Battery chain saws

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNwr786

Demi-God
Reaction score
I've been a big Husqvarna fan ever since I could hold a chainsaw, so when I saw those little chinese 4 to 6" handheld electric chainsaws that take a lithium drill battery, I laughed. I recently used my dads and then got one for my birthday as well and I absolutely LOVE IT! That thing is so light and easy to use and the battery actually lasts a while. So far, I'm very impressed! For all those little trees and branches creeping in on the trails too big for the pruner but too small to be swinging around a heavy gas saw, you cannot beat it! I always wanted one of those miniature gas saws, but this thing does it for me. Now, if I want to climb a ladder and take down a 4" branch, I don't need to carry a heavy saw up the ladder. For less than 100 bucks, everyone should have one, even if it only lasts a few years (gonna find out :) )!

I had a friend that exclusively used a plug in electric chain saw. He never had a problem around the house.

As I was losing my gas powered hand tools to age and crappy gas. I started replacing with the battery powered items of the same make and battery type. Leaf blower, weed eater, chain saw, hedge clipper, and finally the lawn mower.
Chain saw works well enough for me. I also am not cutting down 7 ft diameter oaks. But it has worked on 2ft trees. I have plenty of batteries to go spend 4 hours cutting wood out on the back 40.
Would I buy the same system again? Probably not. Mikita uses the same batteries as my power tools and those batteries worked for contractors.

the battery oped chainsaws would have some definite prep qualities - key to me is having it use a universal battery pack that fits my other tools - wouldn't have regular use for one and multiple tools would make it attractive...
Agreed. I went with Cobalt 80 amp system but I impressed with the Mikita system because I have used those drills and saws to death. Very rarely lost a battery. Can’t say the same for Cobalt.

I have a battery operated pole chain saw that has seen extensive use. As long as you keep the chain sharp, it cuts really well. I do have problems with the chain jumping off track sometimes. I have three batteries, but rarely need to change batteries. Not only is it good for cutting limbs up high, it's also good for reaching way into a bunch of branches to cut branches out of the way when you are cutting up a tree, or any other time when getting to something to cut it is awkward.
I also have a plug in electric chain saw that I've had for decades which I use around the house. I've worn out one chain on it and replaced it. When I don't feel like fiddling with the Poulan, I use it. I've run it out in the woods off of an inverter hooked up to a car battery. If it ever dies I will replace it with a battery chain saw same brand as the battery pole saw so I can share batteries.
And I have a Poulan, which my tree guy calls a pullin' cause you pull and pull and pull on the starter rope. Some times it works, some times it doesn't. I only get it out when I have a REALLY BIG job.

Someone should invent battery adapters for cordless equipment. It sure would be nice to use one of my current batteries on all my old stuff with bad batteries! Adapters don't go bad, neither do the tools built back when companies actually cared about quality but were limited by battery technology. Now batteries can hold their own, . I used to have Makita, Porter Cable, and DeWalt, but the names and associated quality seems to be shifting just as it did with black and decker 20 years ago. I understand the batteries are the primary source of income for these companies, as they often die before the tool, but in my opinion, if a company wants to put their tool out there as better than the rest, why not be compatible with the competitions batteries! That would stir the power tool pot!

My wife just keep buying a new tool to get the new battery. I didnt mention the pole saw this year. It works out cheaper Than buying batteries.
My advice 1 system to do as many things possible. 5 years into this change process, it’s my opinion. It may not be the best individual tool, but I can deal with a system that works.

We picked up a Rigid kit. It has a drill (with hammer feature), a hex bit driver, orbital sander, flash light, sawzall, skill saw, rotozip and cut-off tool with disks for metal, ceramic and plastic. Unfortunately, the metal cutoff wheel has an arbor size of 5/16" and they never marketed replacements (dumb), but the shaft itself is 3/8" and it does work with standard 3/8" cutoff wheels if the pieces that hold the 5/16" wheels are reversed on the shaft and tightened well. They also have an angle grinder, router and a few other things that take the same battery that I intend to get once money becomes valuable again.

I have an electric pole saw for branches of trees but, really, can I buck up 24 inch rounds with one?

When my pole saw's chain kept hopping off the track I got fed up and used conduit clips to attach my reciprocating saw to a ten foot section of two inch conduit. Above ten feet and you can sleeve a smaller diameter piece of pipe into the first section. It will cut anything that's smaller in diameter than the blade is long. For work away from mains power I plug into a little 1000 watt two stroke generator.
The little two stroke generator pretty much did away with my battery powered tools.

I am amazed that the power and quality of batteries has gone up so much while the price has gone down so much. I used to mix gas and oil. Now I use solar power to charge all my batteries.

I've wondered about the battery powered chainsaws myself; thanks for the post. I use my DeWalt sawzall (60v battery) with a 9" wood cutting blade and it hasn't let me down yet. Do you think the chainsaw is better? The DeWalt weed trimmer is awesome too!
I use the blower to kill the moles in my yard. I burn one of the smoke bombs, drop it in the holes, and blow it into the hole on full blast. I'll see smoke coming out of the ground all over.

A chainsaw should be considered a basic prepping tool and I think everyone should learn how to use them. My oldest daughter can not but my youngest daughter certainly can and so can my son and oldest grandson.

An electric chain saw might have real prepper potential if it could actually work on the fire wood level and could be recharged using a solar generator (thus avoiding dependency on gasoline).

No reason there can't be a battery powered splitter. Just a hydraulic pump, motor, ram, and reversing valve. Same principle as a lift gate. If things got rough and you couldn't get gas, you could replace the gas motor with a heavy duty DC version powered by two 12 volt batteries in series or a big 24 volt like they use in large trucks.

Compared to having to manage a stock of batteries, which usually fail without warning, mixing a little gas twice a year isn't a big deal to me. Those little two stroke motors have such a high power to weight ration that they're hard to beat. My little generator doesn't weigh much more than the gas can I carry, although a friend who has to walk over a mile to a cabin he's renovating uses battery tools exclusively because they all use the same battery and there's no generator or gas to carry. Carrying a generator along with gas, cords, and tools would be a task.

Latest posts

Back