“Collapse now, and avoid the rush.”

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backandbeyond

God Like
Reaction score
“Collapse now, and avoid the rush.” Revisited ten years or more later.

An article I read over a decade ago on the old Archdruid report blog [which I will link at the end] discussed the concept of reducing your consumer/industrial dependent lifestyle, Now, instead of waiting for the collapse of society forcing it upon you. As a relatively early convert to life outside the Matrix, and I'll discuss that later, the concept made good sense to me and I began hoarding old sledge hammers, picks and shovels. I got rid of my big V8's and went to 4cyl vehicles and stopped eating takeaway, among other actions...

Now I will admit that while a lot of these actions were quite smart in and of themselves, and had good returns in the short run, better health, more money in the pocket, they also excluded me from a lot of "Life" that I had up until that point enjoyed. I mean even having simple pizza with friends is quite a social occasion, and quitting takeaway saw me dropping these events from my calendar. But I "Knew I was on the right track" and that when the collapse came I would be ready! The trouble was, the collapse never came? And it may never come in my lifetime!

In the beginning I read stories about the early adopters, men and women who back in the 1970 thought that civilization would collapse soon because the world had gone off the gold standard and began racking up enormous debt. These were the beginnings of the modern 'survivalist' movement I believe, Go forth young man and build a redoubt and hunker down, because itz Coming! "It's Almost Time!" Well those early men and women are probably in their 90's now, or long dead, and the world went on as they huddled in their bunkers rotating their beans and waiting. I am at the stage now quite frankly where I am ready to get back into the mainstream of life again. I don't want to be old, counting my silver coins and eating bowls of rice just to rotate the stuff. I hate rice actually.

I thought I was an early adopter, I wasn't. I just came onboard with the peakoil scare and like those people in the 1970's, thought that this was it. Those early heroes of mine, John Michael Greer, Jim Kunstler and the like are now living pretty humble existences in far flung corners of the world. Eating and canning their tomatoes, recycling their junk. Fortuitously for me I never setup that doomstead, although I was well on the way. I kept my job in the city that made me lots of cash, then when the time was right moved out, but to a small town where I live a similar existence to that which I had but a lot further away from the madness now enveloping said city. I still work from time to time and I reflect that one hours labor in my job "nothing fancy" will buy me two weeks worth of the food I would have been toiling days over and fighting nature over in the doomstead scenario.

I still adhere to many of the concepts in the “Collapse now, and avoid the rush.” article, but the idea of, John Michael Greer's, "decrease our energy use, per capita and absolutely, to get our energy needs down to levels that could be maintained over the long term on renewable sources." I have rejected out of hand. Sure, it's a good principle for society as a whole in the long run, but as a personal mantra it is a recipe for a miserable retirement.

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2012-06-06/collapse-now-and-avoid-rush/

“Collapse now, and avoid the rush.” Revisited ten years or more later.

An article I read over a decade ago on the old Archdruid report blog [which I will link at the end] discussed the concept of reducing your consumer/industrial dependent lifestyle, Now, instead of waiting for the collapse of society forcing it upon you. As a relatively early convert to life outside the Matrix, and I'll discuss that later, the concept made good sense to me and I began hoarding old sledge hammers, picks and shovels. I got rid of my big V8's and went to 4cyl vehicles and stopped eating takeaway, among other actions...

Now I will admit that while a lot of these actions were quite smart in and of themselves, and had good returns in the short run, better health, more money in the pocket, they also excluded me from a lot of "Life" that I had up until that point enjoyed. I mean even having simple pizza with friends is quite a social occasion, and quitting takeaway saw me dropping these events from my calendar. But I "Knew I was on the right track" and that when the collapse came I would be ready! The trouble was, the collapse never came? And it may never come in my lifetime!

In the beginning I read stories about the early adopters, men and women who back in the 1970 thought that civilization would collapse soon because the world had gone off the gold standard and began racking up enormous debt. These were the beginnings of the modern 'survivalist' movement I believe, Go forth young man and build a redoubt and hunker down, because itz Coming! "It's Almost Time!" Well those early men and women are probably in their 90's now, or long dead, and the world went on as they huddled in their bunkers rotating their beans and waiting. I am at the stage now quite frankly where I am ready to get back into the mainstream of life again. I don't want to be old, counting my silver coins and eating bowls of rice just to rotate the stuff. I hate rice actually.

