How do I need to store and preserve my food for winter after SHTF.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeenGunner

Reaction score
How do I need to store and preserve my food for winter after SHTF. Been trying to think of ways to preserve foods from my garden for example, drying corn and beans or making rasins. I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas to store foods after SHTF because you can't can forever. Was looking for something sustainable. Just wondering what your thoughts were.

smoking meat and fish, drying meat and fish, salting meat and fish, so yes you need salt, lots of it.
building a good, big root cellar will help you go a long way.
ladies here are canning their produce, that's an option too..

Look into building a root cellar. Learn what keeps longest in root cellars. For instance, apples. Tart thick skinned keep longer than sweet thin skinned ones. They do get sweeter over time. Store the items properly. Wrap apples carefully in newspaper and store in a crate or box. Carrots store well in boxes with sand in them, or even sawdust. Never store fruit near potatoes. It makes them go bad. Get a book and read up on root cellaring so you won’t starve to death because of lack of knowledge on how to store food.

My dad used to do his canning in the yard. With a big fire. And a really big pot. He used a pressure canner. So, it can be done, even after there is no electricity. Stock up on lids. I stocked up in March and its a good thing because you can't find them now. Even so, alas, I am out of wide mouth lids and must be forced to resort to pickling my okra in regular mouth jars. I have canned till late at night about every day the last three weeks. But now that school/work has started back I have to cut back a little.

smoking meat and fish, drying meat and fish, salting meat and fish, so yes you need salt, lots of it.
building a good, big root cellar will help you go a long way.
ladies here are canning their produce, that's an option too..

Speaking of salt,do you have an opinion on water softener salt being used for brines? I’ve seen different opinions, but would like to know if it is safe....just in case I ever run out. Some have even said they have used plain salt licks for animals.

back a few years ago ( many,many many years ) when I sold household appliances, dishwahers had a pack of watersoftners with them, pure salt, same stuff you got from the store, I would use it, this is just my opinion.

back a few years ago ( many,many many years ) when I sold household appliances, dishwahers had a pack of watersoftners with them, pure salt, same stuff you got from the store, I would use it, this is just my opinion.

The reason some preppers have decided to store the water softener salt instead of table salt is the bulk packaging, readily available and cheaper. I would think if one read the label and made sure that specific brand did t include anything else, it would be fine.

Speaking of salt,do you have an opinion on water softener salt being used for brines? I’ve seen different opinions, but would like to know if it is safe....just in case I ever run out. Some have even said they have used plain salt licks for animals.

just make sure there's no additives to that water softener salt - they add chem crap for iron and other impurities - it's the same for salt blocks >>> extra additives

some of the salt products don't get refined much - like ice melting rock salt - there's plenty of actual dirt embedded that's visible ...

just make sure there's no additives to that water softener salt - they add chem crap for iron and other impurities - it's the same for salt blocks >>> extra additives

some of the salt products don't get refined much - like ice melting rock salt - there's plenty of actual dirt embedded that's visible ...

Thank you Warrior!

(edited to remove silly question)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back