Wax cookers

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dies Irae

Reaction score
Pretty nice thing. It costs nothing and use mostly what you already have at home. This point of view is an essential part of my preps.
They are also an integral part of my dead boxes, they can be used for both cooking and lighting.
If I'm not carrying a gas stove with me, I'm using this little gadget.
These things can always be carried, like in a car where I don't want to carry a gas cartridge in the summer.
Things needed:
Can, wax, cardboard.
Simply melt the wax and pour into cans with rolled cardboard. The little red in the middle is a waxed match, it may or may not be, but it will make the ignition much easier.
Depending on the size of the can, the burning time is around 4 to 10 hours
They can be extinguished and reused, just suffocate the flame and let it cool down for a while.
A minor downside is that it will blacken your dishes, but it's not much worse than an open fire.
As for cans, you can use practically any can you got, just avoid those that are rubberized inside, those stink a lot more at first.

Screenshot_20220211_202510.jpg
Screenshot_20220211_202515.jpg
Screenshot_20220211_202521.jpg

I have a few of those made with cardboard also, but I put them in my expended and empty butane/propane little gas cartridges. Beer cans, coke cans all work. I also dropped an entire roll of toilet paper into melted wax and let it soak itself full and then cool off. Once lit, it also burns for over an hour but with a large illuminating flame like a torch. Both are watertight and last a while.
Good idea Dies Irae.
BTW: I think they are or were called "buddy heaters" a long time ago in the Boy Scouts of America.

Pretty nice thing. It costs nothing and use mostly what you already have at home. This point of view is an essential part of my preps.
They are also an integral part of my dead boxes, they can be used for both cooking and lighting.
If I'm not carrying a gas stove with me, I'm using this little gadget.
These things can always be carried, like in a car where I don't want to carry a gas cartridge in the summer.
Things needed:
Can, wax, cardboard.
Simply melt the wax and pour into cans with rolled cardboard. The little red in the middle is a waxed match, it may or may not be, but it will make the ignition much easier.
Depending on the size of the can, the burning time is around 4 to 10 hours
They can be extinguished and reused, just suffocate the flame and let it cool down for a while.
A minor downside is that it will blacken your dishes, but it's not much worse than an open fire.
As for cans, you can use practically any can you got, just avoid those that are rubberized inside, those stink a lot more at first.

View attachment 15210View attachment 15211View attachment 15212
I was making these in the Boy Scouts in the 70's...We were also making waterproof matches.

Time to break out my Handbook and Fieldbook and become a prepping guru on YouTube.

UK-Ghost,

Could you supply some photo's of the cooker itself please or a link to the details?

The cooker is an old shoe polish tin
Corrugated Cardboard strips cut to JUST over the tin height, packed as tightly as possible.
Leftover candle wax from Tealights and candle sticks melted and poured over.

The pot stand cooker is an old tuna tin.

They're cheap to make, fuel stable and easy to dot around different kits.

Attachments

• 20220305_162307.jpg
    20220305_162307.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
I have several Sterno stoves that these wax candles work good in. They are small but will hold a small pot or pan. You could also burn twigs or pine cones in it too. They're light weight, fold flat and cost very little too.

Latest posts

Back