Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put 12 eggs in the incubator. I'm having trouble adjusting the humidity. I could partly be the fact that it is pouring rain. I am getting closer though. I really don't need 12 new chick's, but my guess is I will mess up this first batch.

This incubator has a built in candler. One which day can you see an embryo?

Last edited:
I’ve never incubated eggs. Don’t have a rooster. But, this conversation is opening my eyes to the fact I should get an incubator for the coming times. It will be easy to get my hands on a rooster…if I do it quick enough before folks know what is happening. Many, many roosters close by. But hatching is going to need to be better regulated than trusting my current flock. They are layers, not momma type hens.

What brad incubators do you guys have?

I’ve never incubated eggs. Don’t have a rooster. But, this conversation is opening my eyes to the fact I should get an incubator for the coming times. It will be easy to get my hands on a rooster…if I do it quick enough before folks know what is happening. Many, many roosters close by. But hatching is going to need to be better regulated than trusting my current flock. They are layers, not momma type hens.

What brad incubators do you guys have?

2 of these
HatchMate™ Egg Incubator with Automatic Egg Turning and Humidity. Small & Portable for Hatching 9-12 Eggs. Hatch Chickens Quail Duck Turkey Parakeet & More

Mine was inexpensive, but my neighbor swears by it.

What brad incubators do you guy

Attachments

• 20240211_095357.jpg
    20240211_095357.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
My hens are still producing like crazy. I'm convinced it is the change in feed. No more Dumore or Purina for me.
Same here. We're using a local made feed from locally grown grains. It actually looks like feed, not like the pressed crap from the commercial manufacturers.

I have two of the Brinsea Octogon Incubators. You have to turn them. They hold about 24 chicken eggs, tall enough for turkey eggs. No frills but work well. Another week or so and I'll load them up. I always hatch our own, cull the extra roosters and eat them. Trade juniors in the neighborhood. Most of my neighbors do not have electricty, so they are interested in them when they're off the heat lamp.

So does mine AD. There is a light on top and you put an egg in it and the light is really bright. It's cool, I just don't know how long to wait before the embryo shows.
One of the incubators that I'm looking at has an automatic egg candler. Not sure how it works.

2 Questions:

I have 23 hens right now and 2RIR roosters. Hens are a variety of 1 or two of one breed or another. Variety ranges from americana, white jersey giants, golden comet, leghorn, black star, columbian wyandott, barred plymouth rock, cinnamon queen, golden wyandott, black moran, and 1 RIR left. I have 2 white chickens with a hint of mauve color on their side feather and I do not recall what breed those are. Anyway, one of those, seems to be the older roosters favorite (poor thing).

I read a lot of info on one side or the other about cross breeding. Some say hybrids don't live as long, some say they are healthier. I am getting close to the point I am going to attept to hatch some eggs. I did get incubator.

Any particular downside to cross breeding that any of you know of? Other than unless one wants pure breds only?

I wouldn't mind separating the 1 RIR with the older rooster though, just to keep 1 line of pure RIR off and on.

I just let my roosters do it with whomever they like. I have mentioned I haven't had much luck getting them to hatch so I got the incubator. I do have a cross breed of two pure breds. It turned out grey with feathered feet like her dad. She is large and healthy and 5 years old.

I know this doesn't answer you question. "THE CHICKEN CHICK" has extensive information on all things chicken. I have met her and talked to her via text a few times. She even wished my son happy birthday on her FB page.

I just let my roosters do it with whomever they like. I have mentioned I haven't had much luck getting them to hatch so I got the incubator. I do have a cross breed of two pure breds. It turned out grey with feathered feet like her dad. She is large and healthy and 5 years old.

I know this doesn't answer you question. "THE CHICKEN CHICK" has extensive information on all things chicken. I have met her and talked to her via text a few times. She even wished my son happy birthday on her FB page.

I bought one of her books years ago. Really like her work! That’s cool she wished your son HB!

Latest posts

Back