What's for dinner tonight?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How cold does it get in winter? Once well established, the pineapple guava can survive moderate winters, but can't take much wind.
We have a mild winter, kinda like mid-US. Not long or hard, snow comes and doesn't stay too long. The land is pretty flat, get some wind there. My brother-in-law has a wooded acreage where we started with the pecan trees, I guess we could plant guava between the acacia, willows, pecans and birch trees to protect them from the wind. He heats with the acacia and birch. We'll see soon, I want to go down again in spring.

Where cornmeal is finely ground corn grits are coarse ground hominy made from corn . So its a hot cereal made from hominy .
okay, never knew what it was, not something referred to in the UK , I think I saw it on one of the John Wayne westerns "The Undefeated" didn't look too appetising !!!

Bigpaul, like most other things, it really depends on how you fix it. It can be very appetizing if prepared right.

You might know it by the name "polenta" Most grits now are just coarsely ground dent corn (maize), which is the same thing as polenta, and is even labeled that some of the time.
iu

"Old fashioned" grits are coarsely ground hominy, which is dent corn treated with lye in a process called nixtamalization. This is the only kind of grits I buy:
iu

never had grits, what are grits?
I’m a southerner so will probably be persecuted for this but grits are a bland tasteless concoction that reminds me of polystyrene. It seems like they would be really healthy so I’ve tried to eat them dozens of times but just can’t get to like them without smothering them in butter, sugar or salt, or other things that get rid of any health benefits they might have. I did have shrimp and grits that wasn’t bad with a spicey Louisiana red sauce. All that good flavor drowned out the blandness of the grits.

Easy over eggs on toast and bacon strips on top, then another toast. Bacon and eggs sandwich with the best of the Arabian coffee. Orange juice and leftover Christmas cookies. Almond slices covered with melted chocolate and allowed to cool into a cookie. PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY!!!GP

I really like this thread. No political strife, no religious debates, just good old fashioned meal ideas.
I had fried chicken and potato salad for lunch, then a huge fried fish filet with salad and an appetizer or fried mushrooms. I’m on a short vacation so am not sticking to my diet right now..... it’s friggin wonderful!

I stopped at Sonic on my drive back to TX from my parents' place and got some onion rings. Then as I was pulling out of the parking lot I saw about 5 cop cars come in from both directions and surround a car in front of the shop next door. I drove away before it could get any more exciting. At least the onion rings were good.

Latest posts

Back