Could electric companies shut down due to high Corona Virus infections in their company? Other prepper Questions as well...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I live in a rural part of North Central Texas and wondered if anyone know if covid infections could disrupt service? I also would like some input or next steps ideas to my own prepping and setting up for retirement in a few years. Below is what I have done:

1. Purchased a home on 4ac, with a well and installed two arrays of solar panels (14KW capacity) that are tied to the grid without battery storage. creek would serve as an emergency water source should we need it.

2. We have a large fenced-in garden with several raised beds, have a variety of fowl - chickens, guineas, ducks, turkeys and milk goats.

3. We have peach, fig, citrus (grown in a high tunnel for winter protection) and pecan trees.

4. We have learned to dehydrate food, store frozen food in vacuum sealed bags and have a variety of different food.

5. Invested in security and fenced in the Perimeter of the property.

6. I am not an experienced hunter, but could fish and hunt in a pinch.

7. our home is our bug out shelter, but have other options if needed.

Given all of this, what else should I consider doing in order to improve my situation if SHTF?
medical supplies? Skills sets? You name it...

Yes you could lose the electric grid due to many things.

I would be ready to get batteries and the neccessary hardware for your solar arrays, should the electric grid go down. I would also have a propane generator and 2 1000 gallon tanks for a backup power source.
Medical supplies, equipment and training.

Get enough weapons and ammo to protect everything, then get more ammo.

Get a Ham radio or at least a short wave radio.

If enough people get sick all services will either slow or shut down given enough time.

I would say it is a good idea to learn skills. When your tech fails could you repair it. When there is no doctor would you know what to do? Also collect traditional tools that don't require electric or fuel to work and develop the skills to use them.

I doubt we will see power affected by the virus, but of course no one has a crystal ball that works. My reasoning is that for most the virus is mild, so I only see it overwhelming hospitals and killing the economy with the lockdowns. I think the unemployed will have a hard time paying their power bills, but overall see it as an industry with younger healthy workers that will continue working.
as far as prepping goes, you’ve got most bases covered, well above most. The things that I think of off the top are, like karloshi, learning. Read everything you can about any topic that relates to prepping. Getting out of debt and having readily available financial resources available is a big part of prepping to me too.
as a good friend once said, ‘keep on keeping on’.

If enough people get sick all services will either slow or shut down given enough time.

I would say it is a good idea to learn skills. When your tech fails could you repair it. When there is no doctor would you know what to do? Also collect traditional tools that don't require electric or fuel to work and develop the skills to use them.
Thanks for your thoughts Karloshi. What sort of skills do you recommend learning?

Sounds like a sensible plan... where do you get medical training during Covid without going to some contaminated area? Ideas?

4 whole acres. 400, I'd be more impressed. Problem #1

14kW solar that only works grid-tie, and you're worried about losing the grid. Problem #2.

Creek. Do you own the Spring for where it starts? Is it year-round or seasonal? Who can either dam it upstream, or poison it before it gets to your place? How do you get this water from the creek to the house/orchard/etc? Problems 3,4,5,6, and 7.

Neighbors (goes with 4 acres): how many will want what you have? You can't defend your home FROM your home. When I think 'north central Texas, I'm thinking Burnet Co or maybe over to Kileen. Hill Country, lots of rocks. Your orchard, how many hundreds of pounds of production this year? Could you live on that? How do you fertilize/treat these if stores aren't open? There isn't enough land if everyone has 4 acres to hunt... Problems Alpha-Zeta.

I'm not mocking you. I'm not trying to tear you down. I'm probably being too direct with my assault of questions. I get it, you're new to this, have a foundation to start from, and realize you've got weak points. You can't solve all of them at once. But you can improve on some. You decide, take my list, take the input from others, and create a priority list. You'll never be 100% there. But right now you're at 10%. Far better than many, but not likely to survive in most SHTF major events. And you're eyes are open, that alone is worth another 10%. Good luck.

power plants aren't meat processing plant and the workers aren't wholesale illegals living & working together >> they were on top of the whole Covid thing before most - the plants follow FED/State guidelines and especially the control centers that link the intercontinental flow ....

if you live in one of the states that keep closing down everything - worry about storm damage >>> most recoveries are surged from outside the area by hired teams that need local living support - no hotels or restaurants and that kills off the recovery timetable .....

I live in a rural part of North Central Texas and wondered if anyone know if covid infections could disrupt service? I also would like some input or next steps ideas to my own prepping and setting up for retirement in a few years. Below is what I have done:

1. Purchased a home on 4ac, with a well and installed two arrays of solar panels (14KW capacity) that are tied to the grid without battery storage. creek would serve as an emergency water source should we need it.

2. We have a large fenced-in garden with several raised beds, have a variety of fowl - chickens, guineas, ducks, turkeys and milk goats.

