Do you raise chickens?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always assumed that I was not allowed because I live in a pretty typical suburban neighborhood. I recently found out I can have chickens!

My wife and three year old daughter are vegitarians so there is no way they will ever get deep fried. They would be very loved and played with pets. I love the idea of having my own fresh eggs though.

Rather than go by the text books I would like to hear from someone that actually has their hands in the muck!

How much space do they need?
How much are upkeep costs? (food, medical, etc)
How social are they (how many do i need at a min. for them to be happy.)
How many eggs do they produce?
Do they produce eggs their whole life or become just a pet after a while?
how messy are they?
chickens are very easy they will eat almost anything if u wind up in a survival type situation. and if u want to enclose them it doesnt require alot of space u can keep a rooster and several hens in a 10x12 foot area and they will do fine just give them a small door access into a building or coop of sometype with some laying boxes up off the floor you can just screw them to the wall . keep a water bowl full and u can get laying mash at any tractor supply or southern states .throw a little straw in the laying boxes for some cushion.

Latest posts

Back