This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way I see it, the bands and lids have worked for a hundred years, why change? We have tried most of the new and approved canning devices and always ended up going back to the bands and lids. Maybe it's just me?
I thought that they used beeswax not too long ago, or is that regional?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I thought that they used beeswax not to long ago, or is that regional?

I don't think it's regional, it was more a preference given at the time it was cheaper than the bands and lids, lids and seal rings, I used it years ago (wax/jelly), I haven't seen canning wax/jelly here for some time. Mason had the canning lids with seals in the 19th century ;)

I got 2 batches (11 jars) in this weekend. Took me about half a day. I still get some water at the bottom of the jar, even though I tried to use only the flesh. What a mess, too.

With practice you get faster and make less mess. When I first started it was a major event, but now I can do other tasks between steps.

I rotated and reorganized my main pantry today! (Got rained out outside and had to occup my OCD). I made room for the 13 freeze dried cans I ordered the other day, which five arrived today. I also made enough room to get a list together and hope to top it all off tomorrow. Time consuming, but it’s always a good feeling knowing I’m pretty well prepared.
I was actually disconnecting the county water from the house and doing the final connection of the new well line I put in over the last week. I got a new dedicated electric line in conduit beside the water line so the well has no power drop from a shared line. Just as I was making the last of the connections down in a hole in Georgia clay, it rained so hard you couldn’t see ten feet! Needless to say I was wallowing in the slippery stuff. Anyways, I just finished the house connection, but wasn’t able to hook the laundry room back up. It looks like rain for the next two or three days, and I’m really not looking forwards to playing down in the mud again.... I still need to connect the kids house at the well and their house too, but at least the main line is buried already. Getting the well drilled was the easy part of this project.

I’d like to learn about using an alternative like that. My little understanding was it was only good for waterbath canning as the pressure canning is too hot and melts it out.

My grand parent used the wax in like the wire-clamped jars such as lightning, atlas, ball and McDonald jars, the seal wasn't always reliable so they used the wax as a back up. they couldn't afford new jars and lids with seal rings.

I hired a new electrician last week. He was clean cut, 15 yrs experience, seemed impressive so I agreed to pay more than I wanted to get some decent help. On the fourth day he overslept and I had to wake him up. On the fifth day he toasted 4 new LED lights by wiring them backwards. Needless to say I’m still in the market for another electrician....

Ordered 10 boxes each

Hornady Critical Duty 40 S&W 175 Grain - 20 rounds box

Gold Dot HP 40 S&W 180 Grain - 50 rounds box

Federal Premium HST .40 S&W 165 Grain JHP - 50 rounds box

Federal LE Tactical .40 S&W 165 Grain HST - 50 roundsbox

Hornady Critical Defense 12 Gauge 2-3/4 00 Buckshot - 10 rounds box

Still waiting on concrete for the stem walls and setting the solar panel mount. They were supposed to pour yesterday. Had the crane on hold but had to cancel.
So instead I went to Tractor Supply and picked up feed and another galvanized feeder for the pigs.
Also picked up some .410 and .22 bird shot ammo for snake control. Killed another rattlesnake in the garden last night. That's 3 rattlers in less than a week, and one was under the front steps. I dont know how well the .22 bird shot will work on snakes, but they do a good job on chipmunks.
Still hot, dusty and smokey here. It hit 90 degs yesterday for the second time this summer. No change in sight.

Last edited:
@Arcticdude

Snake shot will work, it has worked for me in the past. I prefer the 357 load but have used 9 mm and 22. They all work, if you are close enough and hit the mark. They don't do squat from 40 feet. Just like any shotgun. you have to hit the target, up close and personal. Note: The 9 mm will only work the slide in light weight semi-auto (Ruger LC9s) type pistols. I have only used the 22 shot shells in revolvers, so have no first hand info on how they work in a semi-auto pistol.

I hired a new electrician last week. He was clean cut, 15 yrs experience, seemed impressive so I agreed to pay more than I wanted to get some decent help. On the fourth day he overslept and I had to wake him up. On the fifth day he toasted 4 new LED lights by wiring them backwards. Needless to say I’m still in the market for another electrician....
How can an experienced electrician wire something backwards? That's crazy.

Latest posts

Back