Food shortages are here and getting worse.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, water will pull out the salt. Have been doing it for regular ham for many years. Never thought about doing it for spam ever since I discovered the lower sodium SPAM. FYI, you don't have to BOIL it at all. Just soak salty/brined meat in hot hot water for 10 minutes, rinse/change water 3-4 times and then cook the meat in your preferred method. This is about the only way you can pull the excessive salt out of even the sugar cured (dry-cured) 'country' hams, which most people find too salty to even eat. LOL I know, as my mother raised me on dry-cured country ham. Best dang sandwich on God's green earth. :) At $20/lb (and up), I don't order them anymore. Uncooked Country Ham In Cloth Sack

Not boil,a low simmer.
According to the guy in the video.

I know I've grown adverse to salt as I've aged. I used to love salty stuff nowadays I cant stand it.
I've even gotten to the point where I dont like bacon all that much unless it's on a BLT.

I'm just saying you don't have to use the stove at all. I'm soaking some 1/4" hams slices in room temperature tap water right as I'm typing this. Been doing it for 50 years in plain tap water. Works the same to remove the salt via simple osmosis and you can do other things while that osmosis is doing its job. His stove simmering method might speed up the process, but the heating is totally unnecesssary, is all I'm saying. When SHTF and fuel is valuable and you don't want to waste it just to remove salt from SPAM or ham. Just use room temperature 70º water and change it a couple times as it gets salt-laden, reserving the poured off salted water to cook up a pot of beans or cabbage. Waste not want not. Plus, you've saved that fuel not heating. I figure I'll have lots of time on my hands when SHTF as I won't have computer access to waste my time on. Gardening and meal prep will kill my time. :)

Last edited:
I'm just saying you don't have to use the stove at all. I'm soaking some 1/4" hams slices in room temperature tap water right as I'm typing this. Been doing it for 50 years in plain tap water. Works the same to remove the salt via simple osmosis and you can do other things while that osmosis is doing its job. His stove simmering method might speed up the process, but the heating is totally unnecesssary, is all I'm saying. When SHTF and fuel is valuable and you don't want to waste it just to remove salt from SPAM or ham, jJust use room temperature 70º water and change it a couple times as it gets salt-laden, reserving the poured off salted water to cook up a pot of beans or cabbage. Waste not want not and you've saved that fuel not heating. I figure I'll have lots of time on my hands when SHTF as I won't have computer access to waste my time on. Gardening and meal prep will kill my time. :)

Good point on wasting fuel.
I haven't eaten spam in years so I really dont remember anything about salt content.
The Wife has been buying the low sodium stuff so I hope it's not an issue either way.

I figure I'll have lots of time on my hands when SHTF as I won't have computer access to waste my time on. Gardening and meal prep will kill my time. :)
And washing clothes by hand again...I do the same thing with acorns when I collect them for making hardtack with a mix of wheat flour and acorn flour. The indians used to hang the acorns in a woven basket in a creek or under a waterfall to leach them to an edible condition.

And washing clothes by hand again...I do the same thing with acorns when I collect them for making hardtack with a mix of wheat flour and acorn flour. The indians used to hang the acorns in a woven basket in a creek or under a waterfall to leach them to an edible condition.

The indians also used acorns to tan hides.
They'd boil the acorns and use the water which has tannic acid in it.

“Here is the Updated List of US-Based Food Manufacturing Plants Destroyed Under Biden Administration

View attachment 16595
Joe Biden’s ‘Build Back Better’ is not working as planned, or is it?

Gas prices are at record highs, stock markets are down, parents are having difficulty finding a baby formula, and the cost of everything is way up.

Below is the list of America’s 95 plants that have been destroyed, damaged or impacted by “accidental fires” or disease or general causes.

