Morse Code

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morse code (aka CW for continuous wave) requires far less transmitter power than single side band. Learning it does require practice, but people communicate across the continent using Morse code and a transceiver that can fit into an Altoids tin and powered by a 9Vdc transisitor radio battery. Often their transmitter output power is less than 1 watt. On days when atmospheric conditions are closing the voice band, those same 100 Watts that don't get the job done for voice are often more than enough on CW.

Although it complicates your setup, if you don't want to learn it, you can get software for your computer that will send and receive it. It is the original digital transmission mode and not that difficult to learn.

Morse code/International code is still a viable option in VLF and HF, when propagation is bad the code can make it through when voice can't. Morse code is still used by the military and station identification, the Military still has it as an alternative form of communication, also still big in the Amateur radio. Don't discount the old ways, kind of like using text on a phone in an emergency, when all the cell sites are overburden in an emergency where voice calls can't be made more than likely a text will go through.

So, when an EMP/CME hit, the Morse code is going to play a bigger role in communications, it's an valuable asset/skill. If you have a GMRS/FRS radio and the voice is breaking up, use the call button to send a Morse code, it will get through a lot easier ;)

Great skill to learn, has been a hard road for me to get to even 5wpm. Digital modes like F8Call are a much better option but requires a lot more to setup.

If you learn it it opens a lot of doors with minimal equipment. For SHTF it’s a great option as most are QRP operators and have a system that works with a small battery.

Some people take to it easily, I’m not one of those. Check out Welcome to LCWO.net - Learn Morse Code (CW) Online! - Learn CW Online if you want to try it.

Jontte, I don't think simple schematics are going to help much, as kits are typically priced at what the components will retail for and often come with useful hints. Here are a couple of links for simple CW transceivers. I really suggest going the extra few bucks to pick up a used multi-mode HF radio from a reputable dealer.

Foxx-3 Transceiver

Pixie transceiver

assembled and tested MFJ-9040

Wow, I missed this post. Forgive me for bumping it, but I think this one deserves more attention. K7JLJ, thank you for referencing that site! That is by far the best to learn CW. Many people struggle with learning code because they think of it as something they learn at low WPM speed. In fact, it is the opposite. The human brain has little ability to count dits and dahs at more than a few WPM, but the language part of the brain can recognize the "sounds" of each letter much better at 20-30wpm. People attempting to learn morse code should not try learning it slow. Anything over 5wpm is impossible to effectively "count" dits and dahs making that strategy a setup for failure.

As for banging out code on a cellar pipe as Gracieboo suggested, that is totally impractical with CW. How do you differentiate between a dit and a dah with a knock? That is what "knock code" is for and is entirely different (and very common in submarines and prison cells).

As for the transmitter circuitry, it can be FAR simpler than most people think. A single transistor can be used to make a transmitter capable of CW, and with a bypass capacitor on the emitter resistor, AM modulation cam be achieved with audio input. Add a single reverse-biased (audio-driven) diode and suddenly the tank circuit is changing frequency with the audio input due to the diode junction capacitance (FM)!

And morse code isn't limited to radio, a simple 5mw green laser pointer can get you help if stranded in the middle of nowhere. Just point it in front of (not at) an airplane or distant car (minding the beam divergence so as to not blind the pilot/driver) and you will surely have your GPS location reported, and possibly, the message understood).

The important part of any communication is doing so on a frequency (or medium) that people will receive. 500kHz used to be monitored for emergencies, but now I am not too sure. I know there are a couple 5MHz frequencies that are monitored in Alaska, but everywhere is different. It is important to understand what frequencies are monitored before learning how to communicate on them. For example.... A friend and I were using handheld 5w marine radios on ch16 in southern MN (nowhere near an ocean or large lake), but when the I-35 bridge collapsed, the coast guard helicopters in the cities 100 miles away heard us and reported us to the FCC. The FCC then used their satellites to triangulate us and they knew within seconds evactly where we were transmitting from - quoting FCC regulations between threats while convincing us to turn off our radios! Id rather face FCC fines over death, so, there you go!. FYI, that last "top secret" satellite launched with ULA likely contained another 100m wide antenna array..... Wanna save yourself? All you gotta do is know who to piss off!

in regard to Morse Code >>>>>

just read something interesting about the Jericho show that wasn't publically known or realized back in the days the show was alive >>> the "morse code" that was part of the show intro was actually different with each episode and was a coded clue to that episode ....

going to pull out my DVD collection during the Christmas slows to check it out ....

That's one thing many people do not realize... You can run all the power you want into the various modes, but when that power is spread across 12khz, it doesnt go very far. On the other hand, if you pack all the power into a narrow piece of bandwidth, now the narrower crystal filter on the receive side can pick up all the power with much less noise. Double Sideband supressed carrier, for example, is better than AM because the carrier contains no information. Why transmit it? Then you have single sideband, which is better than the double sideband because the sidebands are mirror images of each other. Lets remove one of those as well. As we get narrower in bandwidth for a given amount of power, we can have narrower filters so we dont have to pull 7khz worth of noise in with our 2.5khz of useful information. Then comes CW and modes like JT65. Less bandwidth means slower transmission rates, but for getting a small message out, the guy with the 500hz crystal filter will hear you when the other modes are totally dead. CW will never fade out, its too useful.

Latest posts

Back