Sweet potato greens

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrHenley

Top Poster
Global Moderator
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
My wife couldn't wait any longer and picked some leaves of both the white sweet potatoes and orange sweet potatoes to try them.

I had read that sweet potato greens were bitter, so I didn't expect to like them. BOY was I wrong! I tried some raw, and the white sweet potato leaves had no bitterness at all that I could detect, and the orange sweet potato leaves only had a hint of bitterness. These are going to go great in salad!

The orange sweet potatoes have climbed up the brick wall under the back porch and half way up the railing. They are close to a foot taller than the last time I looked at them. The white sweet potatoes are not growing any where near as fast, but they are definitely thriving.

I now have four raised beds for sweet potatoes, and in the last two beds that I planted only a few days ago, most of the plants are already breaking the surface.

Twenty years ago, I went to a Chinese restaurant to pick up an order, a college student was there,waiting for an order.
I was looking at the Sweet potato plant in pretty pot like house plants, when she ask if I knew what I was looking at.
I say yes, that we grew it on the farm, but never saw it as a houseplant.
She replied that she was a way from home, in college & missed her mother sweet potato greens.
That her mother would wilt them in a pan with salt & pepper.
I have learned that some cultures eat bean leaves also, guess you make the best with what you have.
I grow collards, turnips green & tender greens, so I have not tried sweet potatoes yet.
I have eaten turnips fries, just like potatoes fries, but with turnips.

Latest posts

Back