Communications Plan

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are some pretty high hills not far from me, overkill really for 2m operation but there is some CB activity around here on uhf and I plan to go up and run some tests with an icom "ic-41" I picked up a while back. I have noticed over the years that the amateur radio operators down here are a pretty conformist lot, as in they all vote, all get vaccinated, all wear their hearts on the sleeve so to speak. They would not be my first choice as confederates in a dark world, and by that I mean they are very resistant to break rules and going against government edicts. Something needed even now I am afraid.

I tried to tee a couple up for meets during our lockdowns and they would have no part of it, not even in a local park where they were "allowed" to go exercise. They didn't want you in their homes either, that's another breach of rules. As a worker who had sanctioned access to peoples homes every day because my job was essential, I found this quite laughable but there you have it. Not that my job was ever classified as essential, I just believed it was and no one ever questioned me. I also took long motorcycle rides and was never accosted, those rules were for the weak in the head I came to realize.

Anyway getting back to the real point of the post, I plan to use a speaker mic on the icom so I can sit it on the car roof and get a ground-plane effect, I'll probably need a repeater to test that if I can't get a qso going. 5W on uhf will actually go a long way, I have recorded repeater contacts at 100km using only 0.5W. It's a good band but very line of sight dependent. Harking back to the lockdowns again I was told that 27meg activity in my region went through the roof at that time but I didn't explore it myself. I shall in the future though.

Currently undertaking studies to gain my foundation license will be on week 2 next week of a 3 week zoom training session have resisted all urges and temptation to purchase a mobile and handheld sets until after I've passed the examination/practical component

This will give me an extra addition to my communication plan in event that STHF does happen at some point this year

Last Saturday was judgement day to see if I had retained all the learnings from both previous weekend's practice session and 3 week zoom course on foundation amateur radio only took me about 15 or so minutes to complete the 25 question exam aside from skipping 3 questions and going back to them before i finished ended up with 23/25 right and 92% pass mark after a quick refresher/recap from previous week's practice run and some oral questions my assessor signed me off as competent

Now I'm waiting on ACMA to approve the selected call sign before I am allowed to push transmit on my baofeng UV-25 handheld I've also got a Hamgeek APX-8000 being posted out to me as well so 2 meter and 70cm will become my secondary bands incase STHF scenario does unfold of which isn't that far off given the situation in Israel where an all out conflict with Iran/Theran is likely to happen

checkout andrews communications in SYD, they are the go to place for aussie amateurs and the prices are ok. Antennas are the secret, good antennas like the Diamond X300N base station for 2 and 70 will get you out, even with a little handi. All you'll need is an adapter and some coax. You'll find as you make contacts that most amateurs use Yaesu, Icom and Kenwood gear, a bit more expensive than the chinese offerings but chalk and cheese when it comes to function and quality of sound etc.

Latest posts

Back