how heavily armed is your state

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We rank 30

Though misleading, their are more private transfers than dealer sales in many states that isn't counted in the survey "Registration and Transfer Record" The majority of states don't require registration for long guns given the survey isn't counting handguns plus long guns and hanguns don't requier registration in this state. All these 'gun owners by state' are very subjective ;)

http://www.businessinsider.com/gun-ownership-by-state-2015-7

https://qz.com/437015/mapped-the-us-states-with-the-most-gun-owners-and-most-gun-deaths/

http://concealednation.org/2016/01/...-numbers-plus-comparisons-to-other-countries/

The problem:
https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2015/12/19/cbs-news-badly-misfires-heavily-armed-states-america/

That's just NFA firearms though. I'm not a gun owner according to that criteria!

Mississippi ranks 35th on that list which is a laugh. That says 6.8 guns per 1000 residents. Yeah, not that many machine guns in Mississippi. In the South, Mississippi and Arkansas are tied at the top with 888 guns per 1000 residents, and 55% percent of residents owning guns.

Arkansas ranks 3rd,,,,I am pretty proud of that

http://ijr.com/2015/12/502833-weapons-by-state/

As long as I'm armed is all that matters to me. :D

I can't believe Arizona is ranked 27. I thought they were ranked number 1 by NRA as far as gun laws are concerned.

I have family that relocated to Alaska few years ago for their chosen profession. I'm told all they need is drivers license to purchase firearm.

Last edited:
As long as I'm armed is all that matters to me. :D

I can't believe Arizona is ranked 27. I thought they were ranked number 1 by NRA as far as gun laws are concerned.

I have family that relocated to Alaska few years ago for their chosen profession. I'm told all they need is drivers license to purchase firearm.

All that's needed to purchase a firearm here is an I.D. Card or Driver license for both long guns and handguns. Same as Idaho Montana Utah Oregon etc....

Arizona is number 1 regarding gun laws, though it doesn't equate to being heavily armed.

All that's needed to purchase a firearm here is an I.D. Card or Driver license for both long guns and handguns. Same as Idaho Montana Utah Oregon etc....

Arizona is number 1 regarding gun laws, though it doesn't equate to being heavily armed.

This is how it should be in every state.

As far as which states are heavily armed...as long as you're armed is what matters most in my opinion.

I'm really surprised that the Southern States aren't all leading in firearm ownership, but now that I think about it, I think I understand why Mississippi and Arkansas are way up there with the Western states, and the other Southern states aren't.

Here is my "theory" (for which I have a LOT of anecdotal evidence, and a small amount of "scientific data")

I think it has to do with demographics...specifically the demographics of the Mississippi and Arkansas Deltas. I think that the white populations in all the Southern states are just as pro-gun as say, Wyoming or Alaska. But most African Americans in the South aren't, and they have a much larger relative population in the South than in the West or Northwest. But in Arkansas and Mississippi, especially in the Delta, they are pro-gun, so that offsets the demographic factor you find elsewhere in the South.

I'm really surprised that the Southern States aren't all leading in firearm ownership, but now that I think about it, I think I understand why Mississippi and Arkansas are way up there with the Western states, and the other Southern states aren't.

Here is my "theory" (for which I have a LOT of anecdotal evidence, and a small amount of "scientific data")

I think it has to do with demographics...specifically the demographics of the Mississippi and Arkansas Deltas. I think that the white populations in all the Southern states are just as pro-gun as say, Wyoming or Alaska. But most African Americans in the South aren't, and they have a much larger relative population in the South than in the West or Northwest. But in Arkansas and Mississippi, especially in the Delta, they are pro-gun, so that offsets the demographic factor you find elsewhere in the South.

To add to Doc statement,
The South also leads the nation in felony convictions. We have roughly 70 million with felony records nationally plus about 600,000 people released every year from federal prisons, I think it is safe to bet many of these won't admit to owning firearms. The NICS system only denied 72,659 applicants per FBI. Plus mental health is taken into account on determining firearm ownership (federally and state) I think that's why we see states who we think should have high firearm ownership but don't, Also take into account, if one was arrested for domestic violence but never convicted or ever had a restraining order even under false pretenses also including a adults that were institutionalized short term for mental health as a young kid but have no issues as an adult many states will deny firearm transfers including removing existing firearms from the home. we have to take all this into account when viewing these lopsided meaningless numbers.

taajuus.metropolia.fi/?p=129

you'll find a map of my country behind that adr. it supposed to tell where and how many fire arms are in any area.

Found it interesting that Washington DC was ranked number 2, but I guess with all the politicians out there, sounds about right. Texas was number 16. I thought we would have ranked higher than that. I do wonder about how many unregistered guns are floating around out there too.

Guns in many states don't have to be registered so impossible to the true numbers, reason D.C. Ranks high is because most all firearms have to be registered and that's the nitch, states that don't require registration is going to show fewer guns than the reality of it. I'm sure Texas ranks higher :)

what's missing from that map here,are some guns from estates,some guns are reported to the police,some are not as many of those guns are souveniers from WW2 ;)

Guns in many states don't have to be registered so impossible to the true numbers, reason D.C. Ranks high is because most all firearms have to be registered and that's the nitch, states that don't require registration is going to show fewer guns than the reality of it. I'm sure Texas ranks higher :)

I thought Texas would be #1

We don't buy registered guns here in Louisiana, lol , they can't track the guns here and many other states.
I used to never buy a new gun,I don't like the idea that the feds know what I have,,,,I have a AR that at some point I will trade off and put a paper trail on it and then buy one that can not be traced

Guns in many states don't have to be registered so impossible to the true numbers, reason D.C. Ranks high is because most all firearms have to be registered and that's the nitch,

I thought Texas would be #1

That ranking ONLY includes Class III firearms, such as machine guns, short barreled rifles, sawed off shotguns, silencers, etc. It does not include normal rifles, shotguns and handguns.

The "heavily armed" part implies fully automatic weapons in each state, but most Class III "firearms" are actually just suppressors.

So the ranking really is for the number of suppressors per 1000 people...not actual firearms.

FAKE NEWS

I live in South Florida, and you can't throw a rock up in the air and not have it come down on a store that sells guns.

Wal-Mart (until very recently) sold AR15 rifles at their sporting goods department.

In keeping with wally world's tradition of saving money for the customer...these M4 type AR15s were quite cheaper than anywhere else.

Down here in Florida...everyone and their mother owns guns.

Latest posts

Back