Long Term Stores

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtDiva

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
For those of you looking for already canned survival stores for long term storage It looks like the LDS online store will have canned food available again for shipment October 12. Items that look like they will ship are potato flakes, white beans, hard red wheat, quick oats, white rice, sugar, macaroni, dry milk, 7 mil mylar, oxygen absorbers and water filters. All of these items are put in #10 cans except milk and are sold in a case of 6.

Availability: Available for delivery after Oct 12, 2020

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE LDS TO ORDER.

They will not last long!

https://store.churchofjesuschrist.o...=grid&fromPage=catalogEntryList&beginIndex=20

For those of you looking for already canned survival stores for long term storage It looks like the LDS online store will have canned food available again for shipment October 12. Items that look like they will ship are potato flakes, white beans, hard red wheat, quick oats, white rice, sugar, macaroni, dry milk, 7 mil mylar, oxygen absorbers and water filters. All of these items are put in #10 cans except milk and are sold in a case of 6.

Availability: Available for delivery after Oct 12, 2020

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE LDS TO ORDER.

They will not last long!

https://store.churchofjesuschrist.o...=grid&fromPage=catalogEntryList&beginIndex=20

LDS stores are solid too. Thank you for letting us all know!

I dont know why they can and sell quick oats? Regular oats last much much longer. Everything else is good.

Last edited:
Not sure either. I dry can my own oats, rice, and wheat berries. I guess it's convenient for people who don't want to be bothered. There's alot to store in the "medium" storage range, like 6 to 8 years. Most dry products. Just repackage it correctly.

LDS stores are solid too. Thank you for letting us all know!

I dont know why they can and sell quick oats? Regular oats last much much longer. Everything else is good.

regular oats? - "quik oats" are cut & rolled oats for human digestive processing >> what are you storing?

Quick Oats
hero_320x400_0009_3000001180cf

Regular Oats
quaker_old-fashioned_320x400

maximum storage in the UK is about 12 months, any longer isnt possible because of the size of the average British house, unless one is lucky enough to own an old house with a cellar, not many of those about these days, they've mostly been knocked down and several modern houses built on the site.
even gardens are a rarity, most large gardens have been "garden gobbled" and several new houses built on what was the garden.

Quite a lot of old terraces have cellars and the smaller ones haven’t been converted into flats. Land which isn’t surrounded by urban sprawl is difficult to come by. Our attic is huge but too hot for storage in summer.

I've only come across cellars in houses in the older parts of cities and not that many anyway.
modern houses are all over the place and all seem to have the same design, they could be anywhere in the UK you cant tell by the house.
roof spaces have replaced attics and are quite small.
I live in a modern type house-about 25 years old.

Ah I see what you mean, ours is 120 years old, others in the street are 140 and they have cellars. I reckon if you do have a decent sized garden an underground root cellar might be an option (disguised as a summer/ yoga space for the benefit of the neighbours)

I have lived in post war flats(apartments to Americans) that had more storage space than modern houses.
we have one of the largest gardens here, not huge but larger than most.
we dont live in a city-left 20 years ago- but on the edge of a small English country town.

Last edited:
regular oats? - "quik oats" are cut & rolled oats for human digestive processing >> what are you storing?

Not quick oats as they don’t keep nearly as long. It is because of the extra processing. Old Fashioned Oats are what I store. They are hulled and rolled, just not as much as Quick Oats. I’ve been tempted to store hulled oats, not rolled, but not sure we would want to take the extra time and water to soak them the night before. They are said to be the healthiest way to consume oats.

Not sure either. I dry can my own oats, rice, and wheat berries. I guess it's convenient for people who don't want to be bothered. There's alot to store in the "medium" storage range, like 6 to 8 years. Most dry products. Just repackage it correctly.

Turning green that you grow your own. I have no experience growing grains...sadly. Not enough cleared land. Also not sure how successful growing grains here in the mountains would be? Do you have any idea? Zone 7a..

No clue. Am in the plains of Kansas in zone 6b. If I were you, I'd buy a cheap bag of whole wheat or oats from your feed store, rake up a small area this spring and plant some seed. Run a sprinkle on it daily to start, unless it rains. Just don't get red wheat, that's winter wheat...planted now and harvested in the spring. I bet you can get wheat to grow, maybe oats and alfalfa. Just in patches and not big fields. Maybe try milo seed if you can find it. Back in New Mexico, we grew our "lawn" out of wheat seed on an acre lot. We were in the desert, minimal rainfall, some shade. Had to water it. But it was great feed for the fowl and the meat rabbits. That was zone 5 desert.

Need storage? Move your bed. Put 5 gallon buckets filled with oats/wheat/whatever. Put a board across the top of the buckets. Put bed on top. Cover edge with fabric. Depending on your bed size, that could be 20+ buckets of storage. Inside. Climate conditioned. Perfect.

No clue. Am in the plains of Kansas in zone 6b. If I were you, I'd buy a cheap bag of whole wheat or oats from your feed store, rake up a small area this spring and plant some seed. Run a sprinkle on it daily to start, unless it rains. Just don't get red wheat, that's winter wheat...planted now and harvested in the spring. I bet you can get wheat to grow, maybe oats and alfalfa. Just in patches and not big fields. Maybe try milo seed if you can find it. Back in New Mexico, we grew our "lawn" out of wheat seed on an acre lot. We were in the desert, minimal rainfall, some shade. Had to water it. But it was great feed for the fowl and the meat rabbits. That was zone 5 desert.

Thank you Amish! Will give it a try. I actually buy bags of oats, and wheat every summer just in case things go totally down the tubes. Silly me, I wasn’t thinking about just trying it on a small scale. 🤪

Latest posts

Back