Home Made FIre Logs

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lmfao, i just thought of something, i live in the city, what the heck do i need paper logs for? If i burn them here, like say out in the yard (i dont have a fireplace) people will know im here and come rob me, and if i head into the woods like i plan to, ive got more than enough to burn, and will save weight/room in my bug bag. But i can see how it would be damn usefull for others!

lmfao, i just thought of something, i live in the city, what the heck do i need paper logs for? If i burn them here, like say out in the yard (i dont have a fireplace) people will know im here and come rob me, and if i head into the woods like i plan to, ive got more than enough to burn, and will save weight/room in my bug bag. But i can see how it would be damn usefull for others!
I figure they will be handy to some degree, but eventually I am sure I would run out of paper and not want to use my drinking water to make more logs. I am trying to make a stock pile of them now.

Oh dont get me wrong their a great idea, and a very usefull one at that! but in "my" excape plan i have no need for them...... unless there's an earthquake, and then my plan to head to the forest will be cut off by the fault line! Hmmmm..... better make a plan B just in case lmao

Oh don't get me wrong their a great idea, and a very useful one at that! but in "my" escape plan i have no need for them...... unless there's an earthquake, and then my plan to head to the forest will be cut off by the fault line! Hmmmm..... better make a plan B just in case lmao
Where I plan to go there isn't much by way of trees. just a lot of bushes. I do need to go to my location an do some more scouting for a more secure location. something easily defended just in case i can no longer stay at the house.

ya that's a good idea, maybe also take some supplies with you like water, food, survival items etc. and stash them somewhere in a location you'll be able to easily find (but others wont). having a good stash spot will help you be able to carry more in your bug bag, and replenish what you've already used!

ya that's a good idea, maybe also take some supplies with you like water, food, survival items etc. and stash them somewhere in a location you'll be able to easily find (but others wont). having a good stash spot will help you be able to carry more in your bug bag, and replenish what you've already used!
I would love to be able to do this. I may try it on a smaller scale to see how it works. I would hate to stash a lot of items just to find they were stolen.

bury them in a rubbermaid next to some sort of land marker like a forked tree or large rock. is that area highly visited/populated?

I saw this done on a show, and thought it was a great idea that needed to be shared with everyone! I know have a use for all of that junk mail I get and the news papers, and evidence, i mean old papers & documents i shredded. Enjoy the video!

Thank you, that is a wonderful eco friendly idea to not only use newspaper,but for a valuable source of heat . Great sharing video. I think that tells me to save my papers for such an item as a log made from scraps.

yes it is. I have seen different styles. some put saw dust, twigs, leaves or the like in them. You can also buy a press so you can make perfect square bricks. they say they last a couple of hours. I am going to be trying this. I hope to have them done in the next couple of weeks and try them out.
I would be very interested to read how your event went. I will be checking on this item since it is a great prepper item.We throw way to many things away without thinking how to effectively use them. I have a pile of papers that I wll be doing this with. I am going to furthermore use rain water for my bucket.

you ordered a press? those are so easy to make lol
I will be watching here for your instructions on how to make one. I would think buying such a tool to make logs would be a great investment when a person does not have anywhere to make such an item. Could it be made more cheaply than Clydsedale bought it?My problem might be not being strong enough to work it. The demo showed some real strength to actually finish the extraction of the water of the burning bricks.

well im mechaniclly inclined, i weild and verious other stuff, so stuff like that comes easy to me, but heres another way it can be done, but the prosses will be longer:
use a bigger plant container, one with holes in the bottom for water to leak out when compressing, do the same to the paper as the video suggest, then put the wet paper in the plant holder, and use something round like a plate and put a few bricks on it to compress the papers. as i said this will probably take longer to do than the press shown, but seems like it would work.

well im mechaniclly inclined, i weild and verious other stuff, so stuff like that comes easy to me, but heres another way it can be done, but the prosses will be longer:
use a bigger plant container, one with holes in the bottom for water to leak out when compressing, do the same to the paper as the video suggest, then put the wet paper in the plant holder, and use something round like a plate and put a few bricks on it to compress the papers. as i said this will probably take longer to do than the press shown, but seems like it would work.
Oh, no wonder why it would not be anything for you to make one. I understand now. I think your idea described here is a really much better idea for me. I was thinking of using an old garbage can in my yard when I read your other post since I figured I had to find something that I could handle. Your planter is a good idea. I really like the idea of making some logs for a fire to make some hot water should the grid be down in a crisis.

I think this would probably be one of the easier do it yourself projects out there. Making it yourself would also allow you to construct your log maker to make the size logs you desire. So far that is the only problem i have with mine. that being the logs are a bit on the small side.

I think this would probably be one of the easier do it yourself projects out there. Making it yourself would also allow you to construct your log maker to make the size logs you desire. So far that is the only problem i have with mine. that being the logs are a bit on the small side.
The storing of the constructed logs is yet another hurdle to get over. Since the water was taken out of the papers those homemade logs cannot remain outside to collect moisture again. Yes, making my own log maker can make the logs the size I want which you state is the problem with your device you bought.

The storing of the constructed logs is yet another hurdle to get over. Since the water was taken out of the papers those homemade logs cannot remain outside to collect moisture again. Yes, making my own log maker can make the logs the size I want which you state is the problem with your device you bought.
Yes, I feel the logs are a bit too small. I would have liked to see them about 2 inches bigger in each direction.
At the moment I am storing mine in the garage. Hopefully that will work.

Yes, I feel the logs are a bit too small. I would have liked to see them about 2 inches bigger in each direction.
At the moment I am storing mine in the garage. Hopefully that will work.
I don't have a garage to store mine in should I go that route. Even if I kept them covered like regular wood pieces, the 100% humidity here would quickly render my homemade SHTF logs unusuable soon. I don't know that will be something useful for me to work on even though I like the thought of having a fire in a crisis situation.

I don't have a garage to store mine in should I go that route. Even if I kept them covered like regular wood pieces, the 100% humidity here would quickly render my homemade SHTF logs unusuable soon. I don't know that will be something useful for me to work on even though I like the thought of having a fire in a crisis situation.
My car is slowly being pushed out of the garage to make way for all of the stuff I keep getting to add to my prepping supplies.
I am trying to locate a part of the garage so that the logs are safe from moisture coming in through the garage door and not a fire hazard by the water heater.

Latest posts

Back