Disgusting poop topic, but may be necessary

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNwr786

Demi-God
Reaction score
With things getting out of hand and the future of society in the balance, I have a worst case scenario to discuss here. Lets say you found yourself in a situation without a flushing toilet and have to depend on a bucket, but the environment you are in limits the options for emptying it. Say, for example, you are in an area with exposed bedrock and little topsoil with no ability to dig and have little debris to cover the waste. It adds up. I am interested in learning the best ways to treat such waste to make it safe other than walking a mile to dump it.

I have read that Ecoli dies below a pH of 2.7, thrives about neutral, give or take 1.5 on the scale, and again dies above 10. Interestingly, a quick google search suggests the neutral range is the optimum pH of a healthy septic system (which isn't an option in this theoretical discussion, just laying some groundwork here), so some other mechanism must be at play there. I assume the other bacteria in that septic system are killing all the dangerous stuff like ecoli, staph and salmonella. I have to assume that, because several experiences in life suggest poo is not as dangerous as the internet would have you believe it is. Let me left turn for a few personal observations quick.

When I was a kid, we had a ditch between fields we would catch tadpoles in and float a little rubber raft in. It was our little pond whenever it happened to have water. Years later, when the septic failed, we discovered that ditch was our drain field. Surrounded by farmland, I never really noticed a smell and I was too young to understand anyhow. We never got sick. At the age of about 5, again, not knowing any better, I would ride my bike through the water that came out of the pipe in grandmas yard (until I got yelled at). I thought it was from the well pit bilge (that the well pit didn't even have) Again, never got sick. Then I moved to a farm where our landlord told us we had to pump our own holding tank onto the field, and being on a farm, it was legal. Being broke, we did. 50' from the front door, we never got sick, and we did that often (it was a small tank). Then I worked for another neighbor doing porta-potties, not the cleanest job, but I never got sick there either, even while frequently getting it on me. And once every 3 weeks or so, the tank we dumped our truck into had a bigger truck come and pump that out. One day, I saw that same truck unloading in a field a mile or so behind our house. I asked the guy and he said he had a permit and he had been using that field for a while. I frequently walked through that field before knowing that, and again, I don't recall getting sick.. Then there are city sewer lines that break and someone has to get in the hole and fix it... See where I'm going with this? When we moved up north, we started with a composing toilet, and anyone with a female in the household who has used one daily knows they don't keep up. It got filthy and i had to constantly empty it. Again, not once getting sick. Disgusted yes, but never sick. Ever been camping in a public campground and wonder about the tank flies landing on every surface you touch within a half mile, well I don't, I never got sick... Just to send the point home, SanDiego has a sidewalk poop map and nobody seems to care.

I'm not advocating for the absolute disregard for safety by telling these stories, just trying to put real world experience up against an internet full of articles telling me to be terrified of human waste. I want to understand what makes a situation dangerous. For poo to contain exotic pathogens, the pooper must already have them, so there's that too. Obviously, with the bucket, it has no holding tank and no good bacteria to help out, so what is a person to do without a tank? I have read that ecoli can build up tolerance to acidic environments, but that a pH of 12 kills ecoli in 24 hours, salmonella in 1/2 hour, and avian flu in 10 minutes reliably (probably why farmers like lime, not just for the calcium). So, does a person hope and pray they have limestone or clam shells nearby and can burn some to make their own slaked lime? Wood ash also raises pH above 12, but I find little useful info on it's use with wastes, mostly just poo fear-mongering with every search. Before the composting toilet disaster, we used a bucket. We had organics like peat and sawdust and plenty of material to properly bury it, we even treated the area with permethrin and malathion to kill anything that would land in the area, but there may come a time that it is not so easily dealt with. Initially, we did not separate the "two", and boy would it stink if you got lazy about it. But one thing I wonder there is whether the internet is even right about separating them. Sure, it smells much better keeping the poo dry and away from urine, but when they are together, it starts to smell like ammonia. Now, I never pH tested my shit bucket, but I know ammonia is strongly basic. I am not sure if it takes an acidic environment for the bacteria to start attacking the urea, but something happens where ammonia results, lots of it. Could the ammonia, being it is a very strong base, also be serving to kill off the ecoli? I don't know, but we never got sick.

It seems to me that there are several routes that naturally destroy dangerous pathogens, but my question is what is best if you find yourself stranded in a mountainous or rocky region in a little shack? Do you keep the poo dry like the two-bucket method says and treat the area you dump it, or do you add water and base to that #2 bucket to raise the pH for a day first? What are the honest, no government bs options to keep your family safe in that situation? Sorry, I know its not a nice topic, just really curious about this as we might one day become a "developing country" again.