1. 4/30/21 A fire ignited inside the Smithfield Foods pork processing plant in Monmouth, IL
  2. 7/25/21 Three-alarm fire at Kellogg plant in Memphis, 170 emergency personnel responded to the call
  3. 7/30/21 Firefighters on Friday battled a large fire at Tyson’s River Valley Ingredients plant in Hanceville, Alabama
  4. 8/23/21 Fire crews were called to the Patak Meat Production company on Ewing Road in Austell
  5. 9/13/21 A fire at the JBS beef plant in Grand Island, Neb., on Sunday night forced a halt to slaughter and fabrication lines
  6. 10/13/21 A five-alarm fire ripped through the Darigold butter production plant in Caldwell, ID
  7. 11/15/21 A woman is in custody following a fire at the Garrard County Food Pantry
  8. 11/29/21 A fire broke out around 5:30 p.m. at the Maid-Rite Steak Company meat processing plant
  9. 12/13/21 West Side food processing plant in San Antonio left with smoke damage after a fire
  10. 1/7/22 Damage to a poultry processing plant on Hamilton’s Mountain following an overnight fire
  11. 1/11/22 A fire that destroyed 75,000-square-foot processing plant in Fayetteville
  12. 1/13/22 Firefighters worked for 12 hours to put a fire out at the Cargill-Nutrena plant in Lecompte, LA
  13. 1/31/22 a fertilizer plant with 600 tons of ammonium nitrate inside caught on fire on Cherry Street in Winston-Salem
  14. 2/3/22 A massive fire swept through Wisconsin River Meats in Mauston
  15. 2/3/22 At least 130 cows were killed in a fire at Percy Farm in Stowe
  16. 2/15/22 Bonanza Meat Company goes up in flames in El Paso, Texas
  17. 2/15/22 Nearly a week after the fire destroyed most of the Shearer’s Foods plant in Hermiston
  18. 2/16/22 A fire had broken at US largest soybean processing and biodiesel plant in Claypool, Indiana
  19. 2/18/22 An early morning fire tore through the milk parlor at Bess View Farm
  20. 2/19/22 Three people were injured, and one was hospitalized, after an ammonia leak at Lincoln Premium Poultry in Fremont
  21. 2/22/22 The Shearer’s Foods plant in Hermiston caught fire after a propane boiler exploded
  22. 2/28/22 A smoldering pile of sulfur quickly became a raging chemical fire at Nutrien Ag Solutions
  23. 2/28/22 A man was hurt after a fire broke out at the Shadow Brook Farm and Dutch Girl Creamery
  24. 3/4/22 294,800 chickens destroyed at farm in Stoddard, Missouri
  25. 3/4/22 644,000 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Cecil, Maryland
  26. 3/8/22 243,900 chickens destroyed at egg farm in New Castle, Delaware
  27. 3/10/22 663,400 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Cecil, MD
  28. 3/10/22 915,900 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Taylor, IA
  29. 3/14/22 The blaze at 244 Meadow Drive was discovered shortly after 5 p.m. by farm owner Wayne Hoover
  30. 3/14/22 2,750,700 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Jefferson, Wisconsin
  31. 3/16/22 A fire at a Walmart warehouse distribution center has cast a large plume of smoke visible throughout Indianapolis.
  32. 3/16/22 Nestle Food Plant extensively damaged in fire and new production destroyed Jonesboro, Arkansas
  33. 3/17/22 5,347,500 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Buena Vista, Iowa
  34. 3/17/22 147,600 chickens destroyed at farm in Kent, Delaware
  35. 3/18/22 315,400 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Cecil, Maryland
  36. 3/22/22 172,000 Turkeys destroyed on farms in South Dakota
  37. 3/22/22 570,000 chickens destroyed at farm in Butler, Nebraska
  38. 3/24/22 Fire fighters from numerous towns are battling a major fire at the McCrum potato processing facility in Belfast.
  39. 3/24/22 418,500 chickens destroyed at farm in Butler, Nebraska
  40. 3/25/22 250,300 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Franklin, Iowa
  41. 3/26/22 311,000 Turkeys destroyed in Minnesota
  42. 3/27/22 126,300 Turkeys destroyed in South Dakota
  43. 3/28/22 1,460,000 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Guthrie, Iowa
  44. 3/29/22 A massive fire burned 40,000 pounds of food meant to feed people in a food desert near Maricopa
  45. 3/31/22 A structure fire caused significant damage to a large portion of key fresh onion packing facilities in south Texas
  46. 3/31/22 76,400 Turkeys destroyed in Osceola, Iowa
  47. 3/31/22 5,011,700 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Osceola, Iowa
  48. 4/6/22 281,600 chickens destroyed at farm in Wayne, North Carolina
  49. 4/9/22 76,400 Turkeys destroyed in Minnesota
  50. 4/9/22 208,900 Turkeys destroyed in Minnesota
  51. 4/12/22 89,700 chickens destroyed at farm in Wayne, North Carolina
  52. 4/12/22 1,746,900 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Dixon, Nebraska
  53. 4/12/22 259,000 chickens destroyed at farm in Minnesota
  54. 4/13/22 Fire destroys East Conway Beef & Pork Meat Market in Conway, New Hampshire
  55. 4/13/22 Plane crashes into Gem State Processing, Idaho potato and food processing plant
  56. 4/13/22 77,000 Turkeys destroyed in Minnesota
  57. 4/14/22 Taylor Farms Food Processing plant burns down Salinas, California.
  58. 4/14/22 99,600 Turkeys destroyed in Minnesota
  59. 4/15/22 1,380,500 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Lancaster, Minnesota
  60. 4/19/22 Azure Standard nation’s premier independent distributor of organic and healthy food, was destroyed by fire in Dufur, Oregon…
THE LIST WAS TOO LONG TO POST.
Sounds like planned ARSON to me!!!

