White sweet potatoes

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrHenley

Top Poster
Global Moderator
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
Something we've discovered: white sweet potatoes. They are sweet potatoes, just a different variety that look and taste like a cross between regular sweet potatoes and Idaho potatoes. Shaped just like any other sweet potato but skin and flesh that look more like an Idaho potato. Even the skin is in between, thinner than a regular sweet potato, thicker than an Idaho potato. They are less sweet and have a milder taste than a regular sweet potato, more creamy texture and much more fiber than an Idaho potato.
We have replaced both regular sweet potatoes and Idaho potatoes with the white sweet potatoes.
Depending on how long you cook it (I like to air fry them whole), the flesh either has the texture of an Idaho potato or a regular sweet potato. The longer you cook it, the creamier and darker it gets. It's like you took a baked Idaho potato and mixed in some butter and sour cream. We don't put anything on them, not even salt. Since unlike an Idaho potato it is not a nightshade, there are no toxins if you undercook it.
The starch in them is supposed to help regulate blood sugar.
They make killer fries that could be mistaken for Idaho potato fries depending you how long you fry them.

Regular sweet potato (top) and white sweet potato (bottom)
7nTbkWl.jpg

Air fried white sweet potato
25 minutes @400°F (texture and taste close to a baked Idaho potato but creamier)
GsNcl3F.jpg

Most supermarkets here do not carry them, only one does that I've found so far. I need to check Fresh Market to see if they have them. They are about 20¢ per pound cheaper than the regular sweet potatoes.
I don't know where to get seeds, we've got one in a jar of water and it is putting out roots, so we're going to try to plant it.

Oh my! I want to grow some! Found these on Gurneys. Do you think these are the same ones…or close?

1652823702082.jpeg

O'Henry Sweet Potato
A Flavor Like No Other

Garden Talk

• Creamy, smooth and stringless flesh
  • Light, delicate flavor
  • Easy to harvest
The moment we tasted O'Henry, we were hooked! The creamy gold flesh is smooth and stringless. The flavor is lighter and more delicate than other sweet potatoes and has hints of honey and nuts. The sweet, aromatic tubers are also slightly drier than other sweet potatoes making them perfect for baking. The plants are 12 in. tall when mature and produce high yields of huge tan-skinned tubers that grow as a compact cluster underneath the plant, making them extremely easy to dig out. O'Henry does well in full sun, at planting sites that are rich in organic matter and have well-drained soil. 100 DAYS. Zones 3-9.

Oh my! I want to grow some! Found these on Gurneys. Do you think these are the same ones…or close?

View attachment 16283

O'Henry Sweet Potato
A Flavor Like No Other

Garden Talk

• Creamy, smooth and stringless flesh
  • Light, delicate flavor
  • Easy to harvest
The moment we tasted O'Henry, we were hooked! The creamy gold flesh is smooth and stringless. The flavor is lighter and more delicate than other sweet potatoes and has hints of honey and nuts. The sweet, aromatic tubers are also slightly drier than other sweet potatoes making them perfect for baking. The plants are 12 in. tall when mature and produce high yields of huge tan-skinned tubers that grow as a compact cluster underneath the plant, making them extremely easy to dig out. O'Henry does well in full sun, at planting sites that are rich in organic matter and have well-drained soil. 100 DAYS. Zones 3-9.
Close enough. The ones we are getting aren't completely "stringless" and I never noticed "honey and nuts" but we love them anyhow.

For those of us with summers to warm to grow spuds in decent quantities, sweet potatoes are the answer. Nothing will replace the IDAHO Spud! 😁
All I ever managed to grow in the garden was new potatoes. But I do love new potatoes no matter how you cook them!
And I guess that's one thing that you can't do with sweet potatoes.

Most supermarkets here do not carry them, only one does that I've found so far. I need to check Fresh Market to see if they have them. They are about 20¢ per pound cheaper than the regular sweet potatoes.
I don't know where to get seeds, we've got one in a jar of water and it is putting out roots, so we're going to try to plant it.

Doc, when I try to grow any potatoes purchased from the market, they do not grow. I was told they treat them somehow so they don't sprout. Have you grown any of your new potatoes from potatoes purchased in the market?

Doc, when I try to grow any potatoes purchased from the market, they do not grow. I was told they treat them somehow so they don't sprout. Have you grown any of your new potatoes from potatoes purchased in the market?

Can't answer for Doc, but I have successfully grown smallish red potatoes from purchased potatoes. I have a bag of red-skin potatoes I bought barely a couple weeks ago sitting right behind me that are FULL of huge sprouts! I've never had potatoes sprout so fast before! I'm wondering if the food shortages are forcing them to market too fast to bother with treating them with whatever they use to inhibit sprouting. I plan to take these to our BOL this week and plant them in ground ASAP. Also have some seed potatoes I bought from a seed supplier to plant out at the same time. I'll be able to compare which reds come in bigger and better. :)
P1040879.JPG

Last edited:
We just get or have potatos which have not been eaten and plant those with sprouts. We also do not harvest all of the red ones and left them in the ground all winter this year and they can up just where ever they could, Dill also and even some carrots. We have not even thought about sweet potatos or especially now white ones but I will start looking.

I put one in water and it put out new roots. So I am hopeful. :)

I'm making some more sweet potato slips for planting off a store-bought one in water, too. Main plant is 13" tall now, roots forming nicely and the little slips are just barely beginning to form up. Then I'll cut those off and plant. Hope it's not too late in the planting season. I figure small potatoes are better than NO potatoes. ;) Let us know how the white sweet potato slips go, Doc.

Latest posts

Back