Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on Hawks getting them. I see a snake carrying quite often. This one had a bad landing on the electric fence

IMG_8108.jpeg

Yes, and I have had a black racer come at me. We have owl too.

My new chicken "free range" space got finished last weekend...the girls seem to be enjoying it. They did a good job putting sturdy, tight netting across the top to keep hawks at bay.
Another prepper project finished before the apocalypse .

I started putting up the wire around the new chicken run the other day. I need 2 more rolls, 200 feet, of wire and put in a few more posts to finish. I need to keep a couple places open in the fence for the cement truck to make it up to where the new solar mount is going. The cement is 2 weeks out for delivery.

Last edited:
I need to put up chicken wire over the chain link in my goose run before I put the young ones in. A project for sure. I have the chain link and doors set up to the new turkey area, it's 30 feet by 10 feet but have not put the top on or the bottom ground wire. That's another project. Hoping for some help, but probably I should just get my butt in gear.

Speaking of chickens, there lots of poo to walk through. I got tired of having to clean chicken poo out of bottom of my shoes! Don't usually take time to change shoes so these work great...I ordered 500..you just pull them apart, plop them over your shoes ...pop them off in garbage n done. Bottom of shoes, clean as a whistle!

I wear my muck boots out there but I think we're switching to sand in the house.

*the hen house, not our house! Lol
I have sand in the run and house, but I put some straw in the run to keep them from getting bored when I had to keep them contained due to predators. I also use pine shavings in nests and it get scattered on floor. Sand is heavy on the floors.

I'm going to rake it and put on garden later.

I have sand in the run and house, but I put some straw in the run to keep them from getting bored when I had to keep them contained due to predators. I also use pine shavings in nests and it get scattered on floor. Sand is heavy on the floors.

I'm going to rake it and put on garden later.
Do you like using it?
I do wonder if it will be too heavy for our floor.

Had to put a hen down today, she hurt her foot it appeared, the other day but was getting around pretty good last few days. Thought she'd be ok. Today she got trapped somehow and the other hens were pecking her head bad. Larry found her and got my son to get her out and off with her head. I swear, those hens are mean as hell when one gets sick or ill. 😔 I guess it's nature (brutal!).

I take a chair into the run and just sit there and the young ones hop up and get rubs. Tonight, one was on my shoulder trying to peck my pony tail. I turned around and she actually pecked my eye. I immediately thought of The Birds movie.
My silly wife does the same thing. She'll sit in the meat chicken coop with the meat chicks, then she'll sit on the deck at the chicken house too. A couple days ago we put all of the new chick's in with the older hens. They all get along fine.

Latest posts

Back