazel....

View attachment 15757View attachment 15758

So we take her to the vet and $2000 later she no longer had quills in her throat...(she actually caught the dang thing)

A week later....Seriously Miss Hazel?

View attachment 15759

What I have done for skunk that does a decent job is mix Lavender oil, lemon grass oil, sandalwood oil and dawn dish soap and wash them down...rinse, repeat. Works pretty good.

One of my female boxers had a run in with a porcupine,a skunk and a feral hog.
I let out the dogs before daylight when I heard her yelp,knew right of the bat what had happened.
Woke the Wife up and said Katy just got into it with a porcupine,She said how do you know?
Asked Her what else could it be? Sure enough She had a full beard of quills in Her face.
Thankfully She didnt get any down Her throat and a pair of pliers and some peroxide She was good as new.
Thing is She's a total sweetheart and wouldnt harm a soul.

What is a master planned community? Is it a housing complex with HOA?

Not really.
It's a neighborhood that was designed from the ground up.
Housing prices range from 250k into the multi millions price tag.
It was ranked #1 in the US several years ago,not sure where it sits today.
We moved here 16 years ago after an attempted home invasion.
Sad really,when we got married it was a nice neighborhood but after that attempted home invasion and people renting their homes to undesirables it was time to get out.

I've had horses get in to porcupines before. Its tough to get a horse to settle down enough to get the quills out.
When I was a kid I'd get sprayed by skunks a couple times a year. Mom wouldn't let me in the house and I had to hose off outside. I was made to ride in the back of the bus on the way to school.

A paste of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda with a drop of Dawn dish soap. Rub in. I keep a kit of it in the workshop.

Tomato juice is for you Bloody Mary afterwards.
Out of desperation I used Pin-sal straight up on my german Sheppard worked better than expected. After washing off he smelled like a pine forest. You have to get really close to smell the pole cat perfume

Skunks come out a night. Keep the dogs in at night and they should not be a problem. I don't know about gators though. Maybe the master planned community should hire a hunter.

The gators mainly live off one of the nature trails but we do see them in the golf course pond behind the house on occasion.

My sis sees gators in Florida where she lives. No thanks. We do see skunks, and are a menace around us just like raccoons. They'll take down chickens at any opportunity.
You live in a very fancy place, TexPrep. I'd think I was in a resort all the time.

My sis sees gators in Florida where she lives. No thanks. We do see skunks, and are a menace around us just like raccoons. They'll take down chickens at any opportunity.
You live in a very fancy place, TexPrep. I'd think I was in a resort all the time.

We moved here mainly for the security.
It's gated and patrolled 24/7. One of the best things is no solicitors,if they do manage to get on the property they wont be there for long.
And you wont find my house on Google street view because they're not allowed to film here.
Crime is almost nonexistent.

You'd have a fit if you saw where I lived. Ha. So very different. Our farmhouse was built in 1908 and leans a bit on one end. Smack in the middle of a small amish community of just under 700 people. We are dual language here, english and penn dutch. Not unusual to see horse and buggy here. Farmland. Out my front door, across the dirt road is 100's of acres of winter wheat coming up right now. We all grow big gardens, most all are farmers, everyone has animals. Windmill off my front porch, was put there to pump the house water and the wash house water. We don't have crime, either. Everyone here knows everyone.
Can you grow a garden?

You'd have a fit if you saw where I lived. Ha. So very different. Our farmhouse was built in 1908 and leans a bit on one end. Smack in the middle of a small amish community of just under 700 people. We are dual language here, english and penn dutch. Not unusual to see horse and buggy here. Farmland. Out my front door, across the dirt road is 100's of acres of winter wheat coming up right now. We all grow big gardens, most all are farmers, everyone has animals. Windmill off my front porch, was put there to pump the house water and the wash house water. We don't have crime, either. Everyone here knows everyone.
Can you grow a garden?

This sounds very nice to me.

Can you grow a garden?

Sounds like my kinda place. I'd fit right in being Dutch.
I've lived in the boonies and I miss it.
You dont need 24/7 security and gates to be safe.

Latest posts

Back