What's for dinner tonight?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ON THE JOB TRAINING...Even a touch of re-conditioning. Once you get it baked in a wood fired oven and have the smokey taste on your tongue, you'll never go back. GP
I draw the line at "burnt".

"Smokey taste on the tongue" if taken to "burnt" is totally unpalatable to me. French Roast coffee, peated Single Malt, burnt BBQ, charred hamburger, all equally revolting. Now good applewood or mesquite smoked meat, if not over smoked, I can dig.

Just yesterday I had a genuine certified authentic Neapolitan pizza, cooked in a wood fired oven at 1000°F, burnt leopard spots on the crust and all. Fortunately I has some wine to wash the disgusting burnt taste out of my mouth.

Last edited:
Who said a bloody thing about burnt?? DrH, you're putting burnt words in my mouth and I can't stand the taste either. :p I meant the wonderful aroma of a bread baked in a wood fire, with the wood smoke AROMA, just like your pizza, smoked ham or beef jerky. I have a smoke house in Hungary and we make our own smoked hams, jerky, cheese, garlic and onions. When it is going the whole neighborhood gets jealous. (hope you are too now...) GP

Who said a bloody thing about burnt?? DrH, you're putting burnt words in my mouth and I can't stand the taste either.

You'll have to forgive me GP, the taste of that burnt crust pizza was still fresh in my mind when I wrote that, LOL

I cook with charcoal not wood, but the charcoal has bits of applewood. I used to like hickory smoked meat, but it now gives me indigestion. Applewood, oak, mesquite, and surprisingly guava smoke sit well with my stomach.

Cooked about a 5lb thick sirloin steak on the grill last night. Did a dry rub on it and let it sit a while before cooking to a perfect medium hot pink center. Also grilled zucchini slices that were marinated in soy, pepper, onion and garlic. Had some more of it for breakfast and lunch today. And guess what’s for dinner tonight too! I don’t think I could ever get tired of eating a good flavorful steak.

Applewood, oak, mesquite, and surprisingly guava smoke sit well with my stomach.
Not to worry Sir, I cannot be insulted, anything you or others here could possibly say, is probably true...done just about everything, seen lots and am trying to forget some of it...
GUAVA?? Got me there, been gone from home too long. Makes me think of Guarano...:lame: Happy New Year...GP

True Guava (genus Psidium) is a tropical fruit in the myrtle family, but there is a closely related genus (Acca) that can be cultivated farther north. Guava bruises easily and usually doesn't ship well, so you normally don't see it in supermarkets.
My parents had a pineapple guava tree (Acca sellowiana), and my father made delicious guava jelly from it for years before he passed away. I had heard that true guava wood was good for smoking, so I tried smoking venison with pineapple guava wood from my parents' house. (it grows prolifically and needs frequent pruning). It produced some excellent smoked venison.
440px-Acca_sellowiana_Fruit_MHNT_Fronton.jpg
440px-Acca_sellowiana-IMG_0248.jpg

Last edited:
Texas Roadhouse again, another mystery shop. I think DR. Henley might be interested in becoming a mystery shopper, Texas Roadhouse is shopped by a company called Reality Based Group.
I really like TR steaks, good flavors. Since starting the electrical company we have had one customer stiff us on the bill and it was the Texas Roadhouse that’s the closest to us. The guy is the worst manager I’ve ever seen in a corporate chain store. So, the 400.00 repair really doesn't bother me too much, but as a matter of principle I will never eat at that location again. Stupid manager, with my love of steak he would have made a lot more from me as a customer over the last three years.

I really like TR steaks, good flavors. Since starting the electrical company we have had one customer stiff us on the bill and it was the Texas Roadhouse that’s the closest to us. The guy is the worst manager I’ve ever seen in a corporate chain store. So, the 400.00 repair really doesn't bother me too much, but as a matter of principle I will never eat at that location again. Stupid manager, with my love of steak he would have made a lot more from me as a customer over the last three years.

Go to your local justice of the peace and submit a claim, you will likely get a judgment and put a lien on the business. Then they cant borrow any money until they pay you. Go to corporate and tell them what you will do if not paid.

Go to your local justice of the peace and submit a claim, you will likely get a judgment and put a lien on the business. Then they cant borrow any money until they pay you. Go to corporate and tell them what you will do if not paid.
I thought about complaining to corporate but I honestly don’t feel it is worth the effort. I’m not worried about the job losses as much as not eating there anymore! The guy is just one of those people you meet in life that’s just better to avoid. I feel compassion for those that have no other choice but to work for him but luckily we have lots of good customers that are a pleasure to work with. Overall we have only one deadbeat that didn’t pay a bill in 4 yrs. that’s a whole lot better than most companies I’ve spoken with. I chaulk it up with life experience.

Go to corporate and tell them what you will do if not paid.
As big as the competition is in the food chain world, if you go to corporate and tell them about the negative advertisement you plan to start in Facebook, Whatsapp, Twitter and elsewhere, they will find a leverage to help you get your money plus a few free meals to boot, follow Rellgars advice and keep us posted...GP

I had heard that true guava wood was good for smoking,
Since I do some smoking in Hungary, I have planted the first, known to me, pecan trees there, 5 in my garden and 6 by my brother-in-law. Maybe I should look into a way to get guave seeds or fruit to take with me. Anything to keep me busy and make the neighbors jealous, thanks DrH. GP

Latest posts

Back