Beginning of Food Crisis in First World Countries?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nobody will actually starve in the UK until TSHTF for real, well a few might but they are the idiots who cant cook. wont cook and live off take aways and ready meals, plenty of those types in the cities.
I have lived in a British city, 40 years, and I have lived for the last 25 years in rural areas, so I think I have seen both sides of the coin.
Arable farmers HAVE to use the mono cropping method, heavy in chemicals, fertilisers and pesticides, to produce the amounts of food they have to these days, there are only 2 places in the UK that produce fertilisers, from imported ingredients I am told and mostly from Russia, so thats stuffed for a start, one of these fertiliser plants is mothballed, shutdown, and the other may be too for all I know, so post SHTF without imports no fertiliser will be produced and no imported pesticides so mono cropping will not be possible and those areas of land will not produce crops without those chemicals, the land will be infertile for years. post SHTF without imports we will be unable to feed the current population of this country, so a large die off would seem inevitable.
as for nowhere in Britain being remote, that may be true if someone lives near the capital or one of the big cities, but there are areas that are many miles, several hundreds of miles from these cities and without fuel, filling stations will be empty within 24 hours of the mass panic caused by a major SHTF event, British drivers drive mostly on empty or low tanks, so a mass walkout from the cities just isnt logical, coupled with the fact we have an obesity crisis in this country and most people are seriously unhealthy and unfit for such an event. the amount of people waiting for treatment is proof of this. the number of people that would attempt to walk anywhere would therefore be minimal and would not happen anyway until the leccy went off, most would expect the govt to save them, some hope.
wife was told a long time ago by a doctor no less, that we live "in the middle of nowhere" and that he wouldnt want to live where we do.

Last edited:
nobody will actually starve in the UK until TSHTF for real, well a few might but they are the idiots who cant cook. wont cook and live off take aways and ready meals, plenty of those types in the cities.
I have lived in a British city, 40 years, and I have lived for the last 25 years in rural areas, so I think I have seen both sides of the coin.
Arable farmers HAVE to use the mono cropping method, heavy in chemicals, fertilisers and pesticides, to produce the amounts of food they have to these days, there are only 2 places in the UK that produce fertilisers, from imported ingredients I am told and mostly from Russia, so thats stuffed for a start, one of these fertiliser plants is mothballed, shutdown, and the other may be too for all I know, so post SHTF without imports no fertiliser will be produced and no imported pesticides so mono cropping will not be possible and those areas of land will not produce crops without those chemicals, the land will be infertile for years. post SHTF without imports we will be unable to feed the current population of this country, so a large die off would seem inevitable.
as for nowhere in Britain being remote, that may be true if someone lives near the capital or one of the big cities, but there are areas that are many miles, several hundreds of miles from these cities and without fuel, filling stations will be empty within 24 hours of the mass panic caused by a major SHTF event, British drivers drive mostly on empty or low tanks, so a mass walkout from the cities just isnt logical, coupled with the fact we have an obesity crisis in this country and most people are seriously unhealthy and unfit for such an event. the amount of people waiting for treatment is proof of this. the number of people that would attempt to walk anywhere would therefore be minimal and would not happen anyway until the leccy went off, most would expect the govt to save them, some hope.
wife was told a long time ago by a doctor no less, that we live "in the middle of nowhere" and that he wouldnt want to live where we do.
I've had people tell me that we live in the middle of nowhere too. To me we live in the middle of the best possible place we could be if things go south. There's everything one would need around us; mountains, forests, lakes, springs, creeks with good drinking water, fish and game. And most importantly, no people.
I agree, most people in the cities will sit on their fat arse and wait for the government to come to their rescue. They won't walk very far, especially in winter. Most city people don't even have adequate winter clothing or good shoes.

They won't walk very far, especially in winter. Most city people don't even have adequate winter clothing or good shoes.
And, how many would get into their car or truck without blankets, sleeping bags or food and water and then "get surprised" when the car breaks down and they are stuck "in the middle of nowhere" and die from cold...

All of you above have pointed out very important facts of the change in “modern humans”. All showing one thing clearly…humans, as a whole, have LOST the knowledge and skills and even drive to survive!!!
the modern masses have dispensed with all the old skills which will be required to survive WTSHTF, their knowledge comes from the internet, why learn anything when you can google it? except after SHTF that is.

And, how many would get into their car or truck without blankets, sleeping bags or food and water and then "get surprised" when the car breaks down and they are stuck "in the middle of nowhere" and die from cold...
When I was a teen, I always had a generator, jumper cables, blankets, a first aid kit, flares, and reflectors in my car. Everyone made fun of me, but who did they call over when they needed a jump?

Now I can't imagine letting my kids take a car out that didn't have those basic supplies.

When I was a teen, I always had a generator, jumper cables, blankets, a first aid kit, flares, and reflectors in my car. Everyone made fun of me, but who did they call over when they needed a jump?

