Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest reason I see for chickens laying in the wintertime....
age of chicken, first year is best, adding more protein to their diet, and absolutely increasing the amount of light they get.
But a chicken can only lay a certain amount of eggs in their lifetime. No matter what. So if you can increase their egg laying in the winter, then they won't lay as long the longer they live. That being said, some breeds lay better than others. I bought a pair of Jungle Fowl to raise one year, and they were pretty cool, but only laid one egg a week, even in the summer. I managed to hatch two chicks in the incubator.
I have two smaller incubators, each hold 22 chicken eggs, or about 15 turkey eggs. I don't mind the smaller incubators, I can control the humidity and temp better in them. I collected eggs for our son once, and he had a large incubator. Not a one hatched, and I know many of those eggs were fertile.

The wife just put in our chicken order last night. We always order cold hardy hens, and good winter layers. I don't care if a hen doesn't lay 300+ eggs a year, not when we have 30 hens. Every couple days is fine.
We also get hens that tend to get broody and are good mothers.
I'm going to order a couple hundred quail and chucker.
I've been looking at buying an incubator too. They really range in price.

I lost two of our older Jersey Giant Hens a few weeks ago during our below zero weather. Actually lost more (6) during a heatwave last summer. Just got so incredibly hot. Was actually sprinkling them down overhead with the hose during the afternoon. It happens. Always the older ones, going on their 4th year.

Someone gave me 5 hens and 2 roosters today . When I put the hens in their new home that worked out fine . However when I put one of the new rooster in the pen with the hens and the one rooster that I already had the two rooster started fighting . I took the new rooster out of the pen and let it run about un-confined . However then the two roosters tried fighting through the wire fencing . I thought about it for a while and then took the two new roosters that I was given and took them to confined area and left them with lots of feed a waterer fresh filled . At least the problem is solved for now but I may have to let the roosters out to free roam in which case they will likely be coyote food .

I got my first chickens last June and as the summer progressed we got up into triple digit temps I was beside myself watching them pant. I wiped them down with water, misted them, put in fans, nothing worked. I hit the net for info and found out chickens cool via their feet. I created a small wade pool about 2 inches deep, tossed in a frozen water bottle, and that worked, no more panting. I only had 3 hens and 1 Roo so a small wade pool and the fan was all that was needed.

Have or do any of you raise guinea fowl? We had some when I was growing up and they were noisy little SOB's...none the less, I am thinking of getting some. One of our out buildings (the 20 X 40) size has an open area loft in it on one side, that is pretty high up (as in large barn height), I was thinking maybe that might suffice for roosting areas for them ( I suppose if trained properly). All that said, I don't have a lot of time to try and train them to stay around if it entails a lot of time. Any advice?
I've either gone bird or bat shit crazy, because I am thinking of getting more ducks, and some Turkey, and quail. I have never had turkey or quail either.

For now, I am interested in feedback on the Guinea.

Why don't you butcher your extra roosters, Poltergeist? I do. Meat is fine.
I just set free 23 guineas I raised. Bought them at 4 weeks old at our monthly fowl auction, pd $3 a piece. Different colors. Kept them indoors in a brooder, feed is game bird starter (like you feed turkey babies). We have 23 acres, and I have no clue where they are sleeping. Have 2 large barns, an open barn, and a roundtop, so they're sleeping somewhere. They took off one morning to the neighbor's farm and made a bunch of noise in their driveway, then came back home. I love guineas because they keep the tick and chigger population down considerably. Still have to put food and water out for them, but will probably not need to when the bug population starts up. They are noisy, but I don't mind. They move in a herd, and are very entertaining. They come running in the morning to follow my feed wagon when I go out to do animal chores, knowing I'm going to dump chicken scratch out for them. They had to stay in our milkhouse for months before I released them because our weather was so bad. Just above freezing temps at night now, so it's fine. We lost 50 of them the year prior...neighbor's dog mostly, and a few to a raccoon.

Thanks for that feedback AH...I'm gonna give it more thought. Will probsbly write them off my list. I only have little over 10 acres, but I do have some neighbors on one side and wldnt want them running over into their yards. There is the critter factor also, as well as the occasional neighbors dog running over. Was an issue before trying to keep ducks. Letting them out for use of pond, they ultimately all got picked off by something.

--- This video reveals the wisdom of preppers that have a chicken flock . For any that do not , they may want to consider " trying " to obtain some chickens as it already appears to be a run on purchasing chickens . --- Actually this video covers much more than the egg crisis , such as Chase Bank has a cash problem .

Our six new young chickens have not started laying yet but they are only 4 months old so far...
We incubated and hatched them in the garage with a small incubator made for 15 eggs.
7 from 11 hatched but one dislocated its leg at the hip and only survived a month or so.
Glad we have them and hope they stay alive and healthy. God bless you all and your preps.

Latest posts

Back