Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She met him in person at a TSC in Nashville and she thought he was funny. He sticks with people.

She and I also had a situation with a real White Supremacy guy and we talked about that. Lol

I've been off FB for a few years so I have no idea what's happening with her channels

I never candle and I don't worry about it. What hatches, hatches. The cross breeding is fine, unless you are set on certain breeds. I had Jungle Fowl I was raising, and they were kept on their own. So were the silkies. Now I just breed barnyard mixes, but I only have the larger heritage breed birds. Some of the mixes are really nice.

I checked the chicken chick's web site out. I ordered 2 saddles for my hens from her site. Her saddles were recommended by another you tuber I watch (The Featherbrain), as the best one. I had to separate the one white hen that the big rooster will not leave alone. It rained the past 2 days, and yeseterday her feathers on her were worn thin on each side, and wet, with two "bald" places, not bleeding but pink skin showing. I was afraid in a day or two the wounds would be bleeeding and the other hens would start pecking and kill her, I put triple antiobiotic on the wounds so hopefully with separating her for a bit, she will start healing up, then I'll put the saddle on her. I feel stupid, and terrible I should have separated her before yesterday. I will know next time I see feathers first starting to thin, to put a saddle on. None of the rest of them have any indication of "too much wear".

I have never had luck with saddles. I've bought a couple and then someone I met at the Chicken Chick event made one and gave to me. That one didnt work either. I've never had that much damage to a hen. I usually had 8 to 10 hens per roo.

The new rooster I have is a randy ole boy and when the Spring rush comes, I may see more wear and tear.

My eggs for today..one of the ladies is playing a trick.

Attachments

• 20240219_172514.jpg
    20240219_172514.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I get one of those small eggs now n then. No idea why. Also, occasionally get a huge double egger now n then, no idea why.

I had to separate another white hen today, who was starting to show pale pink wound on her sides and feathers worn off. I have 23 hens to 2 roosters! Youngest just now starting to crow and find the hens. I think that's not a bad ratio for 2 roosters. The oldest rooster is culprit that favors my 2 leghorns.
Anyone think I can use the biostructure silver gel I ordered from health ranger on the hens wounds?

I get one of those small eggs now n then. No idea why. Also, occasionally get a huge double egger now n then, no idea why.

I had to separate another white hen today, who was starting to show pale pink wound on her sides and feathers worn off. I have 23 hens to 2 roosters! Youngest just now starting to crow and find the hens. I think that's not a bad ratio for 2 roosters. The oldest rooster is culprit that favors my 2 leghorns.
Anyone think I can use the biostructure silver gel I ordered from health ranger on the hens wounds?

It's all natural.

I checked the chicken chick's web site out. I ordered 2 saddles for my hens from her site. Her saddles were recommended by another you tuber I watch (The Featherbrain), as the best one. I had to separate the one white hen that the big rooster will not leave alone. It rained the past 2 days, and yeseterday her feathers on her were worn thin on each side, and wet, with two "bald" places, not bleeding but pink skin showing. I was afraid in a day or two the wounds would be bleeeding and the other hens would start pecking and kill her, I put triple antiobiotic on the wounds so hopefully with separating her for a bit, she will start healing up, then I'll put the saddle on her. I feel stupid, and terrible I should have separated her before yesterday. I will know next time I see feathers first starting to thin, to put a saddle on. None of the rest of them have any indication of "too much wear".

I’ve used saddles/aprons for years on hens that need protecting. The right ones work very well! The absolute best thing for hens with skin problems or almost problems is Nu-Stock! I’m not kidding. It was made for horses, but has been used on everything from chickens to dogs. Had a chicken that something got ahold of with a large hole in its side. Never thought the hen would make it through the day, but coated it with Nu-Stock anyway. Don’t you know that hen lived?! It kills infections too.

Here is the strongest, most adjustable apron/saddle I’ve used. Absolutely protects the hen! They hate it for the first day, but then learn to ignore it.

Roll over image to zoom in
  • 5188S5zIR1L._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 61Bp9kfc+6L._AC_US40_.jpg

DOWN UNDER OUTDOORS Chicken Saddle with Adjustable Straps for Medium and Large Hens, Chicken Apron, Poultry Saver, Pet Supplies, Including Shoulder Cover (Blue)​

Brand: DOWN UNDER OUTDOORS
4.6 4.6 out of 5 stars 2,734 ratings
Amazon's Choice

I been been getting at least a dozen eggs per day out of 17 ladies. 3 or 4 of them are very old with one having arthritis so badly her toes are like a question mark. (Forrest Gump)

Yesterday I got 15 and the weather has been cold. This new feed has to be the reason. I don't use supplemental lightening.

I've been using the Down Under saddles and have no complaints.
My 3 chicks are growing like weeds and when I go in their coop and sit they all jump on my lap. Still planning on keeping 1 hen and letting my other hen hatch a couple eggs.
No complaints allowing my hen to be a mom. About 5 weeks in she let me know she had fulfilled he job and wanted to go back to her flock. The young dinosaurs are thriving, playing with each other, and bonding...I forgot to mention they love to eat, lots of different types of food mixed in with their feed.

I'm shooting for this weekend to put some eggs in incubator! I'm getting 15-17 eggs per day with 23 hens. Tells ya how many are aged out. Gonna try n bring myself to put the non laying in freezer...admittedly dreading it and will have to make myself get it done. Have a feeling i'll back out. If we were hungry, would be easier and I wouldn't fret over it. Aaarggh!

I'm shooting for this weekend to put some eggs in incubator! I'm getting 15-17 eggs per day with 23 hens. Tells ya how many are aged out. Gonna try n bring myself to put the non laying in freezer...admittedly dreading it and will have to make myself get it done. Have a feeling i'll back out. If we were hungry, would be easier and I wouldn't fret over it. Aaarggh!

It will be a good test. If you can't eat a chicken that you raised as a layer, how well will you survive in a critical SHTF event? Feed it to the others and eat a can of spam. There's always options.

If anyone is interested, Strombergs is running a sale on baby chick's. The have a pretty good selection, and the prices aren't bad either. You'll want to order early before there's a run on chick's. We always order ours early for delivery in June.
My first try using the incubator should be hatching on Saturday. Glory, I do not need 12 chick's. What was I thinking? Maybe they will all be roosters and we can give them away for soup making.

It is rather fun though. I got the dog cage ready today for after they hatch. Had to put deer netting around cage because I had one escape last year. He snuck through the bars and was running around the garage. I also ado cloth around the bottom half of cage because they throw pine shavings everywhere.

Latest posts

Back