This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up a bulk meat order,
Chicken breast.
Chicken thighs.
Chicken quarters.
Sirloin tri-tips.
Ground beef.
1 10lbs slab bacon. Will cut that up into 1lbs slabs, and cure those starting tomorrow.

I have raised and processed about 20 hogs now.
Looking at the pork belly we bought yesterday, it looked more like something out of a 80s slasher movie.
Not nearly the fat layer I was expecting either. It came as a single 10lbs cut, so this had to be a big hog.
Still, it will eat.
Half in maple syrup, the other half in brown sugar.

Got our fuel delivered yesterday, off road diesel and non-ethanol premium. Over $1800 of fuel. Got another cord of firewood in. Killed a rattlesnake by the house. This is the third rattler in a week. I guess when its this dry they come around the house because of the water. Almost have the new ATV shed finished. Later this week the 250 gallon propane tank should be delivered for the new pump house generator.
Going out this morning to get some new tools for my boat building project and a new BBQ. This will replace the one that got crushed when a chunk of ice fell off my roof this spring.

• Ordered more beans, pulses, legumes.
  • Updated the evacuation bags
    • Rotated medicines
    • Bigger clothing for the kids
    • Rotated the food and water
    • Upgraded the torches and lanterns
    • Upgraded the first aid kit
  • Got the kids Christmas gifts (anticipating shortages in more and more areas)
Need to get next week
  • Bigger shoes for the kids
  • Oxo cubes and canned tomatoes

• Ordered more beans, pulses, legumes.
  • Updated the evacuation bags
    • Rotated medicines
    • Bigger clothing for the kids
    • Rotated the food and water
    • Upgraded the torches and lanterns
    • Upgraded the first aid kit
  • Got the kids Christmas gifts (anticipating shortages in more and more areas)
Need to get next week
  • Bigger shoes for the kids
  • Oxo cubes and canned tomatoes
One of my relatives (who is an prepper) told me that buy ing Huge bags of beans ( assuming thats you bought) are not that smart. If an disaster strikes, soaking takes a bunch of water and & cooking them are a waste of fuel and energy. Buying Pre-Canned beans are a good choice, and they don't go bad. Now if You are canning beans for a disaster, well thats the way to go.

One of my relatives (who is an prepper) told me that buy ing Huge bags of beans ( assuming thats you bought) are not that smart. If an disaster strikes, soaking takes a bunch of water and & cooking them are a waste of fuel and energy. Buying Pre-Canned beans are a good choice, and they don't go bad. Now if You are canning beans for a disaster, well thats the way to go.

Neither water nor fuel will be a problem for me. Artesian well and hundreds of acres of oaks.

Soaking the beans will add moisture that you need to survive. You just don’t put in too much.
Its the old debate Rice vrs Pasta. Rice absorbs what you put in, pasta only to a point.
if you use the pasta water to clean the dishes, then water plants, it balances out

I hear you, there are so many details to take into account when prepping, weighing pros and cons and odds.
We have a mix of dried and canned. We eat what we stock and stock what we eat so it's in constant rotation. We live a a fairly wet area surrounded by rivers and streams, plus we stock bottled water, but hopefully our preps are never needed for a long lasting situation.

Got our back up generator (#3) today on sale - last one in the store.
Storage containers and getting ready for the move.
I really need to take inventory of everything and determine more what we need.

Going to pick up some wine today :cool:

While I was tending to livestock, wife went to town for groceries.
She added additional things to our already well stocked pantry. More dry goods, oils of differing kinds, coffee, tea, toothpaste, sugar and salt.
She noted more holes or one front items on the shelves.

I am not ruling out the possibility the supply vs demand is going to cause a seize in the economy and we wake up one day with hyperinflation.

Just finished setting up the new Winco 12 kw propane generator at the pump house. Got a 250 gallon propane tank feeding the generator and the heater inside the pump house.
The electrician said he'll be out in a week or two to hard wire the generator and add a couple sensors so that it will operate automatically. Until then I'll still be using my engine driven welder to run the well pump for now.

Latest posts

Back