Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So melting KOH in water and than mixing it with oil would do the same job as melting KOH in alcohol and mixing it with oil???
I'm guessing it would work with constant mixing, not 100% certain though. If it did work, it would require serious agitation to keep the two mixed as neither water nor KOH is soluble in oil. Someone with an ultrasonic homogenizer should give it a try on a small scale. I have a hunch it wouldn't take very long at all. KOH alone is strong enough of a base to hydrolyze the glycerin-fat ester group, its just not soluble in it. I don't see why this process couldnt be improved using much less methanol, more water and ultrasonic agitation as a "turn on and walk away for an hour" solution. Just brainstorming here because it sounds like your situation could benefit from more efficient means for long-term stability. Its worth trying is all. One of these days Ill get me an ultrasonic parts washer.

I will admit that I only render our animal fat. Never vegetable and wouldnt even know where to start there. Anyone have the "How to"s" on that one. I have rape seeds that are good for oil making. They produce yellow flowers then seeds that you can turn into an oil "with a press"?? Havent done a lot of reseach on it although I plant every couple years to get a replenish of seeds just in case.

Animal fat I can tell you all day long the easiest way that requires the least amount of work.

Someone with an ultrasonic homogenizer should give it a try on a small scale. I have a hunch it wouldn't take very long at all.
Well those are quite expensive to start with xd. And looks like its on really small scale. This process has to be a crude and " simple "
"turn on and walk away for an hour" solution.

They actually have devices that do this by them self. I think capacity is 80 gallons for the cheapest one of $10000.
And all you do is put in the feed stock, methanol and KOH or equivalent and let it run and it produces biodiesel on one side on the other "waste" products

Animal fat I can tell you all day long the easiest way that requires the least amount of work.
If you are wiling to explain your process would be nice ?
I can tell you process of turning animal fat to biodiesel is basically the same except you have to render out the fat and than heat it up until its all melted and than do the same process as with veggie oil.

Anyone have the "How to"s" on that one. I have rape seeds that are good for oil making.
Yes rape seed is very good for oil making. I don't know exact way of collecting seeds and preparing them for press.
But i can tell you there is hand cranked presses that you can use to cold/hot press the oil( one i was looking at has adjustable pulleys that you can connect to a motor/engine setup and run it like that too) ,they use small table candle or alcohol burner under them and that way you raise the temperature of the press to working temperature. After that press keeps its self at needed temperature because it releases heat while pressing the seeds.
Then its simple let it sit for a few day maybe a week and then siphon of the oil while you keep water/sediment on the bottom.
Then it depends what you want it used for you can filter it down to 5 microns ( People are using jeans to do this) or keep it as is. Depends what you using it for.

Maybe you will need antioxidants for it ( this I don't know much about). I don't think I will need to preserve it for a long time. I will be making it on demand. My storage options would be to store the seed as is and using the seed primarily for feed stock for animals, than if I need some fuel for my machines I make my self some fuel. Also you can use what's leftover after pressing to feed the animals as a high protein/carb diet or ferment it to get alcohol to burn somewhere else. After fermenting using the leftovers as high protein food for animals. And if you wanna go really deep, using the manure that animals produce after consuming all from the above , to create methane with biodigesters. Dude I'm crazy about producing my own fuel be it gas , liquid or solid .

Last edited:
Some companies have a conversation kit that lets you run a diesel engine on waste oils

Yeah i saw those too. But they are kind of hard to get in Croatia. I was thinking more like just adding another tank for veggie oil and after machine heats up switch the fuels.
Can i have a link to this please :)

Well those are quite expensive to start with xd. And looks like its on really small scale. This process has to be a crude and " simple "

They actually have devices that do this by them self. I think capacity is 80 gallons for the cheapest one of $10000.
And all you do is put in the feed stock, methanol and KOH or equivalent and let it run and it produces biodiesel on one side on the other "waste" products

If you are wiling to explain your process would be nice ?
I can tell you process of turning animal fat to biodiesel is basically the same except you have to render out the fat and than heat it up until its all melted and than do the same process as with veggie oil.

Yes rape seed is very good for oil making. I don't know exact way of collecting seeds and preparing them for press.
But i can tell you there is hand cranked presses that you can use to cold/hot press the oil( one i was looking at has adjustable pulleys that you can connect to a motor/engine setup and run it like that too) ,they use small table candle or alcohol burner under them and that way you raise the temperature of the press to working temperature. After that press keeps its self at needed temperature because it releases heat while pressing the seeds.
Then its simple let it sit for a few day maybe a week and then siphon of the oil while you keep water/sediment on the bottom.
Then it depends what you want it used for you can filter it down to 5 microns ( People are using jeans to do this) or keep it as is. Depends what you using it for.

Maybe you will need antioxidants for it ( this I don't know much about). I don't think I will need to preserve it for a long time. I will be making it on demand. My storage options would be to store the seed as is and using the seed primarily for feed stock for animals, than if I need some fuel for my machines I make my self some fuel. Also you can use what's leftover after pressing to feed the animals as a high protein/carb diet or ferment it to get alcohol to burn somewhere else. After fermenting using the leftovers as high protein food for animals. And if you wanna go really deep, using the manure that animals produce after consuming all from the above , to create methane with biodigesters. Dude I'm crazy about producing my own fuel be it gas , liquid or solid .
Hand-Cranked Oil Press
1612727793684.png

Is this the type of press you are talking about?
When I render animal fat (lard) I cut up into 1-2 inch chunks then throw in an electric roasting pan with water underneath the pan on medium. Stir on occasion until melted down,

Hand-Cranked Oil Press
View attachment 12118
Is this the type of press you are talking about?
When I render animal fat (lard) I cut up into 1-2 inch chunks then throw in an electric roasting pan with water underneath the pan on medium. Stir on occasion until melted down,
Yes that's the one I was thinking about. Quite useful on small to medium scale.

So i have been playing with my waste oil. Tried to siphon it with gravity but for the love of God, I don't have large enough hose. Max diameter I have is 3mm. So i used my cheap automatic watering pump to siphon the oil out of the bigger canister. It runs on 5 watts xd. But its doing its job even though oil is quite thick its still pumping. I even tried to pump out the second layer and its pumping but I wont be using the second layer. I will use only first layer for the next tests.

I managed to get 3.5 Liters which is close to a gallon of oil( well mostly oil)
I will find some old jeans and try and filter it out later today/tomorrow.
two bottles.jpg one bottle.jpg PUMP.jpg
Here is some pics to see wuss up.

Latest posts

Back