Food shortages are here and getting worse.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While at the supermarket last week I checked on the price of flour. A 5# bag of flour that would have cost $2.99 pre covid last week was $4.99 and rising. Flock food (50 pounds) that I feed my chickens and ducks cost $13.00 pre covid now as of last week now runs $24.00. Sunflower seeds (50 pounds) pre covid ran $14.00 now runs $26.00. Rolled oats for human consumption have disappeared from the supermarket shelves in my area and grits have become hard to find. There is a noticeable issue with grain prices now across the board. The last grits and cornmeal that I bought I had ground at a local small farm. Was not cheap.

Rolled oats for human consumption have disappeared from the supermarket shelves in my area and grits have become hard to find

DD if you need rolled oats check with Azure Standard. I’ve bought them from there and they are great.

The prices you cited are the same here…with the same rise in prices. Not sure where the top is going to be for this winter and spring.

We have been buying the dehydrated veggie mix in the bulk bins at our local grocery chain for at least a year, at $3.81/lb. About three weeks ago it jumped to $6.30/lb. Too rich for my blood. That is a hell of an increase overnight.

I experienced similar with frozen Lima beans. One bag shot up to $6.49!! It was no where near that just a month ago.

Several big thunderstorms are working their way across the Mississippi Valley right now.
mzD4gF3.png

DD if you need rolled oats check with Azure Standard. I’ve bought them from there and they are great.

The prices you cited are the same here…with the same rise in prices. Not sure where the top is going to be for this winter and spring.
Thanks GP I will check that out. I have a good supply of oatmeal in storage but like to replenish what we use as often as possible while I still can as it is something we eat almost everyday. I hate to see where these prices top out as well. I grow so much of my own food I shudder to think of those that have to purchase everything.

Last edited:
Things won't be getting better any time soon.

They wouldn't take Joe's calls and were going to cut production by 1 million barrels. So he hops on a plane for a face to face talk and now they are going to cut by 2 million.
He sure showed them didn't he? :rolleyes:

All the reasons above is why it has been preached over and over by preppers , warning and advising people to establish a self sufficient survival retreat . Now I am seeing panic developing even from " some " of those that claimed to be preppers . Well a SHTF scenario is here and going to get much worse . It will hurt even the prepared but they will survive much better than those that just liked to talk about preparing .

Now I am seeing panic developing even from those that claimed to be preppers

I can only speak for myself on this. While I am not panicked, I am certainly concerned and working daily to make sure our bases are covered. Like many on here, we garden, have an orchard, vineyard, chickens and rabbits. We do not have any way of getting milk or dairy besides trading. We don’t have any hogs…besides the ones my oldest raises. But he is hundreds of miles away. We do not have beef cattle or even sheep.

For these essential items I’ve been forming and joining local farm groups. Still, there really is no guarantee things will work out how it is planned. Ya know? There will be fighting and theft. Meaning someone I’m counting on trading with could end up not able to trade. We could have a drought that significantly reduce our crops.

Is your group 100% self sustaining?

Last edited:
While at the supermarket last week I checked on the price of flour. A 5# bag of flour that would have cost $2.99 pre covid last week was $4.99 and rising. Flock food (50 pounds) that I feed my chickens and ducks cost $13.00 pre covid now as of last week now runs $24.00. Sunflower seeds (50 pounds) pre covid ran $14.00 now runs $26.00. Rolled oats for human consumption have disappeared from the supermarket shelves in my area and grits have become hard to find. There is a noticeable issue with grain prices now across the board. The last grits and cornmeal that I bought I had ground at a local small farm. Was not cheap.
Grits aren't even available on Azure, which sucks. I have a good stock of a lot and I have plenty of corn, but I have never undertaken nixtamilization (however it's spelled) and I love grits.

I have to say, though, we don't have bug out land. We just live where we live. We can grow a lot of what we eat, but we would never be able to grow it all.

I should say- we are in the middle of nowhere and we aren't doing as badly as most will be.

It's not so much that we don't have the space as much as farming is HARD work. We would be hard pressed to produce everything we needed. I think a lot of folks who have never farmed are going to be in for a rude awakening about how much work actually goes into feeding a family.

I still have plenty of canned goods on hand. When I see the shelves emptying at the store, I may end up going back to part time. If or when our banking system totally collapse there just won’t be a reason to work outside the home anyway. I will go full force on gardening again to have what we need to eat.

Is your group 100% self sustaining? --- No we are not 100% self sustaining . However we have carefully put into position all the things we might need foreseeably to self sustain . Like everyone else we like going to the store to buy coffee , sugar and any other niceties . If Puttin EMP'd us tonight we would survive just fine . In place - Shelter , a spring for water and self perpetuating food supply with no need for stores or machinery or automobile fuel has been factored in . Even our own medical personnel is out back of my house right now , sitting on my bench enjoying the view of the fall foliage from our cliff edge .