PrepareToday.com has just gotten in a new shipment of long-term storable food without the 6-8 week wait on shipping they have been experiencing the last 3 months. They carry ReadyHour foods, most of which I find pretty flavorful. We're pretty well-stocked with a year's kit, but I just topped off with an order for some more of the Chicken & Rice, Potato Soup, Powdered Whey Milk Powder and Scrambled Eggs (all in #10 cans) last Saturday and it just arrived yesterday late! Talk about FAST! Prices haven't gone down any :( but at least it's still available (and it may not be much longer folks) without a very long wait time. BTW, we find their serving sizes to be ginormous and we get many more servings from most of their food pouches that are supposed to be for 4 people. EX: the Chicken & Rice pouch would easily feed 6 adults IMHO, especially if a green veggie was served along with it.

Last edited:
I'm just saying you don't have to use the stove at all. I'm soaking some 1/4" hams slices in room temperature tap water right as I'm typing this. Been doing it for 50 years in plain tap water. Works the same to remove the salt via simple osmosis and you can do other things while that osmosis is doing its job. His stove simmering method might speed up the process, but the heating is totally unnecesssary, is all I'm saying. When SHTF and fuel is valuable and you don't want to waste it just to remove salt from SPAM or ham. Just use room temperature 70º water and change it a couple times as it gets salt-laden, reserving the poured off salted water to cook up a pot of beans or cabbage. Waste not want not. Plus, you've saved that fuel not heating. I figure I'll have lots of time on my hands when SHTF as I won't have computer access to waste my time on. Gardening and meal prep will kill my time. :)
After SHTF, and there's no AC, salt intake will be critical. SPAM is the perfect post SHTF food.

Everyone make sure you have a store of bleach, or better yet pool shock (calcium hypochlorite) as it does not go bad like bleach does.

There is a shortage of bleach and pool shock that is getting worse. A large plant in Louisiana was destroyed December 2020…and then January of this year another facility was burned down. If the water systems should go down, those who are even able to secure water won’t have a good way to make it drinkable without good filters or some calcium hypochlorite or bleach (sodium hypochlorite). Beyond drinking water,, let’s not even talk about germ killing uses on surfaces and such!

Those cows didn't die from heat. I seriously doubt it. Texas has been in the 90's and due to get 100's (up to 106º next week). There are cattle ranches all around the place and the cows don't look heat-stressed to me. The longhorns next to our place are just fine, too (I know, as two jumped the fence and got on our property last week). To get to my BOL I drive by 44Farms, one of the largest cattle producers in the state (1000's of acres), providing steaks and beef to most of the major and 5-star restaurants in the state. His cattle looked just fine last Friday. This is all a lie. Someone posted on TruthSocial a post from a farmer that said he was offered $2300/head by the FDA to kill off his heard. I posted my experience in Texas of late, not seeing cattle drop dead from heat and within minutes, my post was deleted (I tried to correct a typo and got "post not found"). The post about the FDA seems to have disappeared, too. Man, the Feds are everywhere, when you say something they don't want getting out.

Last edited:
Those cows didn't die from heat. I seriously doubt it. Texas has been in the 90's and due to get 100's (up to 106º next week). There are cattle ranches all around the place ahd the cows aren't stressed a bit. The longhorns next to our place are just fine, too (I know, as two jumped the fence and got on our property last week). To get to my BOL I drive by 44Farm, one of the largest cattle producers in the state and his cattle looked just fine last Friday. This is all a lie. Someone posted on TruthSocial a post from a farmer that said he was offered $2300/head by the FDA to kill off his heard. I posted my experience in Texas of late, not seeing cattle drop dead from heat and within minutes, my post was deleted (I tried to correct a typo and got "post not found"; The post about the FDA seems to have disappeared, too. Man, the Feds are everywhere, when you say something they don't want getting out.

I said they had to be poisoned and today I'm seeing that suggested in news articles. There should be an investigation and testing done.

Screenshot_20220616-145132.png

Those cows didn't die from heat. I seriously doubt it. Texas has been in the 90's and due to get 100's (up to 106º next week). There are cattle ranches all around the place and the cows don't look heat-stressed to me. The longhorns next to our place are just fine, too (I know, as two jumped the fence and got on our property last week). To get to my BOL I drive by 44Farms, one of the largest cattle producers in the state (1000's of acres), providing steaks and beef to most of the major and 5-star restaurants in the state. His cattle looked just fine last Friday. This is all a lie. Someone posted on TruthSocial a post from a farmer that said he was offered $2300/head by the FDA to kill off his heard. I posted my experience in Texas of late, not seeing cattle drop dead from heat and within minutes, my post was deleted (I tried to correct a typo and got "post not found"). The post about the FDA seems to have disappeared, too. Man, the Feds are everywhere, when you say something they don't want getting out.
When a dark colored calf is born during the summer months is all we have to worry about, the older ones do just fine, so yes I would be very suspicious seeing black/brown colored cows dying off by the hundreds and thousands in Kansas. I saw a video earlier today. Just so sad of them all laying out bloated for the most part cause that is what happens after death and heat.

Latest posts

Back