Long Term Stores

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait...What? I thought you Brits all lived in houses like this :D
iu
yeah I WISH!!!

No clue. Am in the plains of Kansas in zone 6b. If I were you, I'd buy a cheap bag of whole wheat or oats from your feed store, rake up a small area this spring and plant some seed. Run a sprinkle on it daily to start, unless it rains. Just don't get red wheat, that's winter wheat...planted now and harvested in the spring. I bet you can get wheat to grow, maybe oats and alfalfa. Just in patches and not big fields. Maybe try milo seed if you can find it. Back in New Mexico, we grew our "lawn" out of wheat seed on an acre lot. We were in the desert, minimal rainfall, some shade. Had to water it. But it was great feed for the fowl and the meat rabbits. That was zone 5 desert.

I grow cereal rye as a cover crop. Plant in fall it goes dormant about December. Greens back up about March. Let the chickens forage it in the early spring then cover it and smother out before planting in June. Great for smothering those persistent winter weeds.

Zone 6b/7a altitude 2000+ ft above sea level .

Hey Georgia Peachie...
We have a daughter that loves wheat grass juice, and pays $2 a shot for it at the juice places. So I bought a wheat juice hand cranker for pretty cheap on Amazon a few years back. Go in the yard, pick some wheat grass, and do it yourself for pennies. Our son manages a plant nursery in New Mexico. He planted a bunch in trays and sells it for $10 a tray for people with chickens. It costs about a quarter in seed. Ha Ha.

Cans are a poor storage for acidic products. Glass is better.
Glass is better for anything. But, it the cans are painted on the inside and not just left blank, also the acidic things will store well. Buy a can, open it to see if the inside is silver (tin) or white (painted) and then buy your supplies...
You may be able to store the canned fruit by opening it, getting it heated and re-storing it in your own glass jars...
Remember!!! All glass stored foodstuffs must be in THE DARK! Any light at all will have a negative effect on your storage. I have a heavy curtain in my pantry covering the glass jars of foodstuffs to keep the little bit of sunlight from the only 12"X 30" window which also covered by two layers of anti-bug insect/mosquito screening and a double window which I can open the first and when it is open the second for fresh air occasionally...

Latest posts

Back