I thought I was an early adopter, I wasn't. I just came onboard with the peakoil scare and like those people in the 1970's, thought that this was it. Those early heroes of mine, John Michael Greer, Jim Kunstler and the like are now living pretty humble existences in far flung corners of the world. Eating and canning their tomatoes, recycling their junk. Fortuitously for me I never setup that doomstead, although I was well on the way. I kept my job in the city that made me lots of cash, then when the time was right moved out, but to a small town where I live a similar existence to that which I had but a lot further away from the madness now enveloping said city. I still work from time to time and I reflect that one hours labor in my job "nothing fancy" will buy me two weeks worth of the food I would have been toiling days over and fighting nature over in the doomstead scenario.

I still adhere to many of the concepts in the “Collapse now, and avoid the rush.” article, but the idea of, John Michael Greer's, "decrease our energy use, per capita and absolutely, to get our energy needs down to levels that could be maintained over the long term on renewable sources." I have rejected out of hand. Sure, it's a good principle for society as a whole in the long run, but as a personal mantra it is a recipe for a miserable retirement.

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2012-06-06/collapse-now-and-avoid-rush/
Your cutting back on fast food was the main Point I believe that wasn’t overreacting. Not only will it save you money but it’s unhealthy garbage. I can’t preach here as I’ve eaten more than my share of greasy unhealthy crap too. I do think we need to live in the moment some in life. For one there is no guarantee we will have a tomorrow. I’m not saying it’s ok to not save for the future but just that it’s not good to save everything and not enjoy your life. I do think there are tough time ahead so am glad I’ve put resources and work into being as prepared as I reasonably can be. But if you look back through history every generation has had events and scenarios of impending doom. Yet they all kept going through all these years. I don’t think of just shtf with my prepping, but even at recessions or rough times. I want to increase my odds of being able to comfortably weather a prolonged illness, economic downturn, or anything life throws at me. So yes it’s smart to prep, just not obsessively or to the point you aren’t having fun anymore. oh, rice with gravy and some chunks of meat is pretty good by the way!

If you're hanging with like minded people, you won't miss alot of the social stuff, because you'll find different ways to be social with them. The art of visiting is underrated for sure. My amish cousins and I come together every Sunday evening for dinner and our weekly catchup. Not everyone has telephones around here, so neighbors and locals just do drop in. I just turn the coffee on and get some cookies out. Or if word gets out that you have a project planned, sometimes help just shows up out of the blue. If you're the only one in your community living this way, it can be pretty rough.

there is a lot to be said for reducing once reliance on modern systems and supply chains which are all vulnerable to interruptions.
isnt that what preppers should be doing anyway.
Yes. But I think new preppers can be swept up in the ideology and throw out the baby with the bathwater in their rush to get positioned before the "Collapse" That was certainly my experience. There is nothing wrong with owning a hand grind mill and making your own bread, but there is nothing wrong with buying at the shop either as far as I'm concerned.

Yes. But I think new preppers can be swept up in the ideology and throw out the baby with the bathwater in their rush to get positioned before the "Collapse" That was certainly my experience. There is nothing wrong with owning a hand grind mill and making your own bread, but there is nothing wrong with buying at the shop either as far as I'm concerned.
I've always liked the quote from a prepper friend of mine " use what you can until you can live without it when it is no longer available!".

Last edited:
Yeah lol, my motorcycle will make a neat lawn ornament, much cooler than those rusty old wagon wheels or wheel barrows people stick in their front yards.

A push bike is great for exercise I find but it would suck as regular transport. I'll keep burning petrol as long as they keep selling it.

its not so much the availability of petrol as much as the lack of electricity to pump it plus the shutting down of refineries for the same reason. WTSHTF.
during the pandemic lock downs I found I used very little petrol, similar when I lived off grid for all those years, post SHTF will be the same.

It is always going to be water, food and energy. Before the Collapse, if you don't have a farm, it would be nice to learn something about wild food sources. I am buying some property which has Black Oaks on it. These acorns are an excellent food source so all I have to do is gather them and learn how to process them. So what I am saying is before the Collapse, learn where you are going, that is, how you are going to be living, after the Collapse and make some plans at least.

From the moment of birth, we are all on the road that ends in our demise.
With luck, that will be a long time coming and each of us will have the fortune of a high quality of life at the end.

Same goes for empires, societies, countries.
From the founding of The United States of America, this country is on the same road. Will it end with a bang or a whimper? WWIII, Civil War, Balkanization? Or quietly fall into something else, unrecognizable even more so than what we are seeing today.
The candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long. And since WWII, America has burned oh, so brightly.

Latest posts

Back