A warning for those who have cabins or BOL's

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainingcatzanddogs

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Police fatally shoot Texas escapee who killed 5 while on the run for weeks – Houston Public Media

A couple of weeks back, this guy hijacked the prison bus he was on and escaped on foot. This happened near a town called Centerville, on one of the roads I frequently travel on to get to the BOL.

People assumed he was long gone from the area.

I thought I was being paranoid when I went the next time to the BOL. I carried my weapon on me. looked for anything out of place or any signs of garbage etc. Arrived in the daylight. Did not enter the RV until I had first "cleared" the barn. I took two of my dogs with me and watched them carefully for any alert behaviors....turned out I wasn't being paranoid at all. I do not keep any of my weapons at the BOL because there is no place yet to truly secure them. They travel with me instead.

This escaped murderer, killed one adult and four children who arrived at their cabin in Centerville. Police say they are not yet sure if he was squatting in the cabin when the family arrived. They think the weapons and ammunition he later used might have been the slain family's.

HOLY COW!

Last edited:
I used to go to a friends cabin in the Mts. all the time. We alway walked around the cabin before we entered. Always had a 9mm American Express card too.

It is just one of those reminders that no place is safe, just because it is isolated or rural. We get lulled into a sense of complacency and routine and then get sloppy. I know I do sometimes, especially when I am rushed or tired.

It also would probably be a good idea to know how far your BOL is from any routinely traveled prison transfer routes. In a SHTF or TETWAWKI, such transfers may be an immediate source of trouble even if things haven't gotten going in the cities yet.

I always leave a tree branch in front of the door when we leave. To an intruder, it will look like it came off the tree by the deck and be moved by the opening of the door without any thought from the intruder. The chances of said intruder trying to reach out the window to put it back where I had it once inside with the door shut is very unlikely. That stick has been in use now for about 4 years, and although it gets annoying to deal with, the peace of mind is well worth it. I also have a security camera at the end of the driveway in a very obvious spot. It is impossible to not notice it and I think it serves as a good deterrent. The random traffic down this dead end road has almost completely stopped since I installed it. Those who do drive down here sight-seeing always turn around before they get to our driveway now.

I learned it from my parents as a kid. When we would get grounded, they would put a butter knife against our doors so they knew if we snuck out when we were not supposed to. Trying to put it back up with the door shut was almost impossible! lol

I just went out the window and went camping for a couple of nights! 😬

Last edited:
Police fatally shoot Texas escapee who killed 5 while on the run for weeks – Houston Public Media

A couple of weeks back, this guy hijacked the prison bus he was on and escaped on foot. This happened near a town called Centerville, on one of the roads I frequently travel on to get to the BOL.

People assumed he was long gone from the area.

I thought I was being paranoid when I went the next time to the BOL. I carried my weapon on me. looked for anything out of place or any signs of garbage etc. Arrived in the daylight. Did not enter the RV until I had first "cleared" the barn. I took two of my dogs with me and watched them carefully for any alert behaviors....turned out I wasn't being paranoid at all. I do not keep any of my weapons at the BOL because there is no place yet to truly secure them. They travel with me instead.

This escaped murderer, killed one adult and four children who arrived at their cabin in Centerville. Police say they are not yet sure if he was squatting in the cabin when the family arrived. They think the weapons and ammunition he later used might have been the slain family's.

HOLY COW!
Our local news is running this story tonight. Family from Houston.

40 cabins, my daughter is a full time resident as are myself and wife. We need firearms all the time since this location is often looted by criminals in the winter.
That the way I feel here, 6 miles from the Interstate, 3 miles up a 1 1/2 lane road with no houses. Only a gravel pit, pumping station, and a treatment plant In between.

When the illegals showed up at our place when we were there and asked for a handout we'd tell em to go down river to a house we described to them and told them he'd feed em.
It was actually the Sheriffs place. We finally asked him if he was getting a bunch of illegals at his place.
He said yeah and we told him we were the ones sending them.
He cracked up and told us to keep it up.
We made his job easy.

Latest posts

Back