Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robin, I suspect the squirrel was another Kennedy? No loss to the world there.

AD, it depends. I've known lots of weasels. But if my wife opened the freezer and saw the weasel "Bob" the thief or "Larry" the cattle rustler, she'd have an issue as well.

We don't have weasels here. I did have a squirrel commit suicide in the pool this week.
Robin Weasels are native here . They are not as common as they are in Northern States but they are here . They can kill a squirrel bigger than they are . Mink are much more common here and they both attack chickens the same way . By grabbing them on the back of the head and only eating a small part of the neck then on to the next bird .

Just about dusk tonight I went out to check on the meat chickens and almost about stepped on a rattlesnake. The bastard didn't rattle and went under the coop. I crawled under the coop after it and shot it as it struck. This was one of the largest rattlers that I've killed here so far. We've had very warm evenings for the last week, not dropping below 75 degs at night so the snakes are active all night. Next week we should be back to normal, in the 40's and 50's at night.

Just about dusk tonight I went out to check on the meat chickens and almost about stepped on a rattlesnake. The bastard didn't rattle and went under the coop. I crawled under the coop after it and shot it as it struck. This was one of the largest rattlers that I've killed here so far. We've had very warm evenings for the last week, not dropping below 75 degs at night so the snakes are active all night. Next week we should be back to normal, in the 40's and 50's at night.

Cannot believe you followed it under the coop. Are you crazy? Wasn't he coiled and ready to strike? I would have wet my pants.

Robin Weasels are native here . They are not as common as they are in Northern States but they are here . They can kill a squirrel bigger than they are . Mink are much more common here and they both attack chickens the same way . By grabbing them on the back of the head and only eating a small part of the neck then on to the next bird .

Wonder if it's because they are just going after a certain gland or something ? Like pituitary gland. Sounds like a werewolf just eating the heart.

Cannot believe you followed it under the coop. Are you crazy? Wasn't he coiled and ready to strike? I would have wet my pants.
I guess I didn't think. My concern was about the wife or dog getting bit. Yes, he did coil as I was crawling under the building which is what I was counting on. That way I could see his outline in the dark and get a good shot.

I guess I didn't think. My concern was about the wife or dog getting bit. Yes, he did coil as I was crawling under the building which is what I was counting on. That way I could see his outline in the dark and get a good shot.

Well AD you just red flagged yourself. According to the rules, you are incapable of being a responsible gun owner. We will have to confiscate all of your firearms. Welcome to the New World Order

Well AD you just red flagged yourself. According to the rules, you are incapable of being a responsible gun owner. We will have to confiscate all of your firearms. Welcome to the New World Order
Maybe your right. After all snakes have feelings too. I guess I should have called a government agency and have them remove the rattlers. Or better yet, I'll turn my place in to a rattlesnake sanctuary and collect millions of tax payers $$$ to "save" the rattlesnake.
I bet global warming has something to do with the high snake population, or it could be Trump's fault.

They are small finicky eaters . O guess they want the soft tissue and the blood from the back of the neck .

I'm afraid to ask... which critter are finicky eaters? Werewolfs? I know you're not talking about possums...

We've lost 8 of our meat chickens so far, but only 2 to predators. This year we went with Cornish Roasters. We were told that due to our elevation that we could have some losses with this breed so we bought a few extra. They'll be ready to butcher in about 2 weeks. These birds really go through the feed. After they're butchered we'll calculate the cost of raising them and see if it's worth it.

I definitely go in the Red on my chickens and bees.

Next year I will harvest another hive so I should have about 9 extra frames of honey. I definitely go in the hole on chickens by selling a dozen eggs for $2. They don't eat that much feed durung thw summer because there are so many goodies in the woods.

Latest posts

Back