Winter 2019/2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey AD, lay the chains out straight on the ground with the right distance between them for the tires. Run a piece of wire through the rim long enough to hook into the end links of both sides of the chains. As you drive forward slowly, the chains will be pulled up and over, then down and under the tires, have the wife tell you when to stop. Hook the ends up and tighten them. Used to do that with 4 chains on a Powerwagon, all at once.
That may help. But I'll still need to lift the chains over the lugs to get them tight. It's supposed to stop snowing tonight, I'll work on it tomorrow. The wife flies in on Friday so I need to leave here by 5 am. I'll have all day tomorrow to get the road open.
We're up to about 2 feet now and still snowing.

Really hope it could solve your problem. Don't understand the problem with the lugs as I can't see them. I imagine you have enough experience to get it done tho.
I need to get all the slack out of the chains otherwise they can come off. I use a big bar to pry the chain over the lugs. Even then I end up throwing a chain a couple times a winter. It's a real pain putting the chain back on when it's zero, windy and on a narrow steep hill.
On the front tires I can use the loader to raise the front wheels off the ground, throw the chain over the top of the tire and spin it around.

For the first of many times, I will say that I'm so jealous. All we had was lots if rain.
You can have some of ours Robin. We get little to no rain during the summer so we get 90% of our yearly moisture in the winter. And when it starts snowing here it doesn't seem to stop until we get 4-6 feet on the ground. Normally I'd be better prepared for it, but finishing the wood shed, the house and moving in has consumed most of my time.

You can have some of ours Robin. We get little to no rain during the summer so we get 90% of our yearly moisture in the winter. And when it starts snowing here it doesn't seem to stop until we get 4-6 feet on the ground. Normally I'd be better prepared for it, but finishing the wood shed, the house and moving in has consumed most of my time.
I can’t even imagine trying to function in 6’ of snow!

Arcticdude, once you get the chains on, take a small tie-down strap and really stretch the chains tight with it. Kinda run it in form of a six-pointed star in a zig-zag and pull the chains good and tight. They won't be all sloppy and slip around on or slip off of the tire...

When I look out of the window, I can see the bank, the restaurant/butcher shop, the bakery, the Saturday market and the Christmas tree in our parking lot:
Christmas.JPG

Now in the evening and with all the people celebrating the first advent with candles:

View attachment 9761
That’s pretty cool, being in a small community where you can walk to everything and probably know most of your neighbors. I love where I am but it’s rural and most neighbore never do more than wave when driving past.

That’s pretty cool, being in a small community where you can walk to everything and probably know most of your neighbors. I love where I am but it’s rural and most neighbore never do more than wave when driving past.

Around here if the neighbours saw you drive past they would probably go and burgle your house.

Latest posts

Back