Issues for those planning bugging out by camper / rv

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly feel that the window is closing for considering traveling on the roads. If the govt dosent close routes or access then potential crime will. As long as no areas have strict shelter in place rules yet it should still be safe to travel right now. I would certainly take enough gasoline and supplies to make it the whole trip. I also don’t think I would consider a trip over a one day drive. There’s just too many things that could go wrong. If you are seriously considering going home here are some things to weigh;
Your loyalty to your job. Are you considered essential?
How safe is he area your currently in?
Do you know any neighbors that can be helpful if you stay put?
How mechanically sound is your car?
Is the route safe as in do you need to go through a large city, or hot zones?
Do you have the ability to walk with a backpack in an emergency?
Do you have a way to quarantine once there to protect your parents?
There’s more I’m sure but just some things to consider. I do think that time is running low for a bug out decision though.

like you say it is all in your location,,you can still travel in most states but there are city's I wouldn't leave the safety of my home unless it was burning down

Last edited:
Little toys for little problems...GP
View attachment 10168

Two types of bolt commonly available for 80 lb draw bolts, both same length buy one type is front half alloy, rear half nylon with integral fletching, these are crap.

The bolts with a full length alloy tube with glue on fl;etching is a far better both. filling em with fine sand increases the wallop from the bolt but does slightly reduce range and accuracy.

Well at least here in the states it looks like the time to bug out has passed. Not every state has restrictions yet but many are starting to close their borders on the major highways. The Florida state line was blocked on both 75 and 95 today with checks mostly looking for New Yorkers. They were just telling them to do a self quarantine but the delays on the highways were a mess. I expect real roadblocks for non essential people to start happening before long. The problem with traveling right now is you don’t know where or when you could be stopped and not permitted to continue so traveling by car just became dicey.

Well at least here in the states it looks like the time to bug out has passed. Not every state has restrictions yet but many are starting to close their borders on the major highways. The Florida state line was blocked on both 75 and 95 today with checks mostly looking for New Yorkers. They were just telling them to do a self quarantine but the delays on the highways were a mess. I expect real roadblocks for non essential people to start happening before long. The problem with traveling right now is you don’t know where or when you could be stopped and not permitted to continue so traveling by car just became dicey.

Spot on Brent! Daily now we have a state Governor or County Commissioners deciding to stop allowing others through their area. A person traveling could get stuck.

I honestly feel that the window is closing for considering traveling on the roads. If the govt dosent close routes or access then potential crime will. As long as no areas have strict shelter in place rules yet it should still be safe to travel right now. I would certainly take enough gasoline and supplies to make it the whole trip. I also don’t think I would consider a trip over a one day drive. There’s just too many things that could go wrong. If you are seriously considering going home here are some things to weigh;
Your loyalty to your job. Are you considered essential?
How safe is he area your currently in?
Do you know any neighbors that can be helpful if you stay put?
How mechanically sound is your car?
Is the route safe as in do you need to go through a large city, or hot zones?
Do you have the ability to walk with a backpack in an emergency?
Do you have a way to quarantine once there to protect your parents?
There’s more I’m sure but just some things to consider. I do think that time is running low for a bug out decision though.
This looks pretty much like my list of considerations. I am fortunate to be in a good enough part of town that is actually fairly empty because it was a lot of younger (college students) who have gone home. I have friends in this town too, some who live out in the country on farms and others who are in town but are preppers too. I am pretty sure I will be fine here; I am honestly more worried about my family back in MS as things change and making sure my younger siblings are okay.

Little toys for little problems...GP
View attachment 10168
That looks very much like mine. I have the crappy bolts but they can still hit pretty hard.

I left mine all original, lighter without the sand and gives them a higher velocity. Still planning to make more with a special twist which I should not talk about......

There was a few folks who managed to source 100 lb draw limbs a few years ago to fit 80 draw bows. I wonder if they can still be had.

This looks pretty much like my list of considerations. I am fortunate to be in a good enough part of town that is actually fairly empty because it was a lot of younger (college students) who have gone home. I have friends in this town too, some who live out in the country on farms and others who are in town but are preppers too. I am pretty sure I will be fine here; I am honestly more worried about my family back in MS as things change and making sure my younger siblings are okay.

That looks very much like mine. I have the crappy bolts but they can still hit pretty hard.
I had honestly hoped to see you safely at home with family by now. I understand though as I would have a hard time leaving all the commitments I had built up too. I have an 80yr old MIL in Florida that wouldn’t leave anyways but was a bit distressed that I can’t help her at this point.

I have the crappy bolts but they can still hit pretty hard.
There was a few folks who managed to source 100 lb draw limbs a few years ago to fit 80 draw bows.
I think most of the prepping supplies have been stripped from the shelves by now.
I have taken a set of 15 lb. limbs and laminated them to a set of 32lb. on my recurve. Works great. Take any piece of fiberglass fishing rod, cut it to size and laminate it to your 80lb. limbs and make them stronger. Add any spring steel to them also. Does not have to be just as long as the original, just about 3 inches shorter is enough. It will get harder to cock tho. If you really want to have some fun, make your own crossbow with leaf springs from cars or old trailers, make a crossbow using the nitrogen filled gas things used to hold the windows or tailgates in cars up when you open the trunk, bonnet or hood. They hold a lot of weight and you never realise how strong they are till you get them taken off and try to compress one with your bare hands...GP

watch what your doing, someone a few years ago tried to recock a full sized crossbow without using a cocking rope and put their back out! not something you want to do in perilous times.
My son was cocking my compound bow when the strap slipped out from under his foot. The butt hit him square in the sternum and put him on the ground for 5 minutes. Luckily there was no long term damage.... the moral here, be careful. Weapons are supposed to be for our protection, do not forget they are leathal....

Latest posts

Back