3. We have peach, fig, citrus (grown in a high tunnel for winter protection) and pecan trees.

4. We have learned to dehydrate food, store frozen food in vacuum sealed bags and have a variety of different food.

5. Invested in security and fenced in the Perimeter of the property.

6. I am not an experienced hunter, but could fish and hunt in a pinch.

7. our home is our bug out shelter, but have other options if needed.

Given all of this, what else should I consider doing in order to improve my situation if SHTF?
medical supplies? Skills sets? You name it...

It can disrupt services in all sectors but as far as losing electricity due to covid-1984 is NO, it may delay power restore due to variables associated to covid, it will impact the food industry more than the grid.

55-gal water barrels is desirable, don't plan on the creek, you need stored water. If you have a well you need a generator and a hand pump on the well, you need a backup to the backup.

Your on a good path in the right direction!

Sounds like a sensible plan... where do you get medical training during Covid without going to some contaminated area? Ideas?

My workplace got some online first aid courses for people but I have no idea how good they were. I would just buy a good book and watch loads of videos. Probably in the UK i would go for St Johns ambulance or Red Cross.

been reading again my books from school and despite having this bug,we have regular courses in emergency first aid,ooh, the stuff a hospital have,would like to have at least 10% and I would be a happy camper..

this china virus sure cuts through the ranks at work, think that we have min.33% of the work force either sick or in quarantine 'cause of this virus..lot's of overtime,too bad the lazy ones aren't sick..

4 whole acres. 400, I'd be more impressed. Problem #1

14kW solar that only works grid-tie, and you're worried about losing the grid. Problem #2.

...I do have a way to bypass the grid and running off of the solar panels directly. That solves the electric needs during the day. Seems that a generator is the cheapest way to go instead of batteries for emergency type of scenarios...

Creek. Do you own the Spring for where it starts? Is it year-round or seasonal? Who can either dam it upstream, or poison it before it gets to your place? How do you get this water from the creek to the house/orchard/etc? Problems 3,4,5,6, and 7.

... I can run the well from the solar panels, so I’m not that worried about the water situation. I am in the process of doing a rain water catch for my garden. This could also be my reserve if in a pinch. No, I don’t own the spring... springs are hard to come by in Texas.

Neighbors (goes with 4 acres): how many will want what you have? You can't defend your home FROM your home. When I think 'north central Texas, I'm thinking Burnet Co or maybe over to Kileen. Hill Country, lots of rocks. Your orchard, how many hundreds of pounds of production this year? Could you live on that? How do you fertilize/treat these if stores aren't open? There isn't enough land if everyone has 4 acres to hunt... Problems Alpha-Zeta.

...it’s about an acre of fruit, citrus and nut trees. I feel confident that I can feed the family with the garden, livestock and trees mentioned. I do have a composting bin and do use the chicken, goat and rabbit manure on my plants. I also have a worm farm and use the tea directly on the plants. I feel covered there...

I'm not mocking you. I'm not trying to tear you down. I'm probably being too direct with my assault of questions. I get it, you're new to this, have a foundation to start from, and realize you've got weak points. You can't solve all of them at once. But you can improve on some. You decide, take my list, take the input from others, and create a priority list. You'll never be 100% there. But right now you're at 10%. Far better than many, but not likely to survive in most SHTF major events. And you're eyes are open, that alone is worth another 10%. Good luck.

...I’m not insulted in the least. I am relatively new to this... 7yrs in the process, but know I can always learn more. As far as weapons and ammo goes, I come from a family who was in the military and Federal Officer - Father. I am fairly equipped, but could definitely could have more.

...as far as the acreage goes, I do agree that more acres would be better, but not cost effective if one is to prepare in other ways. I have been considering a second location just in case... Would prefer it to be in a more mild climate... North of where I am at... Colorado seems like a good fit, but is a bit far and they have water issues. I have to be able to get there within a day’s drive. Suggestions?

Last edited:
Good one Jayson!.. I’m a teacher and my school has had over 27 cases of Covid since 11/06. That doesn’t include Those deemed to be in close contact. I certainly did need that laugh.

2 schools in my neck of the woods were just closed because the number of quarantine cases were in excess of 30 students.

My previous post both identifies issues and opens the door for you to choose your solution. I can't tell you if the collapse is next week or in 50 years, or if the rapture is tomorrow. You need to decide how you can best both live 50 years or start fighting next week. Nobody here says that it's easy. But your eyes are open, that's a great start. Don't try to everything at once. Balance. Address your worst weakness first in an affordable way. Then the next. And next. More than anything, grow your skills and knowledge. Your mind is your greatest weapon and defense. Learning is usually free. And cancel your cable TV. The time you gain will be needed elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back