Government Shut Down

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still feel that this whole wall fight is insane. We don’t need billions of dollars for a wall. We need real immigration reform so that when people are caught being here illegally they are deported ASAP. I’m not against fencing, which we do have in many places, but billions?
Since we don't shoot intruders I say that both would be a good start.

If allowed to stay, they will get funded. The Democrats want and maybe even need these people, so no matter what they will get funded. Planned Parenthood abortion is not supposed to be funded either but it is easy to play with the numbers. Sanctuary cities, legal aid funds, refusing to work with ICE. Do you really believe they wont get funded? If you don't ask if they are illegal, then how could you keep illegals for getting an education, medical, or social plans? The wall will stop the majority of illegal crossings, not all. I would call it a success if it stopped even a quarter of the illegals but I expect it will stop 80 to 90%. As for DACA getting a path, no frigging way. You do not reward criminals (remember violated out immigration laws) with the greatest honor we have, citizenship. This not a gold start to handout for class participation. Getting to stay in the country is reward enough.
Almost 30K illegals caught a month, ridiculous, build the wall.

The government employees were so poorly prepared that they are taking handouts and idiots are saying they can't feed their children. Well well. That is what happens when you live paycheck to paycheck spending every nickel you earn. I don't make much, but I could get by for several months if I had to.

Last edited:
I feel like one good thing that is coming out of this is people are realizing just how much we rely on the government. . . and the consequences when it isn't there for us. I saw a list of all the things that will have happened or will be happening soon because of the shutdown, like when food stamp benefits will cut of, when the FDA will shut down, and when the USDA will shut down. I saw an article about how farmers don't know what to plant because the USDA hasn't told them yet. There were so many examples of things like this. If anything, this should teach people how important it is to become self-reliant (for example, prepping).

The government employees were so poorly prepared that they are taking handouts and idiots are saying they can't feel their children. Well well. That is what happens when you live paycheck to paycheck spending every nickel you earn. I don't make much, but I could get by for several months if I had to.
Agree 100%! The town has already opened the food banks for government workers to come in for items and I have heard restaurants are giving away food to government workers for free. Some people take as much as they can, really needed or not. . . . some will take as much as they can get and 'milk' their situation. IF I was ever in that situation, I would hope to show that I was a stronger person that could make it on my own. You think the people who milk the situation is going to appreciate and give back. Probably not. I might give a capable adult sympathy after about 6 months and that is still generous in my book.

Agree 100%! The town has already opened the food banks for government workers to come in for items and I have heard restaurants are giving away food to government workers for free. Some people take as much as they can, really needed or not. . . . some will take as much as they can get and 'milk' their situation. IF I was ever in that situation, I would hope to show that I was a stronger person that could make it on my own. You think the people who milk the situation is going to appreciate and give back. Probably not. I might give a capable adult sympathy after about 6 months and that is still generous in my book.
I think it's great that there are food banks helping people out and I am more than willing to help others who can't help themselves or just need an extra hand, like right now. I have been helped by others during hard times myself. But it's not the government's responsibility to help people out, and now that it's not there I hope people learn that. Also, the people in these situations need to learn from them (we all do) and not slip back into complacency. Now that I'm able, I save what I can and try to prepare for unforeseen emergencies so I won't be relying on others.

I think it's great that there are food banks helping people out and I am more than willing to help others who can't help themselves or just need an extra hand, like right now. I have been helped by others during hard times myself. But it's not the government's responsibility to help people out, and now that it's not there I hope people learn that. Also, the people in these situations need to learn from them (we all do) and not slip back into complacency. Now that I'm able, I save what I can and try to prepare for unforeseen emergencies so I won't be relying on others.
I agree that helping others is a good thing. I really hope that many will see the need for prepping after this but know most have a short memory. I realized the value of prepping long ago after a hurricane in Florida. You couldn’t get gasoline and I went into a Publix market near Orlando and it had been stripped clean. Just about the whole store was bare. Gave me enough of a wake up call.

Exactly! I mean you miss two paychecks and then you are in the bread line. Shame on you.

I agree that helping others is a good thing. I really hope that many will see the need for prepping after this but know most have a short memory. I realized the value of prepping long ago after a hurricane in Florida. You couldn’t get gasoline and I went into a Publix market near Orlando and it had been stripped clean. Just about the whole store was bare. Gave me enough of a wake up call.
In the early 90s I lived in Washington DC. I went out to get formula for my son. It was an absolute ghost town. I went to the grocery store Giant ( large chain grocery store) it was closed. This was around 6 pm. The Red Skins were in the Super Bowl. The town shut down. No formula. Lesson learned.

Stop the bleeding before worrying about applying the stitches.

this is a pretty good analogy.

Lets clarify one thing too....the Dems ALSO were fine with a wall, BEFORE.... They just oppose it now due to WHO is asking for it. This has nothing to do with the welfare of the nation, it's simply spite.

5 billion may SEEM like a lot, but in regards to the budget, it really isn't. Or do we forget about the 150 Million Obama paid Iran in ransom (basically, just tried to maneuver it as something else....even though 8 million of that, at least, was CERTAINLY a ransom). All were fine with that though. Including the media, which was quick to jump on any outlet that reported on the 8 million in cash on a plane in non-US currency to circumvent certain rules....

If people would learn to make from scratch they would save half the food bill and stop buying g'damn junk food for Christ's sake.

I save far more buying basic elements, including premade sauces that can then be doctored, pasta, bread, etc. than I would if buying ingredients to completely cook from scratch. Not to mention the time savings (which is also money saved). It's a happy medium.

Or do we forget about the 150 Million Obama paid Iran in ransom (basically, just tried to maneuver it as something else....even though 8 million of that, at least, was CERTAINLY a ransom). All were fine with that though. Including the media, which was quick to jump on any outlet that reported on the 8 million in cash on a plane in non-US currency to circumvent certain rules....

Million? Sorry, it was $1.7 BILLION. With a B. Or if you believe this article being more inclusive, it was $11.9 Billion. https://freedomoutpost.com/obama-pay-iran-11-9-billion-iran-end-nuke-talks-june/

All the money paid to Iran was their money to begin with. We held it because of sanctions. He used it as leverage to get them to release hostages when they were desperate for cash, but it was theirs to begin with. As far as childish defiance goes, bo5h sides are being petty right now. I still feel trump started it, but both are perpetuating it.

I save far more buying basic elements, including premade sauces that can then be doctored, pasta, bread, etc. than I would if buying ingredients to completely cook from scratch. Not to mention the time savings (which is also money saved). It's a happy medium.
I like cooking from scratch mostly to know what went into my food. I’m not crazy about eating ingredients that I can’t even pronounce or know what they are! (Meaning all the chemicals and crap in fine print).

Latest posts

Back