This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got another row of block laid today, and put sealant on another two feet of the outside. If anyone else is considering this kind of project, trust me, dig the hole large enough to work from the outside of the walls. I'm having to lean over the walls and brush on sealant, which ensures I get covered with the stuff too! Before I backfill I will also apply roofing felt to the walls as well. That gives me a double layer to seal out water, and with the French drain at the bottom should keep it dry inside. At least it's starting to look like a shelter!
image.jpg

looking good there Brent......................... don't see your ventilation air input

Last edited:
looking good there Brent......................... don't see your ventilation air input
So far I have about 700. in it. I have the block to finish the walls but will need a little more rebar for the roof and of course a concrete truck to do the walls and ceiling pour. I have not worked on the door yet either. I was hoping to pull this off for just over 1000. but will be over that. I am going to have a vent pipe and a secondary escape tube thru the roof as well. If you have an outward opening door any debris from a storm could trap you, so an emergency exit is important. I thought about an inward opening door but it's not nearly as strong.

How far from the coast are you? Just wondering. . I am about an hour and haven't found a way to put in a root cellar in my area yet.
If you build it on the ground you can mound over it with dirt, accomplishing the same idea. I kind of like living like a hobbit!

Just bought online the Smittybilt Element Ramps for about $150. I have a nice ramp, but thought these were better at being stowed away in the BOV. They come with a nice case. Any one own these and can tell me how well they did in mud and snow? Here is what they had their website.

716f090f262ef651725fc438e6c1cc03.jpg

Im throwing out a challenge to everyone to post what they do for prepping. I know time and money can limit what people can get done. Even one thing a week, no matter how small gets you one step closer to your goals. Over the next year this should be a huge thread and all of us should have 50 projects done.

This week my son and I picked up 700 223 brass and 800 40cal brass to reload. Cost was nothing but an hours time. Now the work starts to prepare it to reload and locate bullets.

What have you accomplished this week?
Just got done updating BOB bags. Been busy with work haven't been able. To do much.

Updating first aid kit and replacing the trauma kit, wife ordered these medical books; The Survival Medicine Handbook: A Guide for When Help is Not on the Way: by Joseph Alton, Amy Alton (and) Where There is No Animal Doctor: by Dr. Peter Quesenberry, Dr. Maureen Birmingham
I'd really like to get a copy of the vet guide to have on the shelf.

i just got my first 2 okra..im thinking of saving the seeds from these ones for next year

View attachment 3232
Ive been reusing my okra seeds for about five yrs now. I read that its best to leave some okra on the stalk at the end of the season. Just let it dry out naturally and when hard and dry just store the whole pod till spring and break it open when ready to plant. Its worked for me so far. I made the mistake of planting my okra next to the corn this year, which over shaded it and my plants were small. I finally pushed over the corn and the okra is taking off now. Ive frozen some, canned some and fried some with potatoes so far. Good stuff!

Ive been reusing my okra seeds for about five yrs now. I read that its best to leave some okra on the stalk at the end of the season. Just let it dry out naturally and when hard and dry just store the whole pod till spring and break it open when ready to plant. Its worked for me so far. I made the mistake of planting my okra next to the corn this year, which over shaded it and my plants were small. I finally pushed over the corn and the okra is taking off now. Ive frozen some, canned some and fried some with potatoes so far. Good stuff!
The only problem I've seen with leaving things to go to seed on the plant is that that tells the plant to stop producing. If you pick all of your veggies when they are ready, using other methods for saving seed, your plants will continually produce throughout the season. Of course, if you're already getting more than you can use, that won't matter.

i planted my garden where my tomato and okra plants will,and do get direct sun the better part of the day..and my corn is on opposite side of them from the sun..

what i need to know..is the best route to take when it comes saveing the seeds...

i just came across this youtube video.on okra seeds..but there's nothing about drying them out.and/or what ever

Latest posts

Back