Last edited:
I grew up in the snow belt. Worked in a grocery store when storms were predicted. We would pull bread back stock out and leave in the trays. The dairy guy would wheel a stack of milk out and take bake a stack of empty crates.
This is what it will be like to depend on stores
It is not exclusive to the snow belt. In Southern Illinois a storm was coming. I packed a chip truck full and parked in my driveway overnight. Went to the local store near my house. Manager told me not to go out to the shelf because it was gone.
I told him we could do it hard or easy. The whole truck is his if he just wants to sign for it.
I trucked the chips out and they were gone before I left the store. He wanted me to bring more. Didn’t happen. 5k of chips at cost in 2 hours.1999 prices. Never had to put a bag up.
Also didn’t have to shovel my driveway, the truck kept the snow out.
This is the panic buying we will see. And the supply chain won’t be able to keep up. We all saw a hint of it at the beginning of the pandemic.

I still have plenty of canned goods on hand. When I see the shelves emptying at the store, I may end up going back to part time. If or when our banking system totally collapse there just won’t be a reason to work outside the home anyway. I will go full force on gardening again to have what we need to eat.
This has been the first time in over 19 years I let my Hunny have free range on the big garden. . . I told him early on what he was not taking into consideration. He told me he would, but yet it never happened. So I got nothing to process this year. I would have been very willing on my 2 days off. But it never happened. My outside backyard garden produced more but it was more like a daily harvest that I used when cooking. Think it is too shaded with the pine tree and tallow tree.

It's not so much that we don't have the space as much as farming is HARD work. We would be hard pressed to produce everything we needed.
Do you (or anybody) still have HAND TOOLS??? Can you plow, till, harrow? Do you have Sickles and Scyths to harvest any wheat or other grains? Do you have storage and milling capabilities which do not need electricity??? Do you have a well and at least a hand pump to water your crops? Is you land fenced in to keep "most" animals and thieves outside? Are you and yours ready and capable to defend your crops "to the death"?? Can you fish and hunt nearby enough to supplement your lives?? Do you have the medical, metal, wood and water capabilities needed to sustain your lives through a SHTF situation where you can no longer get any supplies, gasoline, oil, welding supplies, propane or batteries for your lights and do you have the knowledge and practice to forage for the needed foods and energy for a single winter after your preps are eaten up???? Do you even have an outhouse for your hygiene needs and a trash dump far away from your living area to keep the rats and smell away???
Get yourself together and get ready for the "maybe" inevitable for which we are all getting ready for and do not forget the ULTIMATE need in survival.....
the mindset to be able TO DO THINGS YOU HAVE NEVER DONE BEFORE!!!
Sleep cold, eat cold, work cold and hot, drink warm (not cold) self-made teas, wear dirty clothes, have no toothpaste or brush, no friends over to grill (or trust) and only have the God you have found before this all started...NO TV, no radio, no internet, no entertainment or TITTY-tainment, no McDonalds and no cash or credit to get something you need/want/desire to be able to enjoy life....and all the time...sleeping with one eye open and gun in your hand on top of all this...someone out there is just waiting for you to close your eyes for the right second to take your stuff, life, wife and burn the rest down. Get ready, live free, Gary

Do you (or anybody) still have HAND TOOLS??? Can you plow, till, harrow? Do you have Sickles and Scyths to harvest any wheat or other grains? Do you have storage and milling capabilities which do not need electricity??? Do you have a well and at least a hand pump to water your crops? Is you land fenced in to keep "most" animals and thieves outside? Are you and yours ready and capable to defend your crops "to the death"?? Can you fish and hunt nearby enough to supplement your lives?? Do you have the medical, metal, wood and water capabilities needed to sustain your lives through a SHTF situation where you can no longer get any supplies, gasoline, oil, welding supplies, propane or batteries for your lights and do you have the knowledge and practice to forage for the needed foods and energy for a single winter after your preps are eaten up???? Do you even have an outhouse for your hygiene needs and a trash dump far away from your living area to keep the rats and smell away???
Get yourself together and get ready for the "maybe" inevitable for which we are all getting ready for and do not forget the ULTIMATE need in survival.....
the mindset to be able TO DO THINGS YOU HAVE NEVER DONE BEFORE!!!
Sleep cold, eat cold, work cold and hot, drink warm (not cold) self-made teas, wear dirty clothes, have no toothpaste or brush, no friends over to grill (or trust) and only have the God you have found before this all started...NO TV, no radio, no internet, no entertainment or TITTY-tainment, no McDonalds and no cash or credit to get something you need/want/desire to be able to enjoy life....and all the time...sleeping with one eye open and gun in your hand on top of all this...someone out there is just waiting for you to close your eyes for the right second to take your stuff, life, wife and burn the rest down. Get ready, live free, Gary

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.

Latest posts

Back