Survival Knifes

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimLE

I wholeheartedly recommend the trail hawk or pipe hawk by cold steel!! They are 2 of the greatest survival hatchets on the market and you can find them online for around 30.00.

I would have to agree with Roninsensei, Cold Steel makes some fine knives, but I prefer my Smith and Wesson tomahawk it is made of one solid piece of steel so you never have to worry about a broken handle. Both are fine choices.

images
I have never used one of these and I have wondered about the strength of it.

me to..but i wonder who'll hate me next if i get that one..lol..it wont be colt on acount he aint the jelouse type..lmao

The problem that I have with the S&W Tomahawk is that its sold as a tactical tomahawk but weights in at over 2.5 pounds. I found it too difficult to recover from a missed swing easily. They at least didn't cheap out on the steel like they have with sooo many of their other bladed products, 1070 carbon steel with a fair heat treatment. All in all an ok fighter for a larger person but I'm 5'11 and 185 and still couldn't recover well from a miss. Plus this is missing a hammer side and for a survival hatchet that's important...

The problem that I have with the S&W Tomahawk is that its sold as a tactical tomahawk but weights in at over 2.5 pounds. I found it too difficult to recover from a missed swing easily. They at least didn't cheap out on the steel like they have with sooo many of their other bladed products, 1070 carbon steel with a fair heat treatment. All in all an ok fighter for a larger person but I'm 5'11 and 185 and still couldn't recover well from a miss. Plus this is missing a hammer side and for a survival hatchet that's important...

Great point, cold steel coming in 3/4 of a pound lighter is a huge difference.

I have never used one of these and I have wondered about the strength of it.
I've used mine to split small fire wood, and my son used his to butcher a deer they worked well for those tasks. As far as fighting with it I don't know, if I ever need to hit someone with an ax I must be out of bullets, shotgun shells, and arrows. I guess then I'll find out then how good of an ax fighter I am.

i dont either colt..and i think i will get it next payday any how..on acount i like it and i like the way it looks..and it has a removable ice axe pick to boot

nope..but i sure have seen some mighty cold winters where creeks n streams were froze over solid.and it'd be a sure way of getting to water if needed

i dont either colt..and i think i will get it next payday any how..on acount i like it and i like the way it looks..and it has a removable ice axe pick to boot

Right on ! We expect a FULL review !! I liked the removable ice ax and it has four screws. maybe lock tight them for good measure.

a full review will be complet when i find some ice to use it on

p.s.
ice cubes dont count......LOL

I just don't think a hatchet should be make of stainless steel. But for 20 dollars its not much of a risk. Abuse the hell out of one first before you risk your life on it!! Buy 2 one to test and one to keep. Maybe I'll pick one up to review...

good idea n point.but if i buy 2 just to find out that aint what im looking for,or not worth the money.then i've wasted money on 2 instead of just one.pluse 19.95 can go towards some thing else..

Well, for me the ice ax is useless. Not much ice where i live and the BOL is high desert. I am going with the
Cold Steel Rifleman's Hawk American Hickory Handle

31J%2Bj%2Bvu4RL._SX342_.jpg

Latest posts

Back