Issues for those planning bugging out by camper / rv

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't have a safe place to go, I think just going anywhere but here may be more dangerous. Especially for the ladies. The further out you go, the fewer good people can hear you scream. If your outdoor survival isn't butthole tight (Well ,Brent, not your butthole) you could be in worse shape. Any of you watch "alone"? Those people have mad skills and it's tough. Sure they are alone, but even the season they had a partner, was tough. Stock up, arm yourselves, focus on securing your location, and watch your perimeter. If you still can, get a large strike plate for your doors. One that covers both handle, and deadbolt and use minimum three inch screws on it AND your hinges. It will stop a battering ram for a long time. Even better, a 2x4 across your door, and multiples on the int of your windows, using 4 inch screws will keep most people out for a long time. Definitely long enough for you to hear them and act. The screws are going into the king and jack studs around your door and windows.

Whatever your door size is (the actual door) 36" 32" 30".. the rough opening is 2" larger, so factor that in fir hitting the studs. Windows are usually only an inch larger than the frame size. You have 3 inches of stud on either side of the doors and windows so you should be able to hit them easily.

the trouble with a camper or RV is that it is a TARGET, especially for those have nots.
in the UK there are already and have been for many years plans to control the roads for emergency and government vehicles, and civilian traffic including walkers and cyclists will be banned, so anyone considering this would have to find alternative routes.
in the present circumstances pretty much ALL travel is banned except for getting food supplies and even that has to be rarely.

I don't have a camper but I am carefully considering the logistics of bugging out as this thing progresses. With every stage I feel like there are different considerations to take into account. Like @GeorgiaPeachie said I think it may be more dangerous than staying put depending on where you are. But I'm sure in some places it will be worth it despite the risk because the alternative is even worse.

Take NO options off the table Katie, its times like this I wished we had deserts and real wildernesses to head to as an option. Apparently sales / rentals of large self contasined RVs and exped vehicles is booming. But do not look at campsite, if you must go find somewhere remote and defendable and make sure other loved ones know where you are incase you get stuck.

If you don't have a safe place to go, I think just going anywhere but here may be more dangerous. Especially for the ladies. The further out you go, the fewer good people can hear you scream. If your outdoor survival isn't butthole tight (Well ,Brent, not your butthole) you could be in worse shape. Any of you watch "alone"? Those people have mad skills and it's tough. Sure they are alone, but even the season they had a partner, was tough. Stock up, arm yourselves, focus on securing your location, and watch your perimeter. If you still can, get a large strike plate for your doors. One that covers both handle, and deadbolt and use minimum three inch screws on it AND your hinges. It will stop a battering ram for a long time. Even better, a 2x4 across your door, and multiples on the int of your windows, using 4 inch screws will keep most people out for a long time. Definitely long enough for you to hear them and act. The screws are going into the king and jack studs around your door and windows.

Whatever your door size is (the actual door) 36" 32" 30".. the rough opening is 2" larger, so factor that in fir hitting the studs. Windows are usually only an inch larger than the frame size. You have 3 inches of stud on either side of the doors and windows so you should be able to hit them easily.

Rent or buy a guard dog is one option for single ladies as well as a decent gun.

leaving home and heading out into the outdoors may not be wise in a disease epidemic, the best place in these circumstances is hunkered down at home.
as for self defence if not a gun then an 80lb self cocking pistol crossbow is good in confined spaces and most ladies are more than capable of using one.

leaving home and heading out into the outdoors may not be wise in a disease epidemic, the best place in these circumstances is hunkered down at home.
as for self defence if not a gun then an 80lb self cocking pistol crossbow is good in confined spaces and most ladies are more than capable of using one.

I would rather have a old wrist rocket slingshot,,,,just about like a 22 at close range

saunders_wrist_rocket_sling_shot_portable_sr_7_slingshot__84157.1410971110.600.600.jpg

wrist rocket slingshot,,,,just about like a 22 at close range
Loaded with pennies, lead fishing shot weights, steel ball bearings, glass marbles and even arrows, CLOSE RANGE OUCH!!! Killing is possible, if not hurting enough to get in and finish with a baseball bat, knife or sword/hatchet/ax. GP
slingshot.JPG

Last edited:
I loaded an hollow aluminum crossbow pistol arrow with matchheads and put a 6mm blank in the empty hole where the tip was before. Should make a good smoke bomb on contact with something hard...signaling possibility...also cut some 30 inch arrows down to fit the pistol crossbow, made them just so long that the broadhead razortips were looking out the front and not bothered by the sights up front. Just the look of the thing should scare most wimps away. GP

so anyone considering this would have to find alternative routes.
Cannot wait till the first rich person is found stuck up in the Highlands somewhere, tried to get a $300,000 RV up over 4000 feet, got it stuck, no mobile phone reception, not enough food and not enough experience or energy to get back down on foot....don't wanna prophecy anything, but it really could happen. GP

I don't have a camper but I am carefully considering the logistics of bugging out as this thing progresses. With every stage I feel like there are different considerations to take into account. Like @GeorgiaPeachie said I think it may be more dangerous than staying put depending on where you are. But I'm sure in some places it will be worth it despite the risk because the alternative is even worse.
I honestly feel that the window is closing for considering traveling on the roads. If the govt dosent close routes or access then potential crime will. As long as no areas have strict shelter in place rules yet it should still be safe to travel right now. I would certainly take enough gasoline and supplies to make it the whole trip. I also don’t think I would consider a trip over a one day drive. There’s just too many things that could go wrong. If you are seriously considering going home here are some things to weigh;
Your loyalty to your job. Are you considered essential?
How safe is he area your currently in?
Do you know any neighbors that can be helpful if you stay put?
How mechanically sound is your car?
Is the route safe as in do you need to go through a large city, or hot zones?
Do you have the ability to walk with a backpack in an emergency?
Do you have a way to quarantine once there to protect your parents?
There’s more I’m sure but just some things to consider. I do think that time is running low for a bug out decision though.

Last edited:

My butthole is quite fine thank you, and that roto wipe keeps it quite clean! Now my sense of humor could use a little more cleaning possibly....

It is an 80 lb. Unfortunately the second one is still in my BOL. I do have a 45 lb. recurve and 20 aluminum and carbon arrows with 3 bladed, razor-broadheads. Quiet and effective. With adjustable red-dot sights and sighted in to 60 meters. Better than nothing to protect and the best to hunt with. GP

They hit pretty hard. It might not be deadly, but it will definitely get their attention and maybe change the situation in your favor. For rabbits or squirrels they work fine.

Latest posts

Back