Now I can't imagine letting my kids take a car out that didn't have those basic supplies.

You forgot kitty litter! Never leave home without it! lol.

The only thing I see missing on that list is tire chains and a tow strap.

Yeah, definitely didn't have those. I did have the kitty litter and a snow shovel though!
Even though all my vehicles are 4 wheel drive I still use chains a lot just to get in my driveway. Many times I chain all 4 wheels on my truck. My tractor and ATV's have all 4 wheels chained all winter.

I still carry all that plus a hatchet, machete, tow cable, TP, spare bulbs, hand warmers, hand sanitiser, 2 wool blankets, smoke bombs if I am lost in the woods, sky flares if lost at night, tubeless tire repair kit, spare clothes, 1 gallon of water and two bags of MREs, a small butane stove, an umbrella and even spare cigarettes for my wife. You don't wanna know what I carry if we go on a longer trip...that is all just an EDC. I hate it when I go over the border to Serbia and they ask me to "unpack" my car to see if I am smuggling anything....I do not speak enough serbian to explain all of it.

I've had people tell me that we live in the middle of nowhere too. To me we live in the middle of the best possible place we could be if things go south. There's everything one would need around us; mountains, forests, lakes, springs, creeks with good drinking water, fish and game. And most importantly, no people.
I agree, most people in the cities will sit on their fat arse and wait for the government to come to their rescue. They won't walk very far, especially in winter. Most city people don't even have adequate winter clothing or good shoes.
We would like for you to refrain from your prejudices, we prefer to say" when things go north" as a situation deteriorates.

I still carry all that plus a hatchet, machete, tow cable, TP, spare bulbs, hand warmers, hand sanitiser, 2 wool blankets, smoke bombs if I am lost in the woods, sky flares if lost at night, tubeless tire repair kit, spare clothes, 1 gallon of water and two bags of MREs, a small butane stove, an umbrella and even spare cigarettes for my wife. You don't wanna know what I carry if we go on a longer trip...that is all just an EDC. I hate it when I go over the border to Serbia and they ask me to "unpack" my car to see if I am smuggling anything....I do not speak enough serbian to explain all of it.
I carry a GHB in my car 12 months of the year.

I think the loss of the internet and google will kill more people than the vax. Suicide is the only choice for the stupid. You can't fix stupid.
when people rely on "the system" for their everyday needs when that system fails so will they.
once the power grid goes down that will be the end of modern life as we know it, all the screens will go blank and no one will know what to do.

There was a time back in college (in MN), a couple of us decided to go on a road trip during a winter break in February (during a snowstorm).

We ended up skidding off a really small county road and down an embankment. The car did not have 4wd and we were stuck for the night. (nearest town was 15 miles and there was no traffic because no one except stupid college kids were out on the roads). We did not have cell phones back then.

It was COLD. Like -15 without the windchill. This was one of the things that kept us from freezing to death.

There was a time back in college (in MN), a couple of us decided to go on a road trip during a winter break in February (during a snowstorm).

We ended up skidding off a really small county road and down an embankment. The car did not have 4wd and we were stuck for the night. (nearest town was 15 miles and there was no traffic because no one except stupid college kids were out on the roads). We did not have cell phones back then.

It was COLD. Like -15 without the windchill. This was one of the things that kept us from freezing to death.

A couple weeks ago while coming home from town I slid off the road. Went through the ditch and up the bank and finally made it back on the road. The snow was deep and soft so there wasn't any damage to the Jeep. Many times I get stuck on our driveway and end up walking a couple miles to get home. Cold is one thing, but the wind is the killer. Sometimes when I'm walking home, and the wind is really blowing, I'll stop at the pump house and warm up.
It's critical in winter to carry some warm blankets, extra gloves, wool hat, fire starters, hatchet, knife, etc.

A couple weeks ago while coming home from town I slid off the road. Went through the ditch and up the bank and finally made it back on the road. The snow was deep and soft so there wasn't any damage to the Jeep. Many times I get stuck on our driveway and end up walking a couple miles to get home. Cold is one thing, but the wind is the killer. Sometimes when I'm walking home, and the wind is really blowing, I'll stop at the pump house and warm up.
It's critical in winter to carry some warm blankets, extra gloves, wool hat, fire starters, hatchet, knife, etc.

I went to a small college (<1200) with a small campus. We would walk from the dorms to the big building across the commons. Your eyes would start watering and by the time you got to the building, they were frozen shut. It was maybe a 1400 foot walk.

I exchanged that for a place where in July you step outside and before you are there for 20 minutes, sweat drips down your legs and soaks your socks!

One of the things that gets people here is you do not have time to acclimate. A week ago, we had highs near 80 and lows in the 60's. Last night it was a feels like of -7. Your body just doesn't have time to adapt.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back