This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That glock is awesome looking. Is that an add on for a pistol or a carbine? Either way, compact and cool.
Add on for a pistol, red dot sight on top with flashlight, ir laser and laser on the side rail, called a Roni and they are now available for most modern pistols.

Today I bought a travel trailer (or caravan for our English friends) to live in for the winter. It's a 28 foot 2017 model. Haven't seen it yet but it looked nice on the computer. Will pick it up on Monday. Ordered a new Generac 10,000 watt generator for the well pump. The 8kw keeps tripping breakers. I guess pulling water from 650' under ground and pushing it through almost a half mile of pipe is too much for it. I'll use it on the trailer for now. Also ordered a new Miller Trailblazer EFI 325 amp welder. I need to build some cattle guards and get them installed soon.
So much for that checkbook! Seriously, I never feel bad about spending money on tangible things that you will have for years. I'm sure you're going to be a lot more comfortable in the camper vs that barn too. As far as the welder, they are an indispensable tool to have around. Being to repair or fabricate things can save a lot of money, and be a life saver if shtf. One thing I've been thinking of is grid power. How does the local utility there work with you on getting power to such a remote place? Will they cost share or do you foot the whole bill?

Add on for a pistol, red dot sight on top with flashlight, ir laser and laser on the side rail, called a Roni and they are now available for most modern pistols.
It is tough looking! Are you allowed to own semi auto rifles over there?

So much for that checkbook! Seriously, I never feel bad about spending money on tangible things that you will have for years. I'm sure you're going to be a lot more comfortable in the camper vs that barn too. As far as the welder, they are an indispensable tool to have around. Being to repair or fabricate things can save a lot of money, and be a life saver if shtf. One thing I've been thinking of is grid power. How does the local utility there work with you on getting power to such a remote place? Will they cost share or do you foot the whole bill?
Yes. Yesterday was an expensive day. The stock market had been very good to me over the years but I think it's time to start moving away from stocks to more tangible and useful goods.
The welder is a great tool to have around the place, plus I could do welding jobs around the area if I want to. It also has a 12k generator which will power anything that I may need.
The power lines end about 6 miles away so the cost to bring it up here would be prohibited. Plus there is nobody living between there and here to cost share with. We're going with solar, wind and a backup diesel generator. The house will be heated with wood and we'll have propane for cooking and the water heater. That's next year's projects. Our goal is to be as independent and self-sufficient as possible.
After I get the trailer setup I'll start looking for a new boat and another 4 wheeler.

Surprised you went with a diesel backup, when already doing propane for others?

Surprised you went with a diesel backup, when already doing propane for others?
There are certainly advantages and disadvantages to both diesel and propane gensets. I went with diesel over propane primarily for two reasons; longevity. A diesel engine will last 2-3 times longer than a propane between rebuilds, and a diesel generator is overall less expensive to operate. If I needed an occasional use generator for backup then I would have went with propane. Until I get the wind and solar system up and running I may have to run the generator for long periods of time.
I can buy off-road diesel fuel for both my tractor and genset and avoid all taxes. With the proper additives and treatment diesel fuel can have a long shelf life too, not as long as propane, but long enough for my needs. I can also make diesel if needed.

Yes, but not full auto.
I don't know the rules here well, but know you can get a special permit for fully auto. Probably just more scrutiny and money. I kind of feel that it's just a waste of ammo anyways. It's impossible to stay on target. I can squeeze my trigger finger pretty fast anyways.

I don't know the rules here well, but know you can get a special permit for fully auto. Probably just more scrutiny and money. I kind of feel that it's just a waste of ammo anyways. It's impossible to stay on target. I can squeeze my trigger finger pretty fast anyways.
You definitely don't need full auto if you can shoot like this guy.

Well my daughter moved away today and took my grandbabys. Her husband got a job at a sawmill about 5 hours away. Not sure how that's going to change our plans yet.
That sucks! I know the feeling, I have 4 grandkids 500mi away in fla. and 2 in Chicago. So we're lucky to see them once a year. My daughter in law had just gotten pregnant with their first recently but lost it after about three or four weeks. Really sucked. One of these days I hope to have little ones nearby.

Diesel does better in very cold temperatures ;)

Huh? It gels. I frickin' hate it when the weather is cold and I have to deal with it. (and "cold" here isn't even that cold.)

I wasn't aware of cold problems with diesel either. I had heard of mold or algae growing in it in summer though. I guess there's no perfect solution. The best plan is to have more than one option I guess.

Got all the water lines filled in today and the first load of gravel was delivered. Had something weird happen too. As I was backfilling the ditch I saw another rattlesnake on the edge of the trench. I got off the tractor and took a shot at it, and missed. The snake went in to the ditch. As I was taking aim again the ground gave out under my feet and I fell 5' in to the ditch with a very angry rattler. Didn't miss with the next shot.

Got all the water lines filled in today and the first load of gravel was delivered. Had something weird happen too. As I was backfilling the ditch I saw another rattlesnake on the edge of the trench. I got off the tractor and took a shot at it, and missed. The snake went in to the ditch. As I was taking aim again the ground gave out under my feet and I fell 5' in to the ditch with a very angry rattler. Didn't miss with the next shot.
Sorry, I'm a snake and reptile in general fan. I catch snakes all the time and pick them up to mess with em for a little while before letting them go. I usually am happy to live and let live even with poisonous snakes. Now when I had little kids playing in the yard I wasn't so easy to get along with and killed a few. Now that it's just adults here on the property I usually don't mess with them. Anyways, am glad you didn't get bit.
Here's a fun fact for you; in the US there's about 1.5 people killed by snake bit each year. (Ok, I don't really understand the half here but let's go with it). When you consider that number, compared to all the other things that can kill you, why are we all still creeped out by snakes?

Sorry, I'm a snake and reptile in general fan. I catch snakes all the time and pick them up to mess with em for a little while before letting them go. I usually am happy to live and let live even with poisonous snakes. Now when I had little kids playing in the yard I wasn't so easy to get along with and killed a few. Now that it's just adults here on the property I usually don't mess with them. Anyways, am glad you didn't get bit.
Here's a fun fact for you; in the US there's about 1.5 people killed by snake bit each year. (Ok, I don't really understand the half here but let's go with it). When you consider that number, compared to all the other things that can kill you, why are we all still creeped out by snakes?
I agree with you and I'm not too worried about myself getting bit. I like snakes, even rattlers. But when my dog gets bit and I kill 6 between my barn and house site, in an area of 100x100 yards, another at the pump house and one at the gate, and a few more on the road, that's too many. I realize they do a lot of good by eating rodents but I also have to take the safety of my wife and grandkids and our stock in to account.
I can ride for miles across our property and never see a rattler, but for some reason they seem to like where I decided to build.
Your right, very few people die from snake bites, but a lot of dogs do and some livestock does. My daughter watched her neighbours horse die from a snake bite this summer. A friend on mines bull got bit on the jaw last year. The bull survived but he looked like hell for awhile though. When I'm out away from home and come across a rattler I usually play with it and poke it with a stick but then let it go on its way.
One of the advantages of living in Alaska was there were no snakes.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I poured 5 yards of concrete today, yuk. The drive way had an area on a hill that was rough, but not anymore. I also fixed two creek spillways that had been eroding away. We're in a drought right now, and since the creek stopped flowing it was a good time to fix it. Still need to thin set some stones on it but it's allready better.

Latest posts

Back