Last edited:
I live in a 140 year old house, we have an outhouse and also a 12 ft. deep toilet hole where the flush toilet drained into together with the shower, sink and kitchen sink until the year 2020. The natural bacteria and ph levels in the soil have kept the level of "problems" to nil. I cannot smell anything.
We were forced to implement a modern connection to the new city sanitation system in 2020 and did so. But, if all fails, I could dig out the connection and re-route it back to the original hole again in a single day as it is only buried to a depth of 1 meter/40 inches and is PVC piping that was not concreted in.
We use the outhouse daily still while working in the garden and only pee there. It remains as the immediate remedy for a total SHTF situation until I can get the "new" system built back better to the original hole in the ground.

The answer to your main question on treating shit is you steam clean it.

The simple, cheap, clean and legal solution is to use the HUMAN MANURE system.
It is approved by the EPA.

See Article 40, Page 39, on the attached Systematic Approach To Group Survival article.

Also attached is the Topic Index for the entire PDF. (Index is on Left, Article is on the Right.)

Attachments

• 3c6104_e6ce7d037a784eacb45460a6ecbe3098.pdf
    20 KB · Views: 0
  • 3c6104_d379de8661374deda262784bde02b733.pdf
    287.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It is clean, cheap, odorless, pest free and simple to use.

We experimented with it for 6 months. No odors inside the house or outside.
A family of 4 needs to go to the pile once every two weeks to dump 2 covered buckets.

I read where a University challenged the author's claims.
As instructed, the University buried a small calf in the pile.
At the end of two weeks it was only bones! It had all steamed away.

Now you have the power to change the shit in your life into sanitary shit.

Last edited:

MNwr786:​

Another option (for our large group) is to have a urinal for men (pigs).
Periodically the urine can be mixed with water (10% pee) and used in place of fertilizer on vegetables.
Remember, pee is already sterile so it doesn't need to be aged.

So perhaps it was country farmers that coined the phrase "Piss on it."

Rain will not ruin the ground water near the compost pile. It will not leach out.

Last edited:
No septic system yet at BOL2, so separate toilets for #1 and #2. Perc test done and septic system designed, but I want to wait until we get a permanent cabin laid out before I apply for a permit and run septic lines
#1 gets distributed onto the ground. #2 cannot be because of state law. Any system for processing #2 and disposing of it in or on the ground, including composting, has to be approved by the county health department and a permit issued.
Not going through applying for permit twice, so until I get the septic system installed, it gets bagged up and taken to the county dumpsters.

A. The discharge of untreated sewage onto the land or into the waters of the Commonwealth is prohibited.

B. No owner, person, or occupant shall discharge treated or untreated sewage onto the land, into the soil or into the waters of the Commonwealth without a valid permit from the commissioner or, as appropriate, a certificate issued by the Department of Environmental Quality in accordance with Title 62.1 of the Code of Virginia.

C. All buildings, residences, and structures designed for human occupancy, employment or habitation and other places where humans congregate shall be served by an approved sewerage system and/or treatment works. An approved sewerage system or treatment works is a system for which a certificate to operate has been issued jointly by the department and the Department of Environmental Quality or a system which has been issued a separate permit by the commissioner.

Doc: I don't mean to disagree or argue with you in any way, but perhaps this is a good teaching moment.

We are in a war to retake our freedom.

If this is to be one's refuge of last resort in the event of chaos, to save one's family, then why play by their rules and put your family in danger?

Trump keeps repeating that the New York case (overstatement of value)
and the Fulton County, Ga. case, (his stating the vote was a fraud), are both illegal cases as filed against him. There are no victims and all crimes must have a victim.

He is talking about 5 US 137, Marbury VS Madison, which said
"All laws rules and practices , which are repugnant to the Constitution, are null and void.

Other cases say that the governments cannot be "victims" and all crimes must have a victim (sovereign living person). Governments can only change the behavior of government employees.

See my Rant this morning:

Jim’s Daily Rant. Can The Government Judge Itself Or Be A Victim?

I realize we are talking about sewage in today's world and life,
but if we intend to free ourselves from the corruption of our corporate government,
we have to begin thinking differently.

Last edited:
I am pointing all this out because things are heating up now.

There are now County Assemblies in all 6,000 US counties.

There is a system that has been Beta Tested in courts and have worked.

There is now Support for De Jure Grand Juries to force counties and all governments, up to the Federal level, to go back to the Republics. That support is from the US Military.

See: Jim's Rant. I Joined The Peoples Operation Restoration.

Last edited:
In no way was I suggesting that open dumping should be used, I was merely worried about what a family might do when it is no longer feasible to abide by the long-standing practices that have been designed to keep us safe in short term situations. My goal was not to disobey laws for convenience sake. This was meant to be a discussion about the practicability and health risks of the options people are most likely to resort to, not to turn it into a legal pissing contest.

Latest posts

Back