Public Transport

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I no longer fly myself and I try to avoid ground public transport where ever possible, Its expensive, unhygienic, unsafe, unreliable and often carrying the drags of society especially at night. Oh and of course in the UK there is that much security you cannot take most of your essential EDC equipment with you or it gets seized and you get arrested.

I use public transportation when I have to but I'm always wary. "No weapons allowed" signs are a sure sign that the only people you will come into contact with carrying weapons are people intent on harming you.

At least in my vehicle, I have places to conceal possible needed EDC items. Can't do that on planes, trains or other public transport. Even when I visit Komifornia, I can defend myself. No public transportation anymore. Fortunately there is nobody or anything I want to visit or see that is not within a couple days driving.

I have another house on the other side of the state in NC. I use AMTRAK quite often to travel back and forth between the houses.

Works for me. Takes about the same amount of time as driving. When gas prices are high, cheaper too. The AMTRAK are equipped with WIFI so I take along a laptop to watch movies what traveling. Can't do that when driving.

This is not an intercity subway type transportation so I have never felt threatened. I am more concerned with parking my car at the train station that my safety on the train. Seems AMTRAK try's to find the most "seedy" areas of the city to build the stations so I pick up the trains in one of the smaller rural towns that stop at.

Last couple of months, I have been doing some work on the other house and needed my truck, so I have been driving most weekends. That should finish up soon so I will go back to AMTRAK riding.

I went through a stage in my life where I commuted almost exclusively by bicycle, and public transportation was my backup in case of rain or other nasty weather.

I had a collapsible, folding bicycle that I could ride to the bus or train stop, fold it up, carry it with me in a package on the train, unfold it at my destination and finish the rest of my commute.

The money I would normally put into a car I used to get out of debt, take care of expensive dentistry, and so on. It was very practical.....especially when gas was $4.00 a gallon.

tokyo_1000px_olive_green.jpg

tokyo_folded.png

These weren't my exact bikes, but they are very similar in design to the bike I used, so you can get the idea.

After I got a car again, I kept the folding bike in the trunk as a kind of "life boat" in case I broke down somewhere and had to get home, or continue on to an important appointment, for example.

Commuting with a folding bike and public transportation was very practical, and extremely money-saving.

I was more productive at work because I didn't get stressed out from fighting traffic, and I believe that the light exercise just before my shift gave me more energy that I could bring to my job....which made for better work performance.

When I lived in New York City, I commuted by subway to work.

I had a large pet python at the time, and when I got on the train, I'd drap the live snake around my shoulders.

I would then smile a lot and talk to myself, and everybody (including the winos, junkies, panhandlers, and cops) would leave me alone.

before I got into my current employment,I used to work in public transport as a ticket inspector,so pretty much learnt where the shyt congregate and what lines are trouble.

Public bloody transport I hate it, yet again my wife is stranded in Edinburgh because the 20.03 from Edinburgh has no driver!!!! In the last 6 weeks my wife has made 7 longish rail journeys over 80 miles, 6 of them were late or cancelled. I'm sitting here in the UK at 9.35 pm waiting to find out if the train from Scotland is likely to arrive in England at all tonight, or will she have to stop overnight in Scotland.

On one trip to a conference in Leeds the train was 90 minutes late, but eventually set off, 70 minutes late at York then when they got to Northallerton ( Unscheduled stop) they cancelled the train and turfed the passengers off at a small rural station at 10 oclock at night with no staff or support at this unmanned halt.

I’m in the same boat here. Can’t get a pizza or a newspaper delivered either. Living in the country has its perks but modern conveniences isn’t one of them.
I can get a newspaper but a pizza or any other take-away would be stone cold by the time it got here, not that they deliver here.
I know of people that cannot live without modern conveniences but I am not one of them.

Public bloody transport I hate it, yet again my wife is stranded in Edinburgh because the 20.03 from Edinburgh has no driver!!!! In the last 6 weeks my wife has made 7 longish rail journeys over 80 miles, 6 of them were late or cancelled. I'm sitting here in the UK at 9.35 pm waiting to find out if the train from Scotland is likely to arrive in England at all tonight, or will she have to stop overnight in Scotland.

On one trip to a conference in Leeds the train was 90 minutes late, but eventually set off, 70 minutes late at York then when they got to Northallerton ( Unscheduled stop) they cancelled the train and turfed the passengers off at a small rural station at 10 oclock at night with no staff or support at this unmanned halt.
you know there is a rail strike on at the moment, Bill, over the use of guards?

you know there is a rail strike on at the moment, Bill, over the use of guards?
Only down south Paul, The strike did not affect the midlands, north and Scotland. Last night my wifes train was delayed 90 minutes because the driver did not turn up for work., the one after Broke down, then a suicide in Stevenage near London stopped the north bound trains.

I haven't been on a train for 25 years, on a bus for 20 years, there is no public transport out here in the sticks.
I wouldn't travel on public transport if you paid me too many germs and filth, remember the flu advert where the guy sneezed and his germs shot down the bus? that did it for me.

Latest posts

Back