Historic wind event - Pacific Northwest Monday 9/7/2020 ends Wednesday 9/9/2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really smokey here today. I looked at the fire map for our area last night. The fire closest to us went from 27,000 acres day before yesterday to over 40,000 last night. The northern end of the fire last night looked to be about 15 miles SW of our place. They're calling for hot temps and high winds tomorrow. The wind is already picking up here. And it's blowing from the south.
Right now the fire is over the ridge from our place. As long as it doesn't come over the mountain we should be ok.
Getting information is hard to come by here. This fire here is small (40,000 acres), it's in a sparsly populated area, and it's not in California. So it doesn't get much press, even here.

I've got most of my hay stored in a barn about 30 miles south of here. I went down today and picked up a load. The fire has burned to within about 3 miles from the hay barns and hay fields. The fire in that area was mostly grazing ground and brush. The fire is moving up the mountain in to the timber. The river on the west should stop it. The only way for the fire to burn is south or north.

How are you this morning Arctic and Mav? Are they getting any control of these raging fires yet?

For me, I'm stuffy, every muscle aches, coughing and a damn persistent headache as far as the fires It's slow but they are making some headway on the smaller~medium size fires, the big fires they got a long way to go.

They are forecasting lightening strikes next week, this is all we need.

Added:
Air Quality Index: Hazardous

The system rates air quality as good (0 to 50), moderate (51 to 100), unhealthy for sensitive groups (101-150), unhealthy (151-200) and very unhealthy 201 to 300. Any reading above 300 is considered hazardous.

We are at 445 (the scale goes to 500)

Last edited:
For me, I'm stuffy, every muscle aches, coughing and a damn persistent headache as far as the fires It's slow but they are making some headway on the smaller~medium size fires, the big fires they got a long way to go.

They are forecasting lightening strikes next week, this is all we need.

Added:

The system rates air quality as good (0 to 50), moderate (51 to 100), unhealthy for sensitive groups (101-150), unhealthy (151-200) and very unhealthy 201 to 300. Any reading above 300 is considered hazardous.

Thank you for the update Mav. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones. Wishing there was something I could do about this horrid disaster. Sounds like your system is being badly affected by all that smoke. Can you get any type of breathing equipment to help you out?

The women wanted the last of the younger grandchild taken to the next town at his cousins house where the air quality is a little better, so I decided to do it and on the back of the bike, Tired of just setting here. I haven't been riding in over a year but figured I my leg can support the weight now. We had fun for the 30 mile trip, my headache is gone and can breath for now, we will see for how long that I'm back. FYI, the air is better than where I'm at now though it don't look like it in the picture.

I don't have a clue what the hand gesture is, the kid wanted me too
Bike.jpg

Wards off bad luck, which in this case could mean the fires, the smoke, COVID, or all of the above. That goes way way way back in Hinduism and Mediterranean cultures. Ronnie James Dio popularized it in the heavy metal culture and he learned it from his Italian grandmother. John Lennon used in on the Yellow Submarine album cover. Gene Simmons actually tried to trademark it.

It's so smokey here that it looks like fog. Another day of coughing, congestion, dizziness and headaches. Haven't heard anything about the local fires today. I bearly have enough signal to text or connect to this site. The wind is coming out of the SE right now. That's a good thing for us.
This morning I went out to do a head count and could only find a dozen or so cows and calves. Some of them were coughing too.
The choke cherries are ripe now. Saw a sow and 2 cubs. No...not Moochelle oboma and her 2 brats, but black bears.
I started unloading a trailer load of hay just after lunch and got a text from my son telling me that he's out on my boat fishing. Something is wrong with this picture.

The women wanted the last of the younger grandchild taken to the next town at his cousins house where the air quality is a little better, so I decided to do it and on the back of the bike, Tired of just setting here. I haven't been riding in over a year but figured I my leg can support the weight now. We had fun for the 30 mile trip, my headache is gone and can breath for now, we will see for how long that I'm back. FYI, the air is better than where I'm at now though it don't look like it in the picture.

View attachment 11163

Love the pic Mav!! And your bike! You are right though, the smoke looks bad. Glad you are feeling a bit better!!

It's so smokey here that it looks like fog. Another day of coughing, congestion, dizziness and headaches. Haven't heard anything about the local fires today. I bearly have enough signal to text or connect to this site. The wind is coming out of the SE right now. That's a good thing for us.
This morning I went out to do a head count and could only find a dozen or so cows and calves. Some of them were coughing too.
The choke cherries are ripe now. Saw a sow and 2 cubs. No...not Moochelle oboma and her 2 brats, but black bears.
I started unloading a trailer load of hay just after lunch and got a text from my son telling me that he's out on my boat fishing. Something is wrong with this picture.

Things sound awful Arctic. Feeling so bad for you and those poor animals. 😢🥺

Things sound awful Arctic. Feeling so bad for you and those poor animals. 😢🥺
I think the cattle went over the hill and down in a canyon trying to get out of the smoke and looking for something to eat. We always have dry summers here but I don't think I've ever seen it this dry.
Thanks to the phony government shut down the cattle prices are way down. Normally I would have sold some of the mother cows and calves by now. Instead I had to take out a loan to buy enough hay to hold them over until next year, and to pay off my medical bills.

Wards off bad luck, which in this case could mean the fires, the smoke, COVID, or all of the above. That goes way way way back in Hinduism and Mediterranean cultures. Ronnie James Dio popularized it in the heavy metal culture and he learned it from his Italian grandmother. John Lennon used in on the Yellow Submarine album cover. Gene Simmons actually tried to trademark it.

I'm always learning something, thanks doc.

Love the pic Mav!! And your bike! You are right though, the smoke looks bad. Glad you are feeling a bit better!!

An hour after being back, my head is stuffy and throat gone raspy.

Imagine having to bug out on foot in a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI and no place to go within a 100 mile radius.

We are at 587 AQI
"The entire population is even more likely to be affected by serious health effects in this zone"

Latest posts

Back