Food Bartering

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People as a whole need to learn to barter all goods not just food, I have a local contractor that I barter my labor for his heavy equipment work , also barter heating and air for hunting rights on 64 acres 1/2 mile from my house. I have a older man that if I harvest a deer and want to make jerky out of it he will help for a portion of it . I really don’t mind helping someone as long as it’s fair and reciprocal to both partys.

We help an 74 year old widow with her garden at the lake nearby and get pears for canning and some veggies back. I chainsaw some wood for the other widow 2 houses down the street and she does the chicken and duck butchering which my wife does not like to do and her son is a painter and will help us in spring on the house. I bought a pig and butchered it with another neighbor in Dec. He is getting one in Feb. and we will split it 50-50 also and will smoke it here since he has no smokehouse. There are many older people who garden in town and sell what they have in excess for the extra money, we buy happily from them because we have the money and less work till our garden starts producing...as win-win process Amish! GP

Just as it should be , that the way I was taught as a youngster. Lend a helping hand to the elders in need I can think back to age 12 when I would ride with the delivery driver at a company that my mom worked for for thirty years, it was a elderly food assistant program called MEAL ON WHEELS that took prepaired meals directly to the needy . it made me proud to be able to help on delivering food during my summer break from school.

The first money I earned was with a discarded but functional lawnmower and a 1 gallon gas can. Walked around the few blocks in the area, asked 10 cents for a front yard and 25 cents for a backyard. The older folks loved the idea and I soon had regular customers who expected me every 2 weeks. Sometimes I got to use their mowers since they were newer NOT SO LOUD!!! GP

Don't see it to negative Paul

If i got one $ by each time i help people and got nothing back i would own an house ;)
But i don't give up to help others, especially friends. We do this batering since longer, helping each other with those skills we have and the other don't have. Was mostly an win - win situation at the end.
I help of course my neighbours too but i don't aspect to get something back. But it helps to have an peacfull and friendly neighbourhood an i don't need to lock always everything.
In the SHTF or post SHTF situation you need to be more carefull of course, i'm sure i'm very picky then who i'm going to help. Of course in those situations will be the risk higher than in "normal" times to be cheated or even to be an victim. But i don't believe everyone will turn to evil so fast. Of course a lot will, but i'm sure most of them wouldn't survive for long. I haven't lost my believe in the humans really even i'm having my doubts and i'm doing hard to trust in people. But sometimes you'll get really positive reactions and surprises. Just my opinion.

I just dont trust people, been let down too many times, I dont have much/anything in common with the sheeple and that goes 100 fold post SHTF, whether they live or die means nothing to me.
once the power grid goes the "great die off" will begin, I see no point in giving food, or anything else- to people who arent going to survive anything more than short term.

Last edited:
Sorry you have been living with so much negative experiences bp. Life was never promised to be easy, we only hope it will be worth it to be a correct person. We have also lost a lot helping others, but have also received much help. All good and bad comes back to you, try to send more good than bad into the world so you get some of it back! keep your head up mate. Gary

Latest posts

Back