Hello from Colorado

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaSue

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I live in the metro area around Denver, CO. I have a few more children than most, so my husband and I have learned how to keep a pantry that most would describe as prepping. Lol. It’s actually just enough food we can all live off for a few months because I hate running to the grocery all the time. Now that this COVID19 has come along, I would like to become even more serious about planning for the safety of my family if things get worse this coming fall. Even though I had followed the virus in the news and from fellow friends in health care in late January on, it still caught me by surprise. I won’t let that happen again. People in the metro area scared me more in the way they reacted than did the illness. That being said, I’m looking forward to learning more here and am open to all kinds of suggestions on how to live the best life we can, especially if we have to try and do that in the midst of chaos.

Welcome to the forum. As a kid I would spend my summers running all around your state with my family. Had an aunt, uncle and cousins who lived close to where you are in Littleton, more family in Meeker and some in Colorado Springs area.

Welcome from a top secret location that to many people know about.

Its wise to increase your preps. I maintain a 6 month supply of everything my lifestyle needs and I resupply and rotate my supplies to maintain it (food, well water, electricity by generator's, solar panels, medical, hygiene, etc..). If I lost every utility and resupply means, we could live at our current conditions for 6 months, except for outside provided internet and multimedia services should they be out of service.. We have at least another 6 months of necessities to live. We have gardens, seeds, chickens for long term replenishment of food supplies.

That’s very helpful. Thank you.

I started an heirloom seed collection years ago as I am an avid gardener. I grew up on a farm, so digging in the dirt has always come natural to me. :) I would love to have chickens, but I need to get a few other things squared away before we get to that point. I also just started waxing my own cheeses in addition to canning more things for the future. I’d love to hear more about your solar and generator power. Water storage has been another thing that’s been hard for me to do adequately.

Welcome from a top secret location that to many people know about.

Its wise to increase your preps. I maintain a 6 month supply of everything my lifestyle needs and I resupply and rotate my supplies to maintain it (food, well water, electricity by generator's, solar panels, medical, hygiene, etc..). If I lost every utility and resupply means, we could live at our current conditions for 6 months, except for outside provided internet and multimedia services should they be out of service.. We have at least another 6 months of necessities to live. We have gardens, seeds, chickens for long term replenishment of food supplies.

Colorado is a beautiful place to live! If it weren’t for all the people, it’d be even better!!

Welcome to the forum. As a kid I would spend my summers running all around your state with my family. Had an aunt, uncle and cousins who lived close to where you are in Littleton, more family in Meeker and some in Colorado Springs area.

Welcome Linda! How many kids do you have? If you don’t mind me asking.

I have thirteen. Just a few....although a few of them are ready to move out. We’ve discouraged that right at the moment due to the uncertainty of all this current craziness. Four of them are in college right now, so we are trying to help them save money by staying at home too. Good news is that they are helpful around the house and eager to participate in prepping our family. It’s good to have all hands on deck!

I like the LDS Preparedness Manuel www.ldsemergencyresources.com/wp-content/uploads/... Lots of good ideas there. You have heirloom seeds so have a garden, which I can understand especially having that many people to feed. :) Are you able to preserve the extra or expand your area?

We don’t have much space, as we live in a very urban area, but are looking at a place with some acreage further up in the foothills. The problem there (for me) becomes a limited growing season. I think we’d have to have a greenhouse to be able to garden there. Regardless, I am getting decent at maximizing small spaces. I love to preserve!! My grandmother and mother have both taught me the joy of canning foods for a family, and I do it as much as possible. It’s been a huge money saver for us.

That’s very helpful. Thank you.

I started an heirloom seed collection years ago as I am an avid gardener. I grew up on a farm, so digging in the dirt has always come natural to me. :) I would love to have chickens, but I need to get a few other things squared away before we get to that point. I also just started waxing my own cheeses in addition to canning more things for the future. I’d love to hear more about your solar and generator power. Water storage has been another thing that’s been hard for me to do adequately.

We have 4 solar power systems on the property, one for the main house, one for each of the 3 RV trailers on property. A main backup generac 22kw LP generator with gasoline conversion carburetor, to use gasoline when available. 2 smaller 5.5 kw and a 6.5 kw gasoline generators. 2 1000 gallon propane tanks. We use city power and water when its available. Then use the solar systems and generators for alternate power and well water exclusively. We only have small battery banks at this time, we plan to increase those right away if it looks like city power failure will be long term.

howdy from a Texan .... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quite a few knowledgeable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or 2..and by all means jump right on in with any replies you have on a topic

I have thirteen. Just a few....although a few of them are ready to move out. We’ve discouraged that right at the moment due to the uncertainty of all this current craziness. Four of them are in college right now, so we are trying to help them save money by staying at home too. Good news is that they are helpful around the house and eager to participate in prepping our family. It’s good to have all hands on deck!
I come from a big family too. Six of my siblings (including myself) have moved away from our parents and we're spread out across the south and eastern US. We definitely learned a lot of prepping principles growing up but we never called it that. Most of my siblings are "preppers" in some way. I think it's great that other families out there are still teaching self-reliance and preparedness (which can also be considered common sense).
Yesterday a couple of my younger sisters (who still live at home) texted me asking me about making blackberry jam. They know how to do it because I taught them, but they always ask just to make sure it's right.

Latest posts

Back