This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well,this week it's to the hardware store and buy a metalbucket with a tight lid and some metaltubing, I'm gonna do me a waterstill.
wanna have it ready if I need it.

ok..sounds great...is it to late to plant them?

i now have 7 okra from plants.so i now need to figure out what kind of meal to go with :)

ok..sounds great...is it to late to plant them?

i now have 7 okra from plants.so i now need to figure out what kind of meal to go with :)
I don't think it's too late for you. Mine have been growing since the end of April. If the seeds aren't too expensive, I'd give it a shot. You should have a longer growing season than I do and if this stupid rain ever stops, I plan on trying yet again to get a garden going. It won't freeze here again until December at the earliest.

ok great..gonna have to wait till i have the seeds thoe.i hope they'll be here by saturday..but it could be monday next week some

It's been a busy, worrisome week. With Ebola in the news everywhere you look, we are reminded of how vulnerable we are. But Ebola is only one of many things that can kill us. There is a pandemic every year in the form of the flu. An average of 500,000 people die globally from the flu every year. I am at high risk with COPD and Asthma, with a current lung capacity of about 46%.
So today I placed an order for N95 face masks, nitrile gloves and essential oils to strengthen my lungs. I also ordered the seeds for next year's garden that I was going to wait on. I ordered the Baofung radio that Clyde recommended. I ordered the USB solar charger, as well.
I purchased quite a few other items, as well, that now have me as close to being fully prepared as I can be where I'm located.
I also did a lot of canning this week and froze vegetables in preparation for more canning next week. I'm making good inroads on my prepping plans.

well i got my vegetable seeds yesterday..golden acre cabbage,,jalapeno pepper,,long red cayenne pepper,,pinto bush bean,,dark red kidney bean,,blue lake pole bean,,great northern bean,,and mary washington asparagus...and i hoping to get my Calamus today..

well im definitely getting stocked up on seeds..okra and tomato i got planted.so i'll be getting seeds from them........Early Summer Crookneck squash.. ,,Emerald okra,,Carrot: ,,Tendersweet National Pickling cucumber,,Habenero Hot Pepper,,Lincoln Shell Sweet Pea,,Black Eyed Pea,,Butterfly Weed - Pleurisy Root - Asclepias tuberosa ,,Borage ,,Anise Hyssop,,Iroquois Cantaloupe Nicotiana rustica (Midewiwan Sacred Tobacco),,Borage,,Anise Hyssop,,Iroquois Cantaloupe,,Nicotiana rustica (Midewiwan Sacred Tobacco),,Parsley: Single (Broad) Leaf,,Lemon Mint,,Garlic Chives,,Genovese Basil,,Cinnamon Basil,,Golden Bantam corn seeds,,golden acre cabbage,,jalapeno pepper,,long red cayenne pepper,,pinto bush bean,,dark red kidney bean,,blue lake pole bean,,great northern bean,,and mary washington asparagus,,Calamus..

Calamus Budded rhizome cutting (Acorus calamus var. americanus)
The aromatic rhizome of this plant is taken as a fresh chaw or dried, ground and made into an oil for filling the "neti pot" or taken as a liquid extract, tea, or even smoked—used to improve digestion and sharpen the mind. It is an aromatic bitter of the first degree utility, and that rhymes. Its two, two, two herbs in one! Plant prefers pond, streamside or moist or sodden soil—excellent filter plant in pondscapes, it will clarify yucky water and promote health of any waterway or pond. Our strain is originally from Saskatchewan, particularly well suited for medicine. More and more, people are awakening to the power of Calamus.
Plant prefers full sun to part shade and moist soil or shallow water at the edge of the pond. Just press the rhizome and rootlets down into the mud with the green shoots pointing up toward the sun and you will see great results. Clarifies the water as it does the mind!

P.S...and i just thought of the idea location for them

we have 3 ponds here..but will only fish from them.and wont plant anything of use around them.on account it'll be to easy for them to get destroyed by someone else,and most n likely by mistake,more then any thing else..plus the fields their in gets used as pastures during the winter.and hay fields during the summer..

Jim, keep in mind that if you plant asparagus seeds, it will be 3 years (or 2, I can't remember) before they will actually produce asparagus for you. I'd get them and plant them in a movable container if I were you. I bought asparagus roots at Tractor Supply in the spring that will produce for me next year and planted them in a container - a large container as they will also drop seeds, by the way - They are now nearly 3 feet tall, but nothing edible until next year.
I've planted asparagus twice now and it died both times! I'll prep the area better next spring and try one more time. And yes I've read it's two yrs at least, but better if you cut off the tips so it will make the plant stronger for the third year. They will produce for years to come as well.

Finally built my easy use chicken feeders and put them up. Made and put up two of them in different spots in the coup.

Holds a lot, so I don't have to put feed out as often, and the gravity feed means they always have access. In addition, stays dry in the rain. A little pricey for all the components though, but still under $15 per feeder (and I have enough left over PVC pipe to make two more if I wanted. It's the elbows and the caps that are pricey. I could have gone with a cheaper simple cap too, but I like the ease of the screw off kind. Otherwise, would have had to put a hook or handle to make the simple cap easy to remove.

chickfeed3.jpg

My wife suggested doing the same for the rabbits, but I have a feeling they'd simply gnaw at the PVC soon enough (and that can't be good for them). Maybe using gutter material instead?

Last edited:
hey,if you but something like that from the store,the prize would not be like 15bucks...think you should add a 0 after that 15...and that looks great :)

and today,well looking at my clock,yesterday I did order a new first-aid kit and a new scope for my 10/22

Finally built my easy use chicken feeders and put them up. Made and put up two of them in different spots in the coup.

Holds a lot, so I don't have to put feed out as often, and the gravity feed means they always have access. In addition, stays dry in the rain. A little pricey for all the components though, but still under $15 per feeder (and I have enough left over PVC pipe to make two more if I wanted. It's the elbows and the caps that are pricey. I could have gone with a cheaper simple cap too, but I like the ease of the screw off kind. Otherwise, would have had to put a hook or handle to make the simple cap easy to remove.

chickfeed3.jpg

My wife suggested doing the same for the rabbits, but I have a feeling they'd simply gnaw at the PVC soon enough (and that can't be good for them). Maybe using gutter material instead?
Nice! I made a waterer that's very similar, and drilled the nipples into the bottom cap. I'll try this for the food as well now.

Okra coming in faster than we can pick it . Squash that I thought was dieing off made a come back and is still putting on a little . Pumpkin patch that is " out side the wire " by it self is huge plants full of blooms and every time the little pumpkins get about football size and start to turn yellow the chickens get them . Stopped by the local big box and bought some 5.56 and 9mm filled another ammo can . Finaly did something I have wanted to do for decades and ordered me some Bamboo plants . I ordered the kind that was imported from China in the 1920's by USDA not the huge timber Bamboo like Moso but the kind used for fishing poles and crafts . Make good booby traps too .

you lucky one...my first fishing pole was of bamboo,can still remember how it felt and the smell...

Bamboo, that is a GREAT idea. Makes a good barrier and natural fence too.

Nice! I made a waterer that's very similar, and drilled the nipples into the bottom cap. I'll try this for the food as well now.

Yeah, I'm still working on how I will do a better waterer. I have some ideas. I think my simple one will win out.

Latest posts

Back