Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I went to check the chicks and mom in the apartment, the bottom had a large hole. The water damage from the main coop has damaged the apartment.

Spent my morning disassembling the apartment and trying to patch any holes going into the main coop.

It's a warm day and didn't take long for me to realize I need a helper. Looks like the 2x4 we ran across the back side was a bad one. It rotted, therefore the walls and flooring rotted to. Going to be too much for me to do alone. I will clean all the sand out and scrub in down so that it won't smell like poop. Hopefully we can have it done in one day so they will be able to roost in the coop.

We are going to have good weather so now I just have to find a worker. Sorry, I'm tired and rambling.

When I went to check the chicks and mom in the apartment, the bottom had a large hole. The water damage from the main coop has damaged the apartment.

Spent my morning disassembling the apartment and trying to patch any holes going into the main coop.

It's a warm day and didn't take long for me to realize I need a helper. Looks like the 2x4 we ran across the back side was a bad one. It rotted, therefore the walls and flooring rotted to. Going to be too much for me to do alone. I will clean all the sand out and scrub in down so that it won't smell like poop. Hopefully we can have it done in one day so they will be able to roost in the coop.

We are going to have good weather so now I just have to find a worker. Sorry, I'm tired and rambling.
Are you using pressure treated lumber for your floor joists, and anything else that comes in contact with the ground? I'm not sure that sand is the best medium to use on your coop floor. It may hold all the moisture in against the wood. We use pine shavings or straw on the floor in our coops and the wood is always dry when we clean out the coop. Only takes about 15 minutes to clean the floor too.

A couple days ago one of our ducks went missing. I looked around and found it dead and frozen inside of a 5 gallon bucket of water. Appearently it got in the bucket and couldn't get out. I chipped it out of the ice and got busy doing something else and the dog ran off with the carcass. He probably buried it somewhere.

Had to take son to his Best Buddies meeting last night. I had to leave coop door open till 9:45 . I was terrified for the babies. They made it inside, but couldn't get up into a box. I left them on the floor with the mom.

When you have animals, it's a 24/7 job. Many don't understand that.

Something killed one of my hens today while she was free ranging.

Odd part is, they didn't eat any of her. Openened her abdomen and pulled out the intestines, but didn't eat any of her.

This leaves out foxes, raccoons, and possums. I guess I will leave them in the run tomorrow. That's tricky too because I found one of my youngest is a rooster. Three roosters is too many. He is going to become chicken soup for one of my customers on Saturday. (If I can catch him as soon as they awaken). Not a very friendly chicken.

Odd part is, they didn't eat any of her. Openened her abdomen and pulled out the intestines, but didn't eat any of her.

Did you check to see if the liver was missing? Some predators go straight for the liver.

My guess is a weasel.

Last edited:
Not many weasels in Tennessee, but they eat the head first. Her head was intact.

I just picked up the intestines and put them in a bag. Probably wouldn't know a liver if I saw it.

They are almost everywhere in the US, at least in the lower 48. Rarely seen, they keep to the bushes and stay out of sight, usually only coming out at night. We've caught them on game cams - always at night, and even then they don't come out in the open often. They are known to pull out the intestines of chickens.
oPulon4.jpg

This leaves out foxes, raccoons, and possums. I guess I will leave them in the run tomorrow. That's tricky too because I found one of my youngest is a rooster. Three roosters is too many. He is going to become chicken soup for one of my customers on Saturday. (If I can catch him as soon as they awaken). Not a very friendly chicken.
Look for puncture wounds in the back or under the wings . Could have been a hawk and it was spooked off but not big enough to carry her away .

Latest posts

Back