Heat

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fireplace is the first choice. We have plenty of firewood, and access to plenty more. We also have a kerosene heater and an indoor rated propane heater with several canisters of propane.

If it is a prolonged power outage my plan is to camp in an interior room in the house. Only the front wall would be exposed to the outside. The other three walls adjoin another room. Close off the rest of the house, and only go there when needed. The room is large enough to accommodate the three of us. Plenty of blankets and warm clothing.

I generally use GAS for my heat. Hopefully, even if electricity goes out, gas will continue to flow. Just need enough juice to run the ignitors and blowers (genny or solar power). I do have a fireplace that we use, just for show, as it is very inefficient but I have an older (and very heavy) wood stove sitting in my garage that I can move into the fireplace area. I have the metal plate to block off the FP and can be up and running with wood pretty quickly.

1.For heating better and trouble-free wood-burning brick stove. The number of bricks must be calculated based on the area of the room.
2. Liquefied propane gas is used for cooking
3. Electricity - for heating water in the shower or washing dishes
------
it should be noted that functions can be mixed.
eg: - wood stove not only for heating, but also for cooking.

The problem with using options other than firewood is that in a SHTF situation you are unlikely to find any wood pellets or propane. The safest option is to have a plot of land, plant trees and buy an axe.

That is true, in a SHTF! My answer above was strictly related to the original post

I have roughly two years of propane, about a year worth of pellets but a damn near unlimited supply of wood.

about firewood ..
firewood is known to "live" in the Forest, therefore it is required:
- permission for the preparation of firewood
- cut firewood with a chainsaw
- bring firewood from the forest
- chop and stack firewood
- dry for 1 year, even if the wood is "dry" (humidity should be less than 20 percent)
-----------
There are "dry" trees that Stand or Lie.
Never take Dying Trees, even if they are not on the ground, but on other trees (windbreak). they are really rotten by 1/3 Take only Standing trees.
-------
in my region
- fur tree, pine tree
- aspen
- Birch
- oak
The best option is birch.
Spruce and Pine provide little heat and a lot of resin
Oak gives a lot of warmth but is very difficult to cut.
Aspen gives very little heat, but it is used as a catalyst if you heat with Spruce or Pine.

Besides..
firewood is best prepared in winter.

here is an oak and an aspen
and also chopped oak
2014-02-02-0155.jpg
2014-02-02-0157.jpg

birch firewood
2014-02-16-0161.jpg

For heat I use wood, pellet, I still have a ton of coal and a baker coal stove also propane if i need to, I cook over wood or use propane, electricity has limited use here.

The cost of heating with different types of fuel should be calculated.
This calculation includes
-----------
1. The cost of production of 1 kW * h
For example, Russia:
(1 USD = 70 rubles)
- methane - 0.5 rubles
- propane - 3-4 rubles
- electricity - 4-7 rubles
- firewood - 1-2 rubles
then calculate how many kilowatts you need for a house
1 kW * h for 10 m2 in the "middle geographic band"
---------
2. Heater efficiency:
- gas boiler - 80-90
- electric boiler - 95-98
- wood stove - 60-80
--------
3. Equipment Cost
--------
4. Cost of connection and maintenance
------
5. Taxes and Permits.
-----
When you count these costs, you get a "dynamic payback series". We need to build graphs.

I did it for myself, but it's in Russia.

The cost of heating with different types of fuel should be calculated.
This calculation includes
-----------
1. The cost of production of 1 kW * h
For example, Russia:
(1 USD = 70 rubles)
- methane - 0.5 rubles
- propane - 3-4 rubles
- electricity - 4-7 rubles
- firewood - 1-2 rubles
then calculate how many kilowatts you need for a house
1 kW * h for 10 m2 in the "middle geographic band"
---------
2. Heater efficiency:
- gas boiler - 80-90
- electric boiler - 95-98
- wood stove - 60-80
--------
3. Equipment Cost
--------
4. Cost of connection and maintenance
------
5. Taxes and Permits.
-----
When you count these costs, you get a "dynamic payback series". We need to build graphs.

I did it for myself, but it's in Russia.

I never have one source of heat as an option for us, I like multiple sources as heat, we lose power out here during the winter so I have multiple options available that doesn't rely on the grid, very seldom do I consider cost. Electric rates are one of the lowest in the nation, I pay 6.73cents per KWH

But we don't use electricity for heating or cooking. I can provide heat, hot water and cook strictly using propane, wood and electricity (lighting, well pumps) for $876 dollars a year for propane and electricity total just for the house. That's a bargain compared to other parts of the country.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back