Whats for dinner 2023

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody have a good cream sauce/or other sauce recipe suggestion to go with Atlantic cod fish? I can look up recipes but would like tried and true recommendation from one of y'all...I'm back to taking off work early, or most regular folk end of day time), to make dinner due to Larry's deteriorating health..tomorrow night wild caught fish night (I know...it's not Friday yet)..

Would love any/all suggestions.

Here is a good sauce one!

Ingredients​

For the Cod:​

• 2 6-ounce wild Pacific Cod fillets (1/2-inch thick)
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/3 cup olive oil (divided)

For the Lemon-Garlic Sauce:​

• 2 garlic cloves, grated or minced
  • 1/2 lemon, thinly sliced
  • 1/3 cup white wine
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons soft butter
  • 1 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves

Instructions​

1. Pat the cod fillets with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
  2. Combine the flour, salt and pepper together and dredge the cod fillets.
  3. Heat a cast iron or heavy-bottomed skillet set over medium-high. When it is hot, swirl 3 tablespoons of the oil over the bottom of the pan and add the flour-dusted fillets. Cook for about 3 or 4 minutes. Do not move the fish. As the crust forms it will release from the pan. Give the fillet a nudge with a turner, after 3 minutes, if it moves flip it and cook the other side for 3-4 minutes. Transfer the fish to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.

1. In a small skillet or saucepan set over medium-low heat, heat the remaining olive oil and add the garlic and lemon slices and cook until the garlic is fragrant. Pour in the wine, chicken broth and the lemon juice. Simmer for 3-4 minutes. Remove and discard the lemon slices and taste to adjust seasoning.
  2. In a small dish, combine the soft butter and cornstarch to make a paste then stir in 2-3 tablespoons of the hot sauce. Whisk the mixture into the sauce and cook until slightly thickened, then stir in the thyme leaves. Transfer the sauce to a dish or pitcher. Plate the reserved fish and spoon the hot sauce over the fish.

Here is a good sauce one!

Ingredients​

• 2 6-ounce wild Pacific Cod fillets (1/2-inch thick)
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/3 cup olive oil (divided)

• 2 garlic cloves, grated or minced
  • 1/2 lemon, thinly sliced
  • 1/3 cup white wine
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons soft butter
  • 1 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves

Instructions​

1. Pat the cod fillets with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
  2. Combine the flour, salt and pepper together and dredge the cod fillets.
  3. Heat a cast iron or heavy-bottomed skillet set over medium-high. When it is hot, swirl 3 tablespoons of the oil over the bottom of the pan and add the flour-dusted fillets. Cook for about 3 or 4 minutes. Do not move the fish. As the crust forms it will release from the pan. Give the fillet a nudge with a turner, after 3 minutes, if it moves flip it and cook the other side for 3-4 minutes. Transfer the fish to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.

1. In a small skillet or saucepan set over medium-low heat, heat the remaining olive oil and add the garlic and lemon slices and cook until the garlic is fragrant. Pour in the wine, chicken broth and the lemon juice. Simmer for 3-4 minutes. Remove and discard the lemon slices and taste to adjust seasoning.
  2. In a small dish, combine the soft butter and cornstarch to make a paste then stir in 2-3 tablespoons of the hot sauce. Whisk the mixture into the sauce and cook until slightly thickened, then stir in the thyme leaves. Transfer the sauce to a dish or pitcher. Plate the reserved fish and spoon the hot sauce over the fish.
That sounds really good, garlic, lemon and butter…..with fresh fish, unbeatable.

Did you catch it? You stated fresh so I assumed you probably did. Nothing beats fresh food. Sounds simple and delicious Doc.
"Fresh" is what we call it if it has never been frozen. I am at my sister's house in Mississippi and the markets here get same day fish from the docks on the Gulf. You can tell it is very fresh.

"Fresh" is what we call it if it has never been frozen. I am at my sister's house in Mississippi and the markets here get same day fish from the docks on the Gulf. You can tell it is very fresh.
That’s how we define “fresh” as well. Why I assumed you caught it. Have a great time in Mississippi and enjoy the fresh seafood.

I guess I can't say mine was actually fresh...I'll just say Alaskan "wild caught" flash frozen. I still haven't made it. My butt was dragging yesterday afternoon and mother had made beef stew, so I took a container and we ate that. Today had to take larry for his weekly appt. We didn't get back til about 5:30. He wanted to stop and grab something on way home...maybe I'll make the fish tomorrow.

I guess I can't say mine was actually fresh...I'll just say Alaskan "wild caught" flash frozen. I still haven't made it. My butt was dragging yesterday afternoon and mother had made beef stew, so I took a container and we ate that. Today had to take larry for his weekly appt. We didn't get back til about 5:30. He wanted to stop and grab something on way home...maybe I'll make the fish tomorrow.
I hope you enjoy it. Listen, the closer to the water the better the meal. I’m sure freezing it immediately after it was Cleaned and dressed will be terrific.

Lets see yesterday I had a protein smoothy for breakfast. An avocado for lunch & beef stew for supper. And a big bag of Jax cheese curls for movie snacking. I watched True Lies & started binge watching House of Cards.

Whenever I am hungry for a sub, I go to Firehouse and order a medium pastrami and provolone on wheat, fully involved. It's always good!
Went to Firehouse last Friday with my wife. Had what I think was called New Yorker, it was Pastrami and Beef Brisket with provolone. That was a good sub.

Latest posts

Back