Lumber flumes

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Top Poster
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
Years and years ago when I was a young one I used climb many of these areas along a 10 mile stretch to sit on the cat walk and watch the lumber come racing down the flumes, years ago we watched Lassie being filmed here, now it's an historical site. shame, I miss seeing the logs :( My cabin is due North of this flume below. Link below the picture on Broughton's Flume.

broughton_log_flume_chemawa_hill_2004_med.jpg

http://broughtonlogflume.blogspot.com/

Those were some tough people that built those. Logging is dangerous enough with today's saws and heavy equipment, but in that tough terrain they likely did it all by hand.

Years and years ago when I was a young one I used climb many of these areas along a 10 mile stretch to sit on the cat walk and watch the lumber come racing down the flumes, years ago we watched Lassie being filmed here, now it's an historical site. shame, I miss seeing the logs :( My cabin is due North of this flume below. Link below the picture on Broughton's Flume.

View attachment 7667

http://broughtonlogflume.blogspot.com/
I grew up in a area with these old flumes too. Some were use for hydraulic mining and some were for moving logs. Then they ran tracks out in the woods and start hauling logs out on rail cars. I still remember seeing car after car with a single Doug Fir log on it. A lot of these flumes dumped the logs directly in to rivers where they made huge rafts of logs to be floated to the mills. A lot of times there were men riding on these rafts carrying long poles to help break up jams, or to position the logs to feed the mills. Sometimes they had to use dynamite to break up the jams. Later they started using small tugs to move the logs around.

This is the old No5 sidewinder in the town of klickitat specifically built for this area, one of the most powerful engines ever built, notice the direct drive to the wheels ;)

View attachment 7670

The Cass Scenic Railroad in WV is where the Shay locomotives evolved to haul the virgin timber off of WV hills that were mostly straight up.....lol...Cass has 1 of the original remaining ones...

Latest posts

Back