Morse Code

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont think many people know morse code these days, apart from maybe some radio operators, I certainly dont and I dont think the masses do either.,

I was taught in the 8th grade at school from our shop teacher as a class course, today all my kids know it, when I was teaching them orienteering I also taught them morse code, orienteering was taught to me in the boy scouts which was expanded on in the Military. Some Amateur radio organization also teach orienteering, both orienteering and morse code are good courses to take!

PS: The ham radio operators saved a lot of people durring the Katrina mess and the hurricane that hit puerto rica. Hams will be there when all other fails!! Have you noticed the First Net trailers being placed in position around the country now?

I was on a Red Cross Disaster Action Team in the late 70's and during the "Easter Flood" in Jackson MS, we had Ham operators that went to key locations like shelters and the Emergency Operations Center. All phone service was out, and the EOC flooded which took down police and fire radio dispatch. We had full communications when nobody else did. And we knew what was really happening, which apparently nobody else did. The city government was in chaos and they had to set up a temporary EOC in an abandoned Sears building that was on high ground. Radio and TV station news departments were clueless.

I am currently enrolled in the CW Academy. It's approximately an 8 week course, and gets your ear to know by sound, not by counting dits and dahs. Low power sending and receiving makes it a very effective communication method.

Back in 1984 I got my novice license and as never good at CW. I can still send CQ and my call but that is about all. I still think of working to relearn CW again, the problem is I memorize the tapes/CD guess I would need some type of random code generator system. I still have the Heathkit HW-9 I built with money I earned by writting articles for the Heathkit magazine. de KA5SIW

do they still teach morse code in the military or Navaho language?
To some degree yes. Now it is a more mission, or specialty training. To that end, normally SF and their supporting elements will learn it as required. It has been set aside by the conventional forces and replaced by digital frequency hopping communications, or as we inthe ham community call it, spread spectrum communications. CW is a far more efficient method to transmit, but that fact has been lost on the five sided building.

To some degree yes. Now it is a more mission, or specialty training. To that end, normally SF and their supporting elements will learn it as required. It has been set aside by the conventional forces and replaced by digital frequency hopping communications, or as we inthe ham community call it, spread spectrum communications. CW is a far more efficient method to transmit, but that fact has been lost on the five sided building.
The Army has re-embraced HF analog comms both phone and CW as a back up means of communication. Nice to see them finally figure it out.

Any Morse code ops here? I was wondering if anyone here has learned or learning code for prepping? What do you think the value of Morse code in SHTF or emergency situations?
I am an Extra Class and am trying to learn morse code, though taking longer than I thought it would.... sigh.... But seriously I think it is very valuable to learn. It requires less power to get a CW signal out than a voice signal. I agree with @radigoon that since it isn't as popular as it once was, you can use it as a means of somewhat secure comms.

I am an Extra Class and am trying to learn morse code, though taking longer than I thought it would.... sigh.... But seriously I think it is very valuable to learn. It requires less power to get a CW signal out than a voice signal. I agree with @radigoon that since it isn't as popular as it once was, you can use it as a means of somewhat secure comms.
Try the ARRL CD's. I used the cassette tapes back in the 90's to pass my code exam. However I am relearning it now due to a TBI. The best way to learn it is not to hear and say a letter, but to hear the sound and cadence for recognition. I know it sounds the same, but if you listen to someone sending CQ, you can distinctly recognize the letters by the sound. This eventually can hold true for all letters, numbers and pro signs.

Latest